The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 24th, 2001, 10:12 PM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New New Newest patch info ;).

quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Again Aaron is only one guy and he is doing the best he can.

Actually I am considering not posting these anymore as to be honest all I here are complaints when I do.

Richard please don't take this to serious. There are some very impatient and demanding people, but I think most of us understand perfectely how much work this is and congratulate Aaron for the excellent work he did so far. At least I am.

Old March 24th, 2001, 10:15 PM

First Lieutenant

Possum is on a distinguished road

Richard,

I hear you. Some of these guys seem to do nothing but ***** and moan.

Thanks to you and Aaron for the continuing effort to improve the game. The vast majority of us really do sincerely appreciate it.
Old March 25th, 2001, 12:07 AM

Captain

Deathstalker is on a distinguished road

Yes, some people do nothing but ***** and moan, but the rest of us DO 'complain' for a reason. I may just be speaking for myself but this is an INCREDIBLE game, but it is also a game with INCREDIBLE potential. The complexity of it is amazing, and the problems are with that complexity and the fact that the AI cannot handle it like a human, but then no AI will ever handle it like a human (or think of 'cheese' tactics like a human, mining enemy starting planets early on, UGH. ). I complain because I care, I want to see this game reach its potential, not be remembered like Moo2 as 'great but I wish the game had done _____.). This game will probally be remembered in the future as games like the first few Ultimas, or the Gold box SSI roleplaying series, or Civ I. I look back and wish todays games could be more like those, in later years I'll look back and wish they could be like SE4. I appreciate the time and effort put into this game, the forum, and the upkeep (patching) of the game. In a society that just seems to release games and then forget about them or the people that bought them its nice to see a company that cares. And players that want the best. We want to help to improve the game, (thats where the Modders shine . ) So please don't take all the comments as *****ing, most of us just want to see the game shine even brighter. Moo3 and Stars! Supernova Genesis are coming, lets make people wish they could be more like SE4.
Sorry about the length and ranting of this post but I had to shove my 2cents into the mix.
Steve.

------------------
"The Empress took your name away," said Chance.
Owen smiled coldly. "It wasn't hers to take. I'm a Deathstalker until I die. And we never forget a slight or an enemy." -Owen Deathstalker.

Human existance is all imagination...Reality is no more than a simple agreement among its participants that this is where we shall meet, and these are the rules that we shall abide by.- Kevin McCarthy/David Silva The Family:Special Effects..

Long Live the Legion!!-Comic book fandom...
Old March 25th, 2001, 12:42 AM

Captain

raynor is on a distinguished road

Richard is an awesome guy doing us a HUGE favor by giving us these updates ahead of time. This shows the commitment of a company like Shrapnelgames to the games it publishes. We are thankful for every problem solved. And, new features? Thanks Aaron! Richrd, would you please thank Aaron for us?

Thanks again for the update, Richard!

Old March 25th, 2001, 02:55 AM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Actually that had more to do with my long weekend, my day time job decided to page me all day .

Anyway I do understand that the game has problems that need to be resolved, I just think some guys do take advantage (ie getting upset that their fix is not included) of the excellent support Aaron offers as a small shop. If he were a big company (like say certain recent Star Trek based games ) he would just ignore eveyone completely.

In any case Aaron is fairly responsive and if you drop him a note with a fair suggestion it will get implemented eventually.

------------------
Sarge is coming...

Richard Arnesen
Director of Covert Ops
Shrapnel Games
http://www.shrapnelgames.com
Old March 25th, 2001, 03:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

God Emperor is on a distinguished road

Richard,
I second Deathstalkers comments. The moaning and *****ing comes about I guess because everyone has a set of their own personnel bugs or wish lists that they would like addressed in the next patch.

I suggest people in this camp (probably most of us) should just email Malfador, and leave these Posts to discussions about whether certain bugs truly exist or to gauge support for suggested changes/mods.

Just a thought!

Please continue with the patch updates....
Old March 25th, 2001, 03:01 AM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

Yeah, if you have a reasonable suggestion or a bug report, email him. Often times he will respond to you in person, no auto respond email crap.
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old March 25th, 2001, 04:27 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

quote:

Originally posted by Emperor Zodd:
Two things I would like to see fixed are:
1. Fighters and Sats are launched from a planet in only one group.
2. AI needs to launch fighters into space and use them through out a system like we do.
(3.)And why does the AI keep sending missle ships to a system to get slaughtered by my fighters, when the AI ships can't even use missles against fighters???

.. my humble suggestions:
1) shouldn't be too difficult to place the sats in a "ring" just outside the "planetary radius", in equal distances .. something like this (assuming there are only 4 sats):
..by the way, placement around a warp point should work similar ?!

2) Fighter Fleets ?? But shurely the AI would try to move them trough WarpPoints ?!

3) Matter of tweaking the AI files ... the ships should have point defense !!

just my 0,02 EUR of thoughts, though ..
A.

[This message has been edited by Arralen (edited 25 March 2001).]
Old March 25th, 2001, 04:57 PM

Corporal

Triumvir Emphy is on a distinguished road

Would it be maybe reasonable for Shrapnel or on of the "advanced" players to filter MM's email so he isn't burried with "crap".

A lot of his emails are valuable feed back, but i am sure those are burried in requests to explain problems discussed in the forum or considered common knowledge to the regulars in this forum.

If we compare SEIV to most games released it came with less bugs than usual, and even the quake family hasn't seen this many fixes and updates in such a short time. The game is less than 5 months old and already is on 1.31.

Cut the guy some slack and go play a game.
Old March 25th, 2001, 05:03 PM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

Thats a good idea Triumvir, that would help I bet.
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.