This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 5th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Debate

I think you've bought into one of the tactics of the bush campaign: lying about what Kerry said during the debate, and then repeating that until people beleive it to be the truth. It's a variation on the "big lie" tactic that Goebbels used to great effectiveness.

You're referring, I think to the new Bush ad called "Global Test."

That ad refers to Kerry's comment in the debate that a pre-emptive strike must pass "the global test where your countrymen, your people understand fully why you're doing what you're doing and you can prove to the world that you did it for legitimate reasons."

The Bush ad called it the "Kerry doctrine," and asked: "So we must seek permission from foreign governments before protecting America?"

Kerry also said in the debate Thursday that he would not cede the United States' right to a pre-emptive strike and that he will "hunt and kill the terrorists wherever they are." Those comments are what the Kerry ad focused on.

So...I don't see how you can say that Kerry said anything about "getting Kofi Anon's permission"

For more see http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/..._ad/index.html

Quote:
Greybeard said:
I thought Kerry showed that he's a good debater. However, he didn't really make any significant points to hurt Bush. He made a huge gaff when he talked about passing an international test (getting Kofi Anon's permission) before taking action to defend the US. This will come back to hurt him; big time.
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Sergeant

Katchoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Greybeard said:
I thought Kerry showed that he's a good debater. However, he didn't really make any significant points to hurt Bush. He made a huge gaff when he talked about passing an international test (getting Kofi Anon's permission) before taking action to defend the US. This will come back to hurt him; big time.
As alarikf has already pointed out, what Kerry actually said during the Debate and what the Bush Campaign would like you to believe he said are two different things.

Here's exactly what Kerry said. You can find the full Debate Transcript here (2440 Debate Transcript)

/Begin exerpt/

LEHRER: New question. Two minutes, Senator Kerry.

What is your position on the whole concept of preemptive war?

KERRY: The president always has the right, and always has had the right, for preemptive strike. That was a great doctrine throughout the Cold War. And it was always one of the things we argued about with respect to arms control.

No president, through all of American history, has ever ceded, and nor would I, the right to preempt in any way necessary to protect the United States of America.

But if and when you do it, Jim, you have to do it in a way that passes the test, that passes the global test where your countrymen, your people understand fully why you're doing what you're doing and you can prove to the world that you did it for legitimate reasons.

Here we have our own secretary of state who has had to apologize to the world for the presentation he made to the United Nations.

I mean, we can remember when President Kennedy in the Cuban missile crisis sent his secretary of state to Paris to meet with DeGaulle. And in the middle of the discussion, to tell them about the missiles in Cuba, he said, "Here, let me show you the photos." And DeGaulle waved them off and said, "No, no, no, no. The word of the president of the United States is good enough for me."

How many leaders in the world today would respond to us, as a result of what we've done, in that way? So what is at test here is the credibility of the United States of America and how we lead the world. And Iran and Iraq are now more dangerous -- Iran and North Korea are now more dangerous.

Now, whether preemption is ultimately what has to happen, I don't know yet. But I'll tell you this: As president, I'll never take my eye off that ball. I've been fighting for proliferation the entire time -- anti-proliferation the entire time I've been in the Congress. And we've watched this president actually turn away from some of the treaties that were on the table.

You don't help yourself with other nations when you turn away from the global warming treaty, for instance, or when you refuse to deal at length with the United Nations.

You have to earn that respect. And I think we have a lot of earning back to do.

/End exerpt/

This isn't about calling the Prime Minister of France and asking him 'pretty please, can America attack that country that hijacked one of our Planes'. This is not about asking for permission to defend America. This is about co-operating with the rest of the world; to understand the full consequences of your actions on other nations, and to have others trust you just as much as the American people do (or should).

At this point there's probably not one nation out there that trusts the current Bush Administration, and because of that lack of trust, the US will be 100% alone in any effort it takes to defend itself; and that includes striking pre-emtively.

Without trust, any further pre-emptive strike at this point by the Bush Administration would be construde as yet another self-serving & mistaken effort.

How much more latitude does anyone think the International Community will give the Bush Administration if it's given a 2nd Term and actually invades another country? The answer is little to none. The US has gone from savior to bully, and in the end every bully eventually gets slammed back. You could make a point that the resistance going on in Iraq is that pushing back, but magnify that by about 10,000 and you'll have an idea of what it'll be like if the International Community suddendly says "enough". Imagine how much worse things would get in the US if some of American's largest trading partners suddenly cut off all economic ties? What would happen to the US if the UN suddenly imposed sanctions against the US? No oil and no money mean an economic collapse and another Great Depression.

That's the road the US is on right now, and given enough time, that's the outcome the US is looking at if people don't wake up and replace the current American Administration. John Kerry may not be perfect (nobody in this world is), but he's infinetly better than Bush could ever hope to be. That 'doom & gloom' scenario I laid out may not happen during a 2nd Bush Term, but the possible fallout from such a 2nd Term (and the lingering effects on the Administrations comming afterwards) should be enough to scare the sh!t out of anyone who can think for themselves.
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

Roanon is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised that anyone is still believing anything what Bush says after it is crystal clear that he has used blatant lies from the very beginning to start his Iraq war.

