Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old February 17th, 2006, 12:36 AM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you tough enough to be the \"King of the Hi

You're much too gracious.

And you sell yourself short, I think.

Let's recap a bit:

Yes, I was bewildered about how long it took to meet you. The longer it took the more careful I got. For my part, I thought you had taken Religious and were working for the Talisman (and keeping it secret as long as possible). Accordingly, I got cautious as I crossed into the 2nd 2/3's of the map.

When we finally met, I knew you had combat advantage but I figured I had "numbers" advantage. As we (and others know), I thought I could whip you with numbers but your training (and combat advantage) killed me!

I got careful...many, many turns later, I broke through but you showed up with a formidable fleet and I backed down from advancing. It was then I decided I wouldn't attack again till I was sure. That's where a long time passed as I built a fleet of over 100 while a fleet of 55 guarded the hole. Your ship desigh and combat advantage was tough to overcome. My only consolation was I had economics...and, really, I could wait till you could build no more. But, that's boring, and a bit chicken-s--t.

I was amazed at how you handled your economics with only 15-16 systems. That underlines your skill. I had 31 and at one point had 50 yards idle because I didn't plan well. THEN, I over-compensated...so many resources, I couldn't store them fast enough! Finished the game with about 1.3 million mins, .7 million orgs, and .6 million rads in storage.

The one thing I worried about most was you consolidating 2 fleets (gambling) and breaking through a point.

It was a good game, a long game, and played fast. Turns took an hour for the last 20 turns. UGH (LOL).
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:59 PM

General

over 100 turns in under 3 weeks. Some of those turns taking over an hour! That's pretty fast and dedicated playing in my book.
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Yes, it almost qualified as a part-time job towards the end there.
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:02 AM

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Well, that was..interesting.

I launched an abortive attack on Rathar in our KOTH game, after being driven from the System Of the Empty Colony. The idea was to sweep over one colony, blast it, and move to the next in the same turn.

Worked fine, except those two colonies just would..not..die. I even sent renforcements in and nothing would kill the blasted things! Then panic set in as a unexpected fleet of 8 emerged from the southern warp point as my attack force ran low on supplies.

There were only two surviors from the resulting butchery. One fled south, taking a colony with him during his death throes. The other fled north. Renforcements raced to the scene, but too late! Rathar's fresh attack force arrived. The CSM-1 armed Alaska managed to inflict some damage during the warp point assult, but no ships were lost.

The renforcements were diverted to the nearest colony to make a stand there while Alaska 001 stood firm, hoping to delay the attack on the system's planets.

What happened next..well, check the attachment. The Digger ships are, like the Alaska, first gen models armed with CSM-1s. The III is armed with PPBs and a Point Defense Cannon.

Someone get this man a medal. Someone get him ALL the medals!

(oops, he's dead. Next combat, same turn- he gravely wounds one of the survivors, but is blown to bits for his trouble )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 407210-wow.JPG (25.5 KB, 83 views)

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM

General

Wow, what a ship! Someone round up the bits and pieces of the captain and contact Willow about bringing him back to life ( ...you have to be a Buffy fan to understand)
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:21 AM

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

KOTH Rathar vs Phoenix-D is over in 51 turns. The enemy having a tech advantage can be overcome. The enemy having a numbers advantage can be overcome.

BOTH, on the other hand..doesn't work out so well.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

Rathar is on a distinguished road

Twas a fun game Phoenix-D. I am really being forced to think that randomness in planet generation is bad however.

I reallllly desire for sheer luck to have a factor in these games but not for said sheer luck to be decisive in any way.

Rathar
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:00 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

A much-delayed update has been made available for the good people of the realm. Yay for the first Debian-powered KOTH update!
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rathar is on a distinguished road

Alas we seem to have given you the wrong impression as to whom the victor was, which was I, Rathar and due to mere luck, not phoenix-d.

Rathar
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:37 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Rathar said:
Alas we seem to have given you the wrong impression as to whom the victor was, which was I, Rathar and due to mere luck, not phoenix-d.
That would be correct. However, since I can never be wrong, I won't correct that mistake.

Please, could you start rioting? I so want to see a revolt up close. I'll correct the KOTH page right now.