.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Underwater Gameplay Improvement Mod (UWGIM) v0.8

Small bug report. The Oceania spell, Call to Arms, is suppose to summon selkie warriors (I think) and instead summons the Wanderer hero, but as a reg unit and not the hero unit.
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

Besides the bug reported above, my initial thoughts after playing a shortened SP game using this mod. I only played as UW nations so I can't yet comment on the ease of land nations to get into the water:

It does seem easier to get troops out of the water, or rather the commanders. Pretty big plus for Ry'leh, (Mindlords rock!) and Oceania. Not that big a deal for Atlantis.

I've not found any of the new magic sites I think. I'm not that familiar with UW sites as it is, so it's possible I've gotten them without really knowing they were new.

Love, love, LOVE the unit types. I'd tried your Oceania enhancement mod before, so I already liked the idea of Selkies and new merman units, and the Atlantian coastal units have nice flavor, nothing to write home about, but still solid troops. I do, however, really like what you did for Ry'leh. Your Dema warrior additions are very cool. Add to that the Doomsayer hero who can convert enemies AND freespawn troops and I think you've gotten me hooked on an UW nation. Kudos!

That's pretty much all I got for a first impression. I cut the game short because I was also running one of the better independents mods, gold version, and when the Doomsayer converted some of the indy troops with high gold costs, my upkeep shot up into the stratosphere! (I went from about 300g upkeep to over 4000 the next turn)

A question. Do you plan on incorporating your cross path combat spells mod to this? Or did you alrdy and my lack of UW knowledge is showing again? Also, what is the difference between the Selkie Mist spell and the regular old mist spell?

This is all for now. Thanks again for your hard work!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BandarLover For This Useful Post:
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandarLover View Post
That's pretty much all I got for a first impression. I cut the game short because I was also running one of the better independents mods, gold version, and when the Doomsayer converted some of the indy troops with high gold costs, my upkeep shot up into the stratosphere! (I went from about 300g upkeep to over 4000 the next turn)

A question. Do you plan on incorporating your cross path combat spells mod to this? Or did you alrdy and my lack of UW knowledge is showing again? Also, what is the difference between the Selkie Mist spell and the regular old mist spell?
Yeah, if you plan on playing with EA R'lyeh, I'd suggest you use a NI map. Makes life a lot easier.

Actually, I already have incorporated the UW spells from CPCS into the mod ("Befoul", "Oxidize", "Surge of Algae", "Chaotic Currents", "Deep Drowning", "Call Drowned", "Ink Strike").

Selkie Mist easier to cast than regular A3 mist (1/4th of Daughters of Selkie can cast it without boosters) and causes the "Rain" effect too.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:06 AM

Colonel

Default Re: Underwater Gameplay Improvement Mod (UWGIM) v0.81

Ok, I did a quick update in preparation of a worthcoming MP game.

Important changes from version 0.80 to 0.81:
- Manual of Water Breathing now reguires just N1 to forge.
- "Water Strike" spell boosted significantly.
- "Crushing Pressure" now just does pure damage. Highly lowered fatigue cost.
- "Call Drowned" summons more ghosts. Fear the fear auras!
- EA R'lyeh now starts with "Living Castle" with 30 admin.
- EA Atlantis now starts with admin 40 "Kelp Citadel". Although a bit unthematic, the guys need the extra resources.
- Bug with the Call to Arms spell fixed.
Old August 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road

question: (or maybe a report)

in a random test game i got a pathless daughter of selkie. it looked like it was a wave lord, and he turned into a daughter when i sent him on land. how? when i tried it again, it didn't happen. maybe i just forgot which unit i had, but then i could find a way to get a pathless daughter

Edit: I figured it out. when the turtle chief goes onto land, he become a daughter of selkie, then he stays as one even if he goes back underwater. i assume this isn't WAD?
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Lama View Post
question: (or maybe a report)

in a random test game i got a pathless daughter of selkie. it looked like it was a wave lord, and he turned into a daughter when i sent him on land. how? when i tried it again, it didn't happen. maybe i just forgot which unit i had, but then i could find a way to get a pathless daughter

Edit: I figured it out. when the turtle chief goes onto land, he become a daughter of selkie, then he stays as one even if he goes back underwater. i assume this isn't WAD?
Yeah, I can see the problem. Damned be the mystic workings of the "copystats" command! Easy to fix, I'll post improved version tomorrow.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:40 AM

Colonel

Default Re: Underwater Gameplay Improvement Mod (UWGIM) v0.82

Ok, v0.82 uploaded and the turtle bug fixed.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Too late now I guess, but IMO the only possible way to make the living pillars really viable would be to 1) give Atlantis a decent way to get an E bless, and/or 2) give living pillars an enc value thats actually sane.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:12 AM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

One more thing- Can you please please pretty PLEASE give the shamans one more astral level?! I'm just having fantasies of fighting off EA Oceanian KOTD with Deep Ones plus Fortunas Meddling...
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:38 AM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Too late now I guess, but IMO the only possible way to make the living pillars really viable would be to 1) give Atlantis a decent way to get an E bless, and/or 2) give living pillars an enc value thats actually sane.
Yeah, Living Pillars are problematic, but the LA Agarthan blind sacred dudes get some use with similar handicaps (high resource cost, high encumbereance), so I don't think that they're hopeless. Now EA atlantis has a higher admin fort and the Pillars costs fewer resources (+ a mr boost). If that doesn't work, perhaps further boost is necessary, but I'll just see how they are now.

They're not obciously going to be pure bless material at any point, but should work as an occasional support troop. (they're pretty good at taking lance hits from KotD's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
One more thing- Can you please please pretty PLEASE give the shamans one more astral level?! I'm just having fantasies of fighting off EA Oceanian KOTD with Deep Ones plus Fortunas Meddling...
Sorry, but I'll keep them the way they are. It was a desing decision to make all of the new coastal mages give 1 one mora path access (Oceania now gets consistent A2 on land, R'lyeh D2 and Atlantis gets access to nature with the shaman). You can hit S2 with that 10% random thought with coral tribe shaman.