.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old May 4th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ban-a-thon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapmeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
How does any punishment work for anything? Internet or real world. Same comments, same answers.
Eh? I was asking a technical question: How does whatever-they-do actually prevent banned people from using the forum?

rdonj said they use an IP block, but if that means just blocking a single IP, thats never going to be effective in our DHCP world.

There's no analogy to this problem in the real world (that I can think of).
[opinionated rant on]
The answer is that it doesnt. Just like nothing ever stops anything. Locks dont stop crime, death sentence doesnt stop killings, copy protection doesnt stop piracy, tickets dont stop speeding.

Ive been involved in enforcement at various levels in both real and virtual worlds for a couple of decades and I hear it so often. My usual response is "Its not my job to stop anything. If it was then things would be done quite differently. Its my job to make it as difficult as possible for as many as possible for as long as possible hoping they get the hint". The deeper purpose is to usually to avoid open blatant in-your-face violations.

In the case of IP bans, no they dont stop reconnection. A person can probably make it back in, under a new name, and act in a way that no one figures out its him/her. But if they can pull that off then isnt the purpose served anyway?
[/end of rant]

The above statements are not meant to any way reflect the opinions of the management, the military, my employer, nor any other organization I have ever been associated with.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:24 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Chrisp - it is my opinion that verjigorm and PE's behavior was much more unacceptable in that thread than maerlande's ever was. Other people may have descended to the same level.
I truly wish that thread had not been deleted... Now it can be used to justify any opinion. With it gone, people can say that I said anything. Remember, that just because you wanted to feel a certain way about what I posted doesn't mean that I felt that way when I wrote it. Emotional context does not exist in text, and I always tell people not to mix their own feelings into things other people say online. Not that you care.

If you know I started it, why don't you repost quotes from the thread that you saved as evidence?

Bah... I shouldn't be typing or responding. You're just trying to suck me into another troll thread.
Maerlande was only able to save the last 2 pages of the thread, which don't really interest me. Also he has been too lazy to put them up yet, so I'm afraid I can't

Anyway I actually have no intention of turning this into another troll thread. I just wanted to post in response to what I felt were unfair and untrue claims about another poster. Anyway I don't really feel like there's anything else I need to respond to here right now. I've said my peace.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road

The interesting question is - if admins would do the same if they could return to the past, when they know that they provoked half of active players to provoke them. And then they decided that they should kick of those trouble makers, just to save face. Some of banned had really started trolling and provocations, but it was just a reaction on what admins did.
So, I think nobody is happy. Those banned have to spend affords building new forum, admins will have less messages and hits on a forum, which will not make their life happier, at least those who really care about doms 3 forum. I'm sure some admins work on different shrapnel game forums and just don't care about dom3 community and more concerned about rules that could fit all games forums. Gamers were acting too emotionally, but admins as well, even if they tell now that it was a result of just logical thinking. We all are people and always have emotions, that's crazy to deny it.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I think your numbers are abit skewed, and yes they probably would.
Its not like this hasnt happened before.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:38 PM

Major

Tim Brooks is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I truly wish that thread had not been deleted... Now it can be used to justify any opinion. With it gone, people can say that I said anything.
Hi Verjigorm:

What was the thread title? We never delete anything on purpose. The thread still exists. It was just moved to a private area.

Regards,
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:46 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Mr Brooks - it was the thread about communions. I can't remember the exact name. But started by maerlande.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapmeister View Post
That's why I'm convinced that Norfleet is still lurking around here somewhere ...
He wasn't even ever banned actually as far as I know.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

I don't think Maer, Frozen Lama and Trumanator were banned for repeated behavior. I think they were banned because they called moderators liars, told them to shove things in exit holes, compared them to Nazis etcetera. I am sure it earned them e-high-fives and they could care less.

Ultimately, they didn't like the forum rules/evil community/ evil mods or whatever and decided to go out with a text bang that would bring them some street cred or whatever e-thug merit badge they earned on the new forum.
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brooks View Post
Quote:

I truly wish that thread had not been deleted... Now it can be used to justify any opinion. With it gone, people can say that I said anything.
Hi Verjigorm:

What was the thread title? We never delete anything on purpose. The thread still exists. It was just moved to a private area.

Regards,
It was called communion something... It was a thread that looked like requests for strategy assistance.

Restoration of the thread, even if it was locked, would be appreciated as it would at least allow people to make their own judgments rather than relying on hearsay.

Last edited by Verjigorm; May 4th, 2010 at 10:55 PM..
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I think it was called Mastering Communions. Not 100% positive.

I occasionally post something useful.
Closed Thread