.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old May 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Enhanced Gameplay Mod [project]

O I can imagine the insanity, and I agree that on balance it and similar sites warp the gameplay. I'm just expressing my love for it at this particular juncture.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor View Post
I want a mod for a people that are bored with many late-game aspects, nations blending into the same mix of summons and only same things used.

Then can I ask for more national summons, rather than adding more generic summons for various paths of magic.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

If it was so easy... I'd really like to see some more national summons, but making them is another story. If there was someone willing to do graphics, I could work on smth [with Burnsaber and Zlefin maybe ].

LA Agartha guide
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor
- tartarians: the really bad thing about them is how insane paths you can get from them, like lvl7 without boosters! and they make late game really boring, all that wishign for chalice, casting GoH, GoRing, then trapezeing A2E3 tarts or using them as heavy spellcasters. You no longer have your nation. You have tartarians backed by your mages [usually just making gear for them or assisting as minor casters in battles].

- fetishes: they are micro, way more micro than clams, they are the definition of what should never exist in MP game, they are cool in limited quantities, not when you have tens of them

- llama's thug mod: sure, I will take a look

- joining mods: I wanted to use llama's tool from the beginning, that's why it is called a mod pack

- changed balanced because of some stuff removed - some things could be controversial, maybe QM will get convinced to create more radical version of CBM with real balance things, that didn't get through, if not, I may do smth like that for next version, boosting some weaker nations and nerfing clearly overpowered [so mainly ones with recruitable SCs]

I want a mod for a people that are bored with many late-game aspects, nations blending into the same mix of summons and only same things used. There are way too many games ending in draws or with people disappearing because they no longer want to handle all that late game mess.
I agree to most points, but I think removing them would unbalance the game even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber
Nah. You just run into the first sign of "brokeness", the "warping". the term originates from MtG, very powerful effects warp the game, creating this sort of hypothetical vortex that sucks all other stragedies into them. The gem generators have been rampant for too long, now people just can't imagine anything else to do. Seriously, there is a lot do with machaka other than fetishes, I'm just getting trounced by meglobob's machaka in Cripple_Fight and I'm playing Vanheim! I have freaking skinshifters, blade winds and thunderstrikes!
I'm not that experience but it doesn't look like the strongest nations (Hinnom, Niefel, Caelum, Formoria for EA, Pangea for MA, Ermor for LA) can use them. Sauro and Pythium can iirc, but they are very strong overall afaik. LA R'lyeh can too but they had a big nerf.

So if gem generators are so strong that you will want to use them, and only weaker nations can forge them en masse, you are now removing the strongest strategy those nations have...

If I'm wrong and everyone just forges them with indie mages then why not just change the boosters/indies so that they cannot forge them?
Then you'd either take a nation who can or pay for a god who can.

Micro could be cut down a lot if instead of forging them you would summon them as creatures. Just CTRL-M once.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

My thug mod does not yet exist. Actually it's about 90% done, but I'm completely paralyzed by my thesis. In a month or two it will be out.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:47 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

I'll just shamelessly advertise:

Unsanity, an MP game I've just posted, is using a bunch of the mods under discussion here. If Zeldor's mod idea interests you, the game might be worth a look.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:08 AM

General

Illuminated One:

Clam hoarding should never be a strategy. There are games that go really insane with that. When you find const discount site you can even empower mages to make clams. I know a situation when one player had almost 200 clams and was wishing for gems to make even more clams per turn. And you have turtling, turtling and hidden gem income, requirings lots of micro. You could use W and N gems for some normal stuff now. And don't be afraid of some Armageddon spam or Seraph hordes.

LA Agartha guide
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:12 AM

General

const12 items that could be used are:

Crown of Katafagus
Crown of Ptah
Greenstone Armor
Hammer of the Cyclops
Precious
Robe of Sorceress
Shortsword
Sun Armor
Sun Helmet
Sun Shield
Sun Sword
The Admiral's Sword
Vial of Frozen Tears

Descriptions here:
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Categ...ble_magic_item

LA Agartha guide
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor
Clam hoarding should never be a strategy. There are games that go really insane with that. When you find const discount site you can even empower mages to make clams. I know a situation when one player had almost 200 clams and was wishing for gems to make even more clams per turn. And you have turtling, turtling and hidden gem income, requirings lots of micro. You could use W and N gems for some normal stuff now. And don't be afraid of some Armageddon spam or Seraph hordes.
Why shouldn't it be a strategy?
Strengthening your economy is certainly a strategy, working towards a powerful global (Arcane Nexus, Darkness, etc.) also. In my opinion dom3 puts to little emphasis on these matters.
Let's leave the sites out (and conquering everyone with +50% conjuration or blood bonus is certainly more unfair than clamming with 20% construction bonus) - 40 gems for two pearls is a fair price. How much gems do you spend to take a province with more than two gems income?
If the secret income or surprise effect is an issue, than that is a fault of the players imo. I always try to have the best knowledge of what everyone else can do and if I think someone is clamming or heading for utterdark I won't just ignore it. If I never see a water gem on the field from a nation with supposedly good water income, or notice that D9 bless, or that the Sceptre of Dark Regency is gone I have the chance to prepare. A much bigger chance than fending of that turn 5 niefel rush btw.
(I've never been on the receiving side of this, so I might underestimate their power, but just declaring them as unfair/invalid strategies goes much to far.)

Sorry, for the rant. I guess if I don't like the mod I don't have the use it, but I'd sure like something that reduces micro and don't want the game to be just decided when someone picks Hinnom.
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM

Sergeant

hEad is on a distinguished road

Some nations could really use national summons(Marverni and Man for instance) to give the player something to do besides sweating through most of the game. Seeing as this would be a large undertaking, would it be possible to give these deficient nations a cheap national Gift of Reason spell, available early on, so at least they can bulk up with summoned thugs.

Marverni gets the right gems and mages to be a cracking forge nation, yet they really have nothing to forge for - armies of reasoned Trolls and the like would at least give them a competitive leg up and would be damn fun to boot!