But this attitude - I am xxx party supporter therefore I will blindly believe anything that xxx says - is what leads to the typical behaviour of the candidates not to say anything about what they will do or change when they are elected. Like in this case, any clear statement surely will be blurred, distorted and taken out of context by the other side, presented as something utterly negative, and will be believed and repeated by the followers regardless of its total falseness.

Because such lies are tolerated so much, this lack of any significant statements will continue. Lies are the worst in political business, and as long as honesty is not a deceicive value for the voters, you get what you have.
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Corporal

teal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Greybeard said:
Quote:
Atrocities said:
To be honest, I could care less about this debate or any debate.
If you COULD care less, how much do you care? 10%, 20%?

I suppose you mean that you couldn't care less.

This misuse of English is one of my pet peeves, along with saying "quote, endquote, <quoted line>", instead of "quote <quoted line> endquote". Another one is "not available in all areas". Technically, this means that it is not available anywhere. What they mean is, "not available in SOME areas."
The "could" or "couldn't" care less was actually the topic of Atlantic Monthly's "grammar section" a while back. Their conlcusion.... both ways were correct, if you use "couldn't". For example, you can say "I couldn't care less" and "I couldn't care more" and both of them mean the same things. (albiet slightly different in texture).

"I couldn't care more" means that the debates are so meaningless that it would be physically impossible for me to care more about them, which is an odd way of thinging about it in the present cultural climate.

I suspect that the positive view "I could care less" is actually ok also under similar somewhat weird definitions. The most important thing about language is that you are understood and that people know what you are talking about. "I could care less" matches that test for me.

On the plus side being overly concerned about "correct" grammar leads to some great comments, such as Churchill's "... that is something up with which I shall not put." When told he couldn't have dangling something or others (participles?).

Teal
Old October 5th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but...

Kerry used the term "global test", not "international test". I interpreted this in the context of the rest of his statements, and I did not interpret international anywhere.

Shamelessly taken from dictionary.com:
Quote:
glob·al
Pronunciation Key (glbl)
adj.

1. Having the shape of a globe; spherical.
2. Of, relating to, or involving the entire earth; worldwide: global war; global monetary policies.
3. Comprehensive; total: “a... global, generalized sense of loss” (Maggie Scarf).
4. Computer Science. Of or relating to an entire program, document, or file.
Ok, so obviously, he did not mean "spherical test", and he obviously did not say it in the context of computer science, so options 1 and 4 are automatically out. That leaves "worldwide" or "comprehensive". And in the context of everything else he said, it is clear to me that he meant "comprehensive". His entire point was that a President must be able to convince his own people completely that an action is necessary if he can ever hope to convince anyone that the action was right. Bush only managed to convince about 60% tops of the population that invading Iraq was a Good Thing(tm), and that percentage is drastically smaller now that many have realized that the pretenses for invasion were false. It also seems that a large majority of those who do still think it is a good thing are at least to some extent still convinced that Saddam Hussein == Terrorism, despite evidence that Saddam was one of the most powerful enemies to fundamentalist Islamic terrorists in the Middle East.

So, yes, it was an unfortunate choice of words on Kerry's part, due to Bush's campaign managers' penchant for twisting and spinning everything to make Bush look like the greatest thing since sliced bread. That doesn't mean you should believe what comes out of their collective traps concerning Kerry. Listening to one side of the argument always leaves you with a distorted view of the whole issue, and that campaign is the master of distortions. Just look at how they destroyed McCain in 2000, spinned all their policies while in office (Clear Skies Initiative, anyone?), etc.

I'm not saying the Kerry campaign is innocent of this either. But they have been a lot more honest, which counts for a lot in my book.
Old October 6th, 2004, 01:14 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

I would say Edwards won Last night

and tie that in with Duelfer's report being released this week.

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:31 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Edwards lost Last night, and tie that with Fox News.
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:29 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

Don't you mean Fox "news"?

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Edwards lost Last night, and tie that with Fox News.
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Fox News is no better or worse than any other US news media... it is just unfairly biased in a different direction than most of them are... But yeah, lets all jump on the bandwagon and unfairly hold Fox to a higher standard than everyone else.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:04 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Krsqk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
tesco samoa said:
I would say Edwards won Last night

and tie that in with Duelfer's report being released this week.
Umm, I'm a bit dense right now, but what connection am I supposed to make?

Feed me the information--I'll take whatever you say at face value.

"I only watch TescoNet!"

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Fox News is no better or worse than any other US news media... it is just unfairly biased in a different direction than most of them are... But yeah, lets all jump on the bandwagon and unfairly hold Fox to a higher standard than everyone else.
Didn't you know? There's no such thing as liberal bias. Liberalism is pristine humanity's natural state, and he has to be corrupted to conservatism.

"Well, sir, at the moment my left processor doesn't know what my right is doing." - Freefall