.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 19th, 2004, 04:01 PM

Corporal

djtool is on a distinguished road
Default get that bull out of my grove!

I play CW more then the other themes. I can't remember his name at this time, but there is a hero that is a minotaur and has 3N 3Bl for magic skills.

well no thank you. Get your *** in the lab and don't let me see your face again.

I'd like to see this guy eliminated from the CW theme and replaced with a different hero.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road
Default Re: get that bull out of my grove!

Quote:
Originally posted by djtool:

well no thank you. Get your *** in the lab and don't let me see your face again.
yikes! here, take my bong
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I could see the problem there. Hmmm do themes get seperate heroes? I guess they do.

Can you suggest a CW hero?
(in my recommended preference)
Tartarian Monstrum?
Ancient Presence?
Treelord?
Ivy King?
All of those would seem fitting. They arent priestly, arent tied into any human presence or semi-human presence, and dont eat.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Sergeant

Vynd is on a distinguished road

Is this the only one of the regular Pangaean heros that CW gets? If not, what makes this guy any less thematic than the Ram's Horn guy or the Harpy Queen? Or is your complaint that blood mages are hard to use with CW?
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

CW gets both the Black Bull and the Harpy Queen, in addition to its own Ettin Mandragora hero.
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

CW uses the anti-priests with red candelabras. I think there is a problem when a white candelabra shows up. Im not sure. There may be some friendly-fire problems with banishment also.

And CW tends to depopulate provinces. The "people" population is replaced as the provinces are "returned to the primeval state". Only the more plant-based creatures are considered completely welcome. That means food problems. Of course a hero with nature magic can feed itself but maybe its not themeatic.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
CW uses the anti-priests with red candelabras. I think there is a problem when a white candelabra shows up. Im not sure. There may be some friendly-fire problems with banishment also.

And CW tends to depopulate provinces. The "people" population is replaced as the provinces are "returned to the primeval state". Only the more plant-based creatures are considered completely welcome. That means food problems. Of course a hero with nature magic can feed itself but maybe its not themeatic.
Eh - CW gets lots of white candelbra priests - dryads. Admittedly they're mostly only useful for building temples and doing some minor site searching, but they can also do stealth preaching. Still - it'd be nice if CW's dryads could lead at least _some_ carrion critters, say 10 or so.

And I haven't found the food / supplies to be a real issue with CW. Provinces that are down to less than 1000 population, still producing 75+ supplies. A handful only producing about 25, with 290 population.
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:08 PM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
While it's true his blood magic isn't much use for CW, it's not entirely impossible to use it, and at least you *CAN* stick his *** in a lab. That's more than can be said for other less than impressive national heroes of other nations, which not only lack any special attributes of note, but also cannot be parked in a lab, never to harass you again.
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
quote:
While it's true his blood magic isn't much use for CW, it's not entirely impossible to use it, and at least you *CAN* stick his *** in a lab. That's more than can be said for other less than impressive national heroes of other nations, which not only lack any special attributes of note, but also cannot be parked in a lab, never to harass you again.
Heh. Yeah, gotta love national heroes who aren't as good as the recruitable commanders, and don't even have a research skill.

About the Blood Bull with CW - yep, that little bit of blood can definately be used. Not so much for summonings or battlefield magic, but B3 is high enough to do some fairly nice blood forgings, and it's not that hard to get the 5-20 slaves you need for each item.
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Corporal

djtool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yikes! here, take my bong [/QB]
haha. no thanks but i got a good laugh out of that. Its not like i'm *really mad.

Yeah you can get some forging out of that guy, but that's sad that its the highlight of what he can offer you. I also think using him for his blood magic is clumsy at best. Not only are you completely wrecking your population every turn (its my personal belief that your dominion should be no less than 8), your only getting a smattering of summons. Not so hot for combat blood spells either since those research points are needed elsewhere.

suggestions for a replacement hero? I guess a carrion lord hero would be appropriate. Or a black dryad.

[ July 19, 2004, 22:16: Message edited by: djtool ]