Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old June 20th, 2004, 11:56 PM

Corporal

psimancer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

well 2 points

1 for ai scripting and the ability to learn well might want to check the the people who made aa game called black and white
the game has an avatar that each player has to train to perform as desired

2 as for formations all i was saying was
allow them to affect space station placement
and return to allowing spacestations to be in fleets
reasoning
a. 1 allows me to place a station in a specific orbit
b. allows for specialty stations to be protected by companion stations
c. the formation may be placed halfway across the map from the planet it orbits BUT it still is a formation maybe it cant protect the planet yet at least it can operate as intended
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:33 PM

Sergeant

Spectarofdeath is on a distinguished road

Here's some of my thoughts...
1. Money Money Money
2. The ability to make certain races more friendly to certain other races.
3.Special facility's that give a bonus, but only one can be built through the game.
4.The wormhole thing....I think the few warp points, ability to build jump gates, are good ideas, but something else that could be done is different warp points, need different types of scanners to be detected. This will allow for the element of surprise when a fleet pops out of a wp that you didn't know was there.
5.If wp's do abound, weapons that can be fired into the wp to help soften up defenses on the other side would be very helpful. Maybe have probes that can be fired through that just detect whats in the vicinity of the wp so you know if it's defended or not.
6.Systems that "pop up" in the middle of the game, adding a sense of "star systems forming". In essence they would be there, but nobody can see them or get to them untill a certain time/date into the game.
7.A scenario editor.
8.A good Vs evil setting (your race glasses a planet, pushing you into an evil alignment. You find a planet with natives, and you relocate them rather then inslave or destroy them giving you a good alignment) and each alignment gives you different bonuses or technologies.
9.Trade goods. You research the tech, you then build the "galactic wonder" which in turn produces the trade good for you, you then can trade it, giving the race your trading it to the bonus you get, until the trade route is broken. Or let the trade good be like a resource, you can trade 5000 Titanium-a battle plate for $4000 and when they run out of the good they lose the bonus.
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:04 PM

Captain

Kana is on a distinguished road

Ground Combat

I don't know if GC is going to be expanded. If so. Some form of grouping might be considered. 'Fleets' for GC units, IE: Regiments, Divisions, Battalions, Etc... If this happens then these units, can be named and, might be able to accumulate some form of experience if the survive battles.

A possible thought might be a form of Planetary 4x game similar to SE. Keep this in mind MM/Aaron.

-------------------------------------------------
New Weapon Type: Temporary Movement Loss

IE: Some kind of energy web/field that prevents a ship from moving while it is caught in the effect of the web or field.

New Weapon Type: Space Barrier

IE: Energy Field that prevents movement/fire of weapons/and objects, like ships, fighers, and seekers. Will only Last for a certain amount of time. Can't move, and only so big, so objects can move around it.
-------------------------------------------------
I'm sure I brought this up already...but...

Abit more flexible supply logistics.

Namely. We have resupply depots, and supply bays. But there should be a way to create forward supply bases without having a colony, like a base, and or some form of tanker that can resupply ships in a fleet situation.

Supply should be a resource or some form of unit that can be used up and replenished.

Kana

[ June 22, 2004, 02:11: Message edited by: Kana ]
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:52 PM

Private

Traskelion is on a distinguished road

Okay, first the disclaimer, if this has been stated recently, sorry, and also sorry if this have been fixed in SEIV Gold, as I only have SEIV.

I once tried to see if the cultures were equal. I set racial points to 0 to make it easy, manually changed the stats to match the changes in stat each culture would make. Then I made the sub-final score from positive into negative, or vice versa, because a more positive score (which I would turn into a negative score), meant that the game considered yourself weaker now.

A lot of the scores were 150 to 300. All in all, not horrible, which a few exceptions. The second lowest score, interestingly enough, was Politicians with a final score of -20. (Coincedence?) But the worst by far was my favorite one to choose! Engineers with -450!

And before I hear the "Mod it!" reply, I did already. I just thought someone should change the default settings to be somewhat equal.

Note: I think the main thing that did this is that Space Combat adds its value to Agressiveness AND Defensivess, and that Production increases the stats of all 3 resources. (I'm am positive of this, I spent hours on this whole project just to see if it was equal (Goodness, I can be a nerd sometimes).

