.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 19th, 2007, 04:27 AM

Sergeant

Noble713 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ogre Kingdoms - Warhammer Nation

Does dominion spread just like with Mictlan (i.e. blood sacrifice ONLY) or do prophets and temples work? My dominion grew a bit faster than I had expected, with only sacrifices in my capital.

I'm still trying to figure out how to play this nation, and really the game in general. At first I took the titan for an early SC rush, but then I wasted him researching...only to realise that researching isn't very important for Ogres. Likewise, I piled a bunch of blood magic on him...not too useful there either. I think I'll take another powerful Pretender and maybe try a bless strategy too. I don't want to take a stationary Pretender (seems contrary to the whole "nomadic" thing) and I don't want to take one of the human-sized ones either (too weedy for a nation of Ogres).

L+ GdY $? Fr! C- SdS T!+ Sf+ Tcp A% M++ MpM R!- Pw+ Fq-- Nd-- RP+ G++
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:49 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't try a bless strategy, because you don't have any sacred units, just two sacred commanders.

Dominion spreads with temples, prophet and god as normal with the nation. They can sacrifice too, but they can't preach (Butchers are priests in a sense, but certainly not preachers). So they're like Marverni or Lanka, only without preaching.

I took an awake rainbow mage in my most recent game with the Ogres and she did a little researching, just to get some construction, but she was basically there to forge some stuff later and most importantly, go find some indy mage sites. As soon as you have them, you can get the research going and if you have magic scale use Butchers to help out. But you're right, Ogres aren't research friendly at all. What they are great at is stomping stuff - if you can get some maneaters, tyrants, ironguts and a mass of bulls together with 3 or 4 slaughtermasters dropping Bullgorger, Toothcracker and Trollguts on them, you can trash almost anything (though high def sacreds may mess you up). I had several tyrants who were thugs with only a little bit of equipment extra - don't use them on their own, just mix them with the troops and tell them to attack closest - they keep morale up and still do some nasty damage when the bulls can't hit things.
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:25 AM

Sergeant

Noble713 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sombre said:
I wouldn't try a bless strategy, because you don't have any sacred units, just two sacred commanders.
Forgot about that part....like I said, still learning the game.

Good advice though, thanks.

L+ GdY $? Fr! C- SdS T!+ Sf+ Tcp A% M++ MpM R!- Pw+ Fq-- Nd-- RP+ G++
Old September 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM

Corporal

Theonlystd is on a distinguished road

Been playing as these guys.. And well im doing pretty well i've lost some battles since they are always starving and have a hard time hitting some stuff but overall they seem pretty balanced combat wise.

But really the nation donno seems to have nothing to do really.. I build a few ogres tell them to attack closest and move the army and my turn is pretty much done..

You think about maybe giving them access to just a bit of earth.. Just for bit of magic diversity for some thugging out of there thugs cause as it is currently you cant get them much equipment . Give there playing a bit of variety and more of a chance in Mp..

Donno if that jives at all with the Warhammer world.. But just a suggestion ..

Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:08 AM

BANNED USER

What to do?

Outside of combat; summon Gorgers, Yhetees and Sabretusks, desperately try to find some indy mages, use your pretender's magic to forge things, try to get your research going.

In combat; use your gut magic, gnoblar screeners, flanking, thug scripting, mixing in standards, maximising deathbelchers etc - usual combat stuff.

In the early game you'll do a lot of fairly straightforward province stomping. The trick being to use gut magic to make sure your ogres stay alive and hopefully affliction free, to rack up the exp. I don't think it's any more boring than other nations in this respect. You really shouldn't be starving your troops though. Sounds like you need to send hunters with them. In the next version the sabretusks and trappers will give a better supply boost to make them more important.

They're still in beta so they'll get a bit more complex, with scrap launchers, a bit more gut magic maybe and some more summons. But basically they are a straightforward race where the complications come from keeping supply up, combat strat and the very real danger of being obliterated in the middle / late game. You really have to have a very strong early / mid game with them, or you are toast, which leads to a bit of tension and a need to win every battle, imo.

So yeah, I fully admit that Ogres are about smashing face and that's about it. They have various ways to do it, but they will never change this basic plan - it just isn't in their nature.

Earth magic isn't totally out of the question, but it would be very minor - 25% chance of 1E on the slaughtermasters perhaps, representing their connection with the mountains / maw. This would allow for the forging of the earth/blood stones. Higher earth magic just wouldn't fit with the Ogres.

They'll get a sacred in future versions, but it isn't going to be one that makes you want to go dual bless or anything.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:10 AM

Corporal

Theonlystd is on a distinguished road

O yea i summon stuff i like Yhetees but hard to get a decent gem income going.. Getting Research going has been really hard haha tho that was mostly my fault .

I pretty much ignore gnoblars after the first battle when they arent at full strength anymore they route to often. If i need some arrow fodder at the start i just put a few of the cheap ogre in the front ..

And i wouldnt say they are boring just didnt seem like they had alot to due compared to other nations.. Eh i didnt even notice the higher than expected supply bonus from the hunters i just assumed it was the standard 10 . They will be accompanying the army's more often now and hopefully free up some gems from the wine bags. And boost to supply bonus for those 2 would help ..

Ah well the ogres are qutie good at smashing in faces .. And if you have more stuff in the works my comments might of been a bit early ..

And that was the kind of magic bonus i was talking about nothing major or even for all mages..
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

First things first: Solid job as per usual, Sombre. You Warhammer mods are easily some of my favorite nations to play, love the Skaven, the Empire looks like it could be interesting and really like the Ogres...cept for the error I keep getting for it.

I've read thru the post and not seen anyone else having the same problem: Whenever I try to view a battle, a get an error that crashes the game, './skybox1.tga was empty' error message. This was the only mod running at the time, AND I re-downloaded the mod but get the same message.

It's still playable of course, I only see it when I try to watch a battle report...but man do I want to SEE my ogres in action!!

Keep up the good work Sombre. I patiently await work on a Greenskin mod?
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:07 PM

BANNED USER

Okin's doing greenskins I believe.

I didn't change skybox tga at all and I don't think that can really be caused by the ogres. Sounds like dom3 is corrupted, perhaps? Try running scandisk on it or reinstalling or something.
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

Just a comment : I found a funny strategy with them :
you put gnoblars trappers (those with supply..)with a hunter, and you end up with a stealthy supply troop, maybe a bit high on upkeep, but keeping your ogres healthy seems to be THE problem.
Sombre, if you don't stop modding, I'll send you some (french of course) player syndicalists, 'cause of the horrid testing rythm you force me to adopt.
Allas,greenskin doesn't seem to be ready yet, I should whip Okin harder. ( he made me dream of a never ending Whaag..)

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM

BANNED USER

Yep, the Hunters and Trappers can sneak around providing supplies. In the next version Sabretusks and Trappers will provide more supplies, to make up for the fact they eat them as well.