Old February 4th, 2006, 12:04 AM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you tough enough to be the \"King of the Hi

Quote:
geoschmo said:
Quote:
Slynky said:
Can you explain why 2 fleets moving at the same speed have combat on different turns? I do that all the time and never have them fight separately.
Well, without looking at your end of the turn I couldn't say for sure. Have you done it through a warp point before. I was thinking about it earlier today because it came up in the other thread and I couldn't remember if I had ever seen it work correctly when my fleets are going through a warp point.
Well, I can't remember either but I know I attack like that through warp holes all the time because, well, it happens so often that one needs to attack through holes (smile). I divide the ships up with different strategys according to what they do and send them in.

According to the game, movement occurs...ALL movement and if ships occupy enemy sectors at the same time a combat round occurs, then they fight.

I guess I'll have to see what the movement replay looks like but I can promise you this: Last thing I did was check that each fleet moved at 9.

Still, you did damn well and I don't want to take that away from you...but all 60+ ships would have done better than fighting at piecemeal.
Old February 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM

General

Well, quick update for anyone reading:

Geo, who I never take for granted, has stopped a major insertion attempt of mine. Really, embarrasing!

I wondered at his strategy and now I see what he's done. Though I've taken quite a hit (like losing 60 ships and killing...what was it (?)... ONE?), I remain positive.

Still, I maintain 1st place (in points) and continue to grow in all areas. BUT, I've ordered stict training rules that must be adherred to from now on! I WOULD threaten commanders with severe punishment but, as we all know, if they fail, they will die anyway (LOL).
Old February 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Slynky said:
I wondered at his strategy and now I see what he's done. Though I've taken quite a hit (like losing 60 ships and killing...what was it (?)... ONE?), I remain positive.

Actually I think in the big battle you didn't kill any, although you may have gotten a few of my fighters.

I have lost a few though probing your defenses in various places.

Geoschmo
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

..this is one weird game. Without giving too much away, I'll show off the highlight:

I switched to a different atmosphere than I normally use. And now what do my colonizers find but a system with SIX planets..all of the OLD atmosphere type. It would have been a breathable bonanza, but right now its almost useless..

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:29 PM

General

Quote:
Phoenix-D said:
..this is one weird game. Without giving too much away, I'll show off the highlight:

I switched to a different atmosphere than I normally use. And now what do my colonizers find but a system with SIX planets..all of the OLD atmosphere type. It would have been a breathable bonanza, but right now its almost useless..
I think that's the Murphy's Law section that applies to SE4.
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rathar is on a distinguished road

Same thing on the other side Phoenix.. Remote mining is all I have to say!

Rathar
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:28 PM

This game is going to go on forever- we'll be too broke to kill each other off.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:45 PM

Well, we made contact, with a couple minor skirmishes so far. Skirmishes that would have gone better if I hadn't made the newbie mistake of sending a colonizer out *empty*.

-Digger
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:49 AM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Phoenix-D said:
Well, we made contact, with a couple minor skirmishes so far. Skirmishes that would have gone better if I hadn't made the newbie mistake of sending a colonizer out *empty*.
Hehe, I remember that mistake. It was such a "DOH!" moment on turn 2 or 3 of the Race to SEV Dertran game when I noticed all three of my first colonizers were empty. I still ended up winning the game, though.
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:13 AM

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

I have conceded to Slynky in our King Match on turn 101. Once again he gets the better of me, and once again I climb tooth and nail to the top of the hill only to be dashed to the bottom. I’m not sure, but I think this was my fifth King match, with none of my butt prints on the royal throne cushion to show for it.

This game I tried something a little different. Slynky was quite confused that I appeared to be conceding two-thirds of the map to him from the start. In our many games the normal thing that happens is we both expand at about equal rates and meet about halfway across the map, then he beats me backwards till the end of the game as he always has more ships in the initial border conflicts.

My plan this game was to keep my empire compact. I only expanded as far as my colony ships could go without refueling, and I researched the other colony techs very early on. He would have been surprised at the number of planets I had, despite the difference in the number of systems. The idea was that he would be strung out and I could punch through in the early going and get him on the defensive.

Unfortunately Slynky is even better then I thought as he was able to capture the middle third of the systems I conceded, and he was still able to gather enough defenses at the choke points to resist my initial attacks. Once the borders solidified the numbers started working against me as I knew they would eventually. I was able to hold him off for some time because of the number of colonies I had, but I was never able to effect a formidable enough attack to breakout.

I have played Slynky many, many times in 1v1 battles in Koth and non-Koth games, probably more than anyone else I’ve played. He’s gotten the better of me in almost every case. The only times I’ve won were when he was given a poor starting position on the map. Considering that neither of us likes to play random maps any longer, I feel confident in saying in all seriousnees and no false modesty that I will likely never beat him again.

That’s not to say that I won’t keep trying, I want to return to my place at the bottom of the hill and begin again. I am merely saying, I hope somebody beats him before I get back up there so I have a chance for once. Or at least someone new to beat me down.