The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 19th, 2001, 11:54 AM

Sergeant

javaslinger is on a distinguished road
Default Is real time play vs humans feasible?

I had great fun playing small games of Stars vs many humans in real time over the net.

Basically there is an IRC room where players hang out and meet up to play games that Last 4 - 10 hours. Obviously most of the players have no jobs so they can waste that kind of time.

My questions are: Is it even possible to play a game of SE in that time frame with multiple human players? obviously with smaller settings of galaxy size etc set.

And do you think we as a community could set up such an IRC channel for this? Would it be used? Is the commmunity big enough where if it caught on, there may one day be 10+ people hanging around in there in peak times to get a game going.

I have asked many such similar questions in the past with little response. Is there really very little demand for this? I think that is the best way to get SE to truly thrive.

Thanks,

Ken
Old March 19th, 2001, 04:02 PM

Corporal

Triumvir Emphy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is real time play vs humans feasible?

I don't think real time is feasible, (especially as there is a large older crowd that actually works for a living), anyone who has played MOO2 in real time knows how waiting for turns can suck. It is kinda like chess and speed chess, not everybody likes both, it may be nice to have, but i think the PBEM is very nice. It lets me play a few minutes several times a day, i play several pbem's to keep me interested.

If you can't find someone's game to join, start on of your own and post it in this forum, i am sure there are a ton of people reading this forum everyday.