.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Coe

It has 2 active IRC channels.

Scenario maps and campaigns have a lot of activity.
Not much "modding" yet since modding commands havent been released yet. But you can check out www.CoE-3.com forum for some community. And of course the Desura offical forum
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

I've watched the videos and feel the battles are definitely a step down or two steps down from what's provided within Dominions3. The battles should have been "at least" the same as what's offered from Dominions3, but realistically an improvement. The battles in CoE_3 have the units all stationary then faded when dead. Something of less quality just doesn't appeal to myself and relatives.

There's many good features in the game, but battles are too important to settle for something less.

Last edited by NTJedi; March 23rd, 2012 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: details
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I dont think that would have met the goal of a less micro, faster playing Dom3.
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:02 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I dont think that would have met the goal of a less micro, faster playing Dom3.
An improved combat system with better quality does not mean more micromanagment and slower gameplay... there's plenty of examples in the gaming industry. Even something matching Age of Empires2 or Lord of the Realms2 type battles with a smaller screen would work.
Better game quality doesn't always mean more micromanagement and slower gameplay.
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road

Yes. Absolutely no control in battles (apart from choosing A LIST of what your mages can cast) is a terrible thing. At the very least I wish I could give my mages some sense.
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Corporal

Zywack is on a distinguished road

I actually bought both CoE3 and Dominions 3 on the exact same day. I can definitively see the interest in a faster-paced game, but I have to admit that I prefer Dominions 3 by a lot.

The main problem I have with CoE3 is the sheer amount of game-breaking luck involved in absolutely everything. In my limited play experience, it's not uncommon to be gameover by turn 5 because a stack of 6 monsters invaded your capital. Or that you fail to control your very first summon which kills your main character and army early on. Or that the game just refuse to let you buy new heroes for a long time.

It works both ways, too. In my first won game, my witch learned Mass Polymorph and Mass Charm when upgraded. The result was that 1 cast of Mass Polymorph destroys pretty much 50% of the enemy army. Cast it twice? You've just destroyed the enemy 100-strong army with nearly no casualties. Mass Charm was more along the line of 25% each cast. What this meant is that no matter what army my enemies brought, they would lose and my army would get bigger. Since there's no supply issues or long distance attack spells for the vast majority of characters or reliable assassin units, there's nothing they could do to stop it.

Everytime you summon something, it's all random. You might get a pack of useful gelatinous cubes, or you can get a useless cat familiar. Get a few useful summons in a row early game and you are well on your way to win. Get a few useless in a row early on (or worse, fail controling good summons) and you are knocked out of the game.

If the game gave you better starting ressources (Actual noteworthy income or bigger starting army or some starting money/magic) then you could at least stand a chance to get back in the game if luck's against you.
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The game actually provides base numbers, which no one will totally agree with so its probably a forever discussion on where they should be set it.

But CoE3 also provides (unlike Dom3) working Scenario commands. So downloadable maps can have full storyline scenarios and campaigns. There are maps which create more resources, or less resources. Some which provide more magic items scattered across the map. And some which can give the player extra gold/iron/whatever at the start of the game. Or extra units if you feel its needed (like giving the Senator some War Elephants)

You can also create campaigns, quests with rewards, DnD situations, and mid-game worldwide events.

AND with the next patch we should start seeing modded nations. Time to browse thru the Dom3 mods for crossover ideas.
http://www.llamaserver.net/globu/Dom...neralMods.html
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

After playing the demo is glad i didnt purchase the game. It feels very bleak and shallow and far, far too luck-based to me. Im glad i didnt waste 25 € on it, because im pretty sure i would have regret spending them at this point. User Interface is one hell of a ride. Dom 3 is already "difficult" in the beginning, but CoE 3 ? I took me 5 minutes to figure out how to transfer units from one commander to the other.
sorry
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:47 PM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

Really? It took me like five seconds. And thats mostly because my mouse froze up.
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

legowarrior is on a distinguished road

And it took me less time to realize that the crowd that plays CoE3 isn't as friendly as the crowd that plays Dominions 3.