The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 10th, 2003, 10:20 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBW ethics, opinions please.

The EB thing seems to to bothersome, trading planets.. I mean, my population wouldn't think fondly of me if I gave them away every now and then! And to keep track of which planet to trade and when. That exploit I consider a bug"

It has been reported, right? I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, and such a thing can't be fixed if not reported..

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old January 10th, 2003, 10:49 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by rextorres:
quote:
Originally posted by Ruatha:
[QB]I didn't know "turtling" was anything common.
[QB]
Hmm . . . Why is turtling "gamey" - that's the whole point of having warp closers and system shields otherwise spending all those resources in research and building would be pointless.

I think that tactics that are used that aren't taking advantage of bugs are perfectly valid unless there is a rule in the specific game against them.

I've been backstabbed, been turtled against, and had people gang up against me by trading techs, etc. and I may have been pissed off about it, but I never thought it was cheating. It sounds like sour grapes to me when players want rules patched out because they get beat using their pet playing style when playing against humans.

BTW: What's this mysterious EB bug?

Turtling is probably just annoying, once every 2 days you log on to PBW, download a game file, fire up SE4, enter your password and ... anything today? ...No?...oh well, fill the carriers with some more fighters and hit F12...someday...someday

A little defenciveness is no problem. You can use the warp point closers to make choke points, you can use openers to bypass natural or synthetic choke points.

I can relate to suddenly finding a favorite tactic of yours is an exploit -- I liked opening warp points in the same or next system. I was sort of building a hyperspace bypass system for my 8 movement baseships. Can't do that anymore.

EB bug, don't know why everyone is being secretive. It was posted here. See the Encyclopedia Malfadorica *Click* for a little hint.
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

CNCRaymond is on a distinguished road

Let me put it this way about using exploits.

A former friend used to love to win, he would do anything to win. When he started to loose, he started to cheating. He liked this, as loosing made him feel bad. Once I discovered he was using a cheat, I started. This sparked a massive debate about ethics. It was ethical for him to cheat because he liked to win, but not ethical for me because I could win without cheating. I never understood his arguement, and stopped playing games with him. Eventually, our friendship ended because of his "Win at all cost" attitude.

So Gravey, if you think it is ok to use an exploit when no one else knows about it, then yes that is cheating. However since you never did this, you have nothing to worry about.

I would like to point out that as long as a cheater can get away with it, they will. People who cheat or violate the game rules don't like the heat that comes with getting cought. They often scamper away, and start a counter argument about why reporting cheaters is bad.

[ January 10, 2003, 21:04: Message edited by: CNCRaymond ]
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:07 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

"I can relate to suddenly finding a favorite tactic of yours is an exploit -- I liked opening warp points in the same or next system. I was sort of building a hyperspace bypass system for my 8 movement baseships. Can't do that anymore."

This isn't an exploit. Well, to the same system I would say it, but not to the next system over. And certainly not to building a more efficent warp network!

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:15 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
"I can relate to suddenly finding a favorite tactic of yours is an exploit -- I liked opening warp points in the same or next system. I was sort of building a hyperspace bypass system for my 8 movement baseships. Can't do that anymore."

This isn't an exploit. Well, to the same system I would say it, but not to the next system over. And certainly not to building a more efficent warp network!

Phoenix-D
Yeah, well, MM made it so you can't do it anymore, so I guess it is an exploit, innit?
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:19 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Wardad is on a distinguished road

Banning tech trades and population trades is not as easy as it sounds. The menu check box "No Tech Trades" does not prevent trading ships or planets. There should also be a N0 TRADES box.

Having weaker neighbors to early on (capturing pop and colonizers) can unbalance the game.

Limited warfare can be used to capture population and ships. But.. If there is little risk due to prior agreements, then it is wrong for a no (tech) trade game.

[ January 10, 2003, 21:27: Message edited by: Wardad ]
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:32 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Arkcon:
Yeah, well, MM made it so you can't do it anymore, so I guess it is an exploit, innit?
Really? How would they do that?
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:37 PM

Corporal

gravey101 is on a distinguished road

>So Gravey, if you think it is ok to use an >exploit when no one else knows about it, then >yes that is cheating.

I have heard this argument time and time again. Who are you to decree what is an exploit and what isn't? The only person who can decide is the game host for the game your are playing. He decides the rules of the game, including whether any of the currently known bugs are ok or not. If you break those rules it is cheating. If you dont then it isn't. Simple as that. If you dont like his decision as to what is ok and what isn't you play something else or start your own game or whatever. What you don't do is lable evryone else who doesn't conform to your view as a cheater.
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:38 PM

Corporal

gravey101 is on a distinguished road

and please dont bother with the mythical exploit that only 1 person knows about. The bugs in SEIV very quickly become public knowledge.
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok guys... that game is over. There is no need to continue arguing about it here on Shrapnel.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.