Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old May 18th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Corporal

Shan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German Motorcycles and their Units

I just wanna tell you what I've done so far: I created my personal Kradschuetzen company along the lines of the great website provided by the other guys. In '39, for example, the company has 3 platoons each with 3 6-men sections , I classed those as light infantry. They have K-98k, LMG-34, hand grenades and pistol, unit size 1. Each such section has its own MC transport, classed as Motorcycle. Size=1, 3men, 6 men carrying capacity, amament: K-98k, pistol. The 4th section of each platoon is a light 5cm grenade launcher troop (3men, already exists).

Then, the company has a 4th platoon with 2x MMG-34 half-sections, those already exist, an 2x MC transports.

During the course of the war, weapons change of course (MPi-40 instead of pistoly, MG-42s, ...), and TO&E as well, but not significantly.

I used unit class= light infantry for my Kradschuetzen - later in the war the Luftwaffe units use the same class as well but I dont see a problem with that, you just have to take care what you buy. Also, I created a dedicated 'Kradmelder' who cannot dismount from his bike, this being a 2-men unit IIRC, but basically the 3-men MC transports can do the same job.

I am now using such a company in my North Africa-based long campaign, and it fights quite well!
Losses are of course there due to the nature of their mission, but the 6-men sections are doing well, and their bikes often recovered them out of trouble... only the 5cm grenade launchers are quite useless, I normally use them for direct fire thoguh and then they're not too bad. Overall, I'm quite happy with the results, they were better than expected. I'll also do something similar for the Fuesilierkompanie (bicycle infantry), should work accordingly.

Regards,

Shan

I am now using such a formation
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

Good day all.

After our discussions, and some trial and error I've decided to keep my single MC sidecar Unit, with various arms as per time period, amended to reflect less men (3)plus a size of 0. I decided not to use the Scout/MC transport combo,(I tried it) while even more versatile than a MC unit, I found with the KG sizes I command the MC unit was a little more practical. Of course, 30 battles latter may prove me wrong.

As for formations, I've gone with two creations based on what DIV might pass down to a KG for their use. I've formed a PzKrad Aufkl Gp:

3 x MC/sidecars
2 x MG armed Kubelwagen w 4 men

Plus a PzKrad Spah Gp:

3 x MC/sidecars
1 x (le)Panzerspahwagen
1 x (sw)Panzerspahwagen

One of each will be Recce for the KG on my new campaign. I'm going to try and keep a running AAR on this campaign.

Cheers, Bob

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Corporal

blitzkreig is on a distinguished road

Good to to see your still experimenting!

Would you fellas consider posting your modded OOB16 so other folks can have a look how the formations handle? It would also be useful to get some more feedabck from anyone else reading this as to whether asking for this to be looked at by the designers is worthwhile or of interest to anyone other than the three of us!

Pz Bob & shan could you spare the time to let folks know how the different MC units are performing in your games?

I intended to start screening through the scenarios to see how many would be effected if a change was to be on the cards. Some potenial flaws already though!

1. Any change would probaberly require the creation of new units. The German OOB does'nt have that many left.

2. The scenarios would need changing

3. Possible consquences on other OOBs using MC units.

Worth the bother I ask you all? Opinions please......

On a similar vain has anyone looked into the accuracy of the other german Recce units or played around with a Kubelwagon mounted recce force?

"Boot 'em, don't spatter 'em!" - Heinz Guderian

Ian

Old May 25th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Corporal

np, here it comes. I already posted about the performance - I'm quite happy with it! You'll find the relevant units versus the ent of the OOB, Formations also, but I didn't create many variations in the case of the units as there's a lack of empty unit slots. Note also that I made various other changes to this OOB - mostly in-service dates, as well as creation of Befehlswagen IV...

I suggest you rename the OOB to some of the empty R&D slots and then you copy it into the game data file - that way you can copy the stuff from my oob into yours without replacing the whole thing.

Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: rar 523755-spob016.rar (30.8 KB, 117 views)
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Corporal

shan,

fair enough. I wasn't really thinking of it for myeself. Rather it would have been good to let other folks out there give us some feedback.

While looking into the kubelwagons I found a pic on the Axis history forum website. looks kinda weird. an armoured kubel wagon......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 523770-armoured kubel wagon.jpg (16.7 KB, 124 views)

Ian

Old May 25th, 2007, 10:26 PM

First Lieutenant

Good day eh

Sitrep, on my MC Experimental and the two units I cobbled together. The MC's are working fine as is the MC/Spahwagen Unit, the MC/Kubel Combo not so good, the Kubel's don't last or runaway, not an endearing asset for Recce Units.

As for the OOB, I will post it, (I'm not at home right now) it has many MODS so don't use for scenario/campaign. I do believe that I'm going take Shan's advice and create PanzerBob's Army (Next Campaign) so to speak; it will stop switching files all the time. DOH! Why didn't I think of that! LOL

Eternal War (gaming), PanzerBob

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:27 AM

First Lieutenant

Here you go Ian

I'm off to war, PanzerBob
Attached Files
File Type: rar 523928-4546spob016.rar (31.6 KB, 104 views)

Old May 27th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Corporal

Panzer Bob,

Thanks for posting your mod. I'd hope we could generate some interest in this in order to put the ideas to the designers but it doesn't look promising There hasn't exactly been much feedback from other users. I'm curretnly going through the scenarios to see how many involve German MC units as DRG suggested.

I'll try out your reece mod and let you know how i get on when I have the time.

If your reading this and have any thoughts folks regarding German MC or recce units then please but pen to paper!

regards

Ian

Old May 29th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Corporal

Has anyone tested my Kradschuetzen? I see one download so far... again, a few details may be adapted but, now that I got real good TO%E data, my Kradschuetzenkompanie is as historically correct as I could get to it - weapons, size of squads, effective combat strength etc...
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Corporal

Shan,

I've downloaded your mod but I'm afriad the real world may get in the way of me trying it out for at least a week but will report back when I've given it a go. Sure would be nice to get some feed back from other users to see how much interest there is in what you and Pzbob have been doing.

Regards

Ian