P.S.: I don't like the money idea. For those inter-planetary games, it's fine, as money is only compared in each country (or in galactic games, maybe planets or even empires). But with different races, ones money becomes irrelevant, you either can create those ships or you ran out, as all money stays in that race/empire, and as it circulates, doens't really seem to matter. (Hmm...this all makes sense in my head, but it sounds so unstructured when I try to explain it.) Anyhow, besides that, chances are that not all races use money at all! How many times has Star Trek (which seems to be a common mod thingy) mentioned how archaic money has become in the future?

[ June 22, 2004, 15:54: Message edited by: Traskelion ]

"They'll head through the standard Sol route. A ship that size has no other options.
But a ship our size has options."

A-->A* Se+ GdY $? Fr! C--- Css Sf* Ai Au- M+ MpM S-- Ss- RO Pw! Fq- Nd- Rp++ G Mm++ Bb---
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

Paul1980au is on a distinguished road

1 only facility (looking at star trek here) ie super shipyard that yields in SE4 would be 10000 resources construction per turn (can only be built once per empire if they have discovered the alien ruins) and can only be built on the planet which it was discovered.

Could also be troops on built on planet x have a 300% attack and defense bonus.

Some other good ideas coming forward here ie specific classes of wormholes that need to be discovered with advanced scanners - perhaps they are long range warp point links to the far side of a big galaxy.

Also up to 500-700 systems instead of the max now of 255. Very massive empires would be wonderful
Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:22 AM

Sergeant

Spectarofdeath is on a distinguished road

Actually Trask, I understand your point, since all money is the same value, small trading empires could equal large militaristic ones. I was going to suggest some form of system to make it so your money's value to another empire depends on your relations with that empire and your score, but I figured it would take too much time and room in the game to put a system like that in. Honestly, the only real reason I want money, is if I get into a war, and have no fleet, or not enough of one, I want to buy it faster then normal production (here and now, not just cut back on the time) so if they would want to put a purchase option in (using resources instead) thats fine, thats all I'm asking for. Also, maybe some kind of battle history, where you go into it and it tells you how many ships were involved, you get the idea. (I'm sure alot of people won't like the idea due to the fact it will eat up room for something else to go, but it's just a suggestion). How about native (pre-warp like) civilizations that on their own, (assuming the numbers of players isn't maxed out) can become space faring, intergalactic powers.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:46 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectarofdeath:
5.If wp's do abound, weapons that can be fired into the wp to help soften up defenses on the other side would be very helpful. Maybe have probes that can be fired through that just detect whats in the vicinity of the wp so you know if it's defended or not.
You'll be happy to hear that that's exactly what Aaron was referring to by "warp point siege weapons"... though I don't quite see how they would be much different from, say, drones...
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

Paul1980au is on a distinguished road

Up to 50 AI players would be good - this would allow for pre warp point civs, more rebelling empires- more netural types - pirate / nomad races etc.

Im sure with SE5 utilising modern computers capacitieis that this game could be pushed to new limits.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

DeadZone is on a distinguished road

Actually I would prefer the ability to support hundreds of players

HOWEVER, due to the type of strain it could put on computers it would have to be something that editable in options IMO (so lower end comps can say, a game can have a max of X players, while higher end comps can choose to have more)

Oh, and if a civ gets destroyed, it doesnt remain on the player list, so, (like in SEIV when you have 20 players, no more civs can come about from rebellion) it will be able to happen that news race can always be created

However, I think it may have problems wit captured populations, so the workaround I suppose would be for them to be renamed to their new rulers but keeping their specific properties

Ok, the above sounded good in my head, on paper... well Im not so sure lol

Edit: Also how about allowing ANY tech to be exchangable/capturable

But race specific one are just harder to aquire compared to normal ones that anyone can have
Doing this, I could still capture a ship containing terran only tech, and be able to reverse engineer that tech to put on my other ships
But a downside could be, that it wouldnt be as good as the orginal (or a chance of it not being as good, while a chance of it being the same or even better exists)

[ June 23, 2004, 13:52: Message edited by: DeadZone ]
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:36 PM

Private

Alari is on a distinguished road

My wishlist:

Go watch every episode of Star Trek ever made, every series, and then make a game that can let me do everything shown, as well as everything not shown (the 'boring' stuff not suitable for TV, like charting nebulas [without running into some hostile alien] and such =)

Yeah that pretty much covers it. ^.^

(It's what I'm WISHING for, not what I expect to get. =) But I can still dream.)

[ June 23, 2004, 15:39: Message edited by: Alari ]