.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old December 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kings of Drama - Keeping up the proud tradition

Oops, I accidentally the whole pythian army, is this serious? Abysia at least seems to enjoy bashing pythian PD too, welcome aboard to the failboat!
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Sergeant

NooBliss is on a distinguished road

Oh, nevermind us. We just needed a passage to some tasty indies, and Pythium is dead anyway. Dead men don't need shoes, right?
Old December 6th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitti View Post
Oops, I accidentally the whole pythian army, is this serious? Abysia at least seems to enjoy bashing pythian PD too, welcome aboard to the failboat!
Gladiators are relatively easy to kill, but I had figured you wouldn't actually fight them instead preferring to use the standard anti-gladiator tactic which is to take them out with a tiny force set on retreat and back your army off of my capitol which is what you did. If I had instead used my resources to build a small number of durable soldiers, you probably would not have removed your army from my capitol.

Now that your army has left the capitol of Pythium, I get another attempt to demolish the fort which was the the purpose of the invasion, and if you had left your army in place to fight the gladiators, I would have most likely injured your force in some way which is also good, but, I think, probably significantly less expensive than the possibility of losing a free castle. Which means that opting to remove your army from the capitol may have, in fact, been the wrong choice depending on whether or not you can retake the capitol next turn and prevent me from destroying the castle. Since my entire force is set to attack you in your current province, there exists a probability that your force will not be able to reoccupy the capitol in which case, you lose the castle.

As for my strategy, it was an obvious failure, but it was my first attempt at using Pythium in MP. My building strategy, I think, should have employed Hydras to take out early indies since they're quite good at that and for some reason intimidating to early rushers (according to other people, whom I don't necessarily believe), and used gladiator groups to capture capitol neighbors on the first few turns to produce an income lead. The strategy I used was sh!t, I admit it. It was a very poor opening.

Last edited by Verjigorm; December 6th, 2010 at 02:47 PM..
Old December 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

Props to Man for denying the castles to his enemies. way to spite them!
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
I would have most likely injured your force in some way which is also good, but, I think, probably significantly less expensive than the possibility of losing a free castle.
Except that I would've had the need to ferry more troops from over 6 provinces away, which would cost me few more turns to deal with this whole mess. And I'm kind of time-constrained. Sure, I'll miss your great city if you manage to take it out.

Quote:
there exists a probability that your force will not be able to reoccupy the capitol in which case, you lose the castle.
Depends on the nation order. cba to check out which one of us gets the first move.

Quote:
should have employed Hydras to take out early indies
True. Your expansion was pitifully weak compared to most other nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooBliss
Dead men don't need shoes, right?
Exactly. Though it might be sandals in this case.
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

As far as I've seen everyone's expansion was pitifully weak in this game, doe I blame that on the map, it's hard to work around all those choke points, bridges, mountains...
Old December 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

No... My lackluster expansion was due to stupidity resulting from laziness... Blaming the map will not improve my future performance.
Old December 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitti View Post
Depends on the nation order. cba to check out which one of us gets the first move.
Pythium is nation #29, Mictlan is #33.

I had thought it was somehow randomized... I recall reading something in the manual (that I don't want to look up right now) that said that aggressive movements occur in a random order, but if what you say is true, and it is based on the nation ordinal, then I will successfully block your move back onto the capitol and the city will be burned to ashes before you arrive.

Also, I'm not Man, as someone stated above, but rather Pythium, and once it was clear that "winning" is not an achievable goal, then in accordance with the Honorable Player rules, I must, therefore, alter the goal to seek to injure my opponent(s) as much as possible before I fade into Oblivion. Assuming that all of my property becomes the property of various enemy factions, then the best option, therefore, is to damage or destroy my enemy's future property while it is under my control unless production within said property would yield a greater net loss to my opponent than it's ruin. In this case ruin trumped production due primarily to the projected speed of conquest, and demolishing production facilities became the most profitable option.
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
in accordance with the Honorable Player rules, I must, therefore, alter the goal to seek to injure my opponent(s)
Exactly. I commend thee on following this tenet, my dear sir. It's what I usually do.
Old December 6th, 2010, 10:56 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

You are not Man, but the player who is man just demolished *2* of his own castles in order to deny them from his enemies