.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 13th, 2004, 03:21 AM

Corporal

djtool is on a distinguished road
Default illwinter (spell)

I"m really bummed about this spell. In the description it states that you awaken these giants. I've had it up forever on the apocalypse game and have never gotten one. The spell description should be rewritten so the next newb doesn't get his heart broken.
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:29 AM

Corporal

Frosted Flake is on a distinguished road
Default Re: illwinter (spell)

I've always wondered if Jotunheim wants to cast this spell? I mean the water mages you get are described as trying to bring about the illwinter yet I fear the cold provinces would suffer the most.

frosted flake
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sheap is on a distinguished road

Illwinter doesn't actually create giants for you to use as units. It just reduces temperature and causes unrest.

The problem with casting the spell as Jotunheim, or as anyone, is that it is like painting a big target on yourself.

IMO, because of having better patrollers and liking even colder weather, Illwinter is actually better for Caelum than it is for Jotunheim. But Jotunheim would be second best.

Cold provinces suffer the least because they have less room to get colder. Hot provinces suffer the most, for instance if you are Jotunheim living in a cold-3 province that is only 1 point away from ideal, but if you are Abysia then it is 6 points away from ideal (i.e. you have no money).

[ July 13, 2004, 04:25: Message edited by: Sheap ]
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:48 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Frosted Flake:
I've always wondered if Jotunheim wants to cast this spell? I mean the water mages you get are described as trying to bring about the illwinter yet I fear the cold provinces would suffer the most.

frosted flake
Niefelheim theme DOES! Have you checked their starting spells? Yes, Illwinter! They already have to take Cold 3 for the theme, so no extra loss...
And as it is a Blood ritual you will be able to hunt for the slaves needed in every game, without searching. Your home province will suffer a little, but think of everyone else...

Illwinter at turn 12!
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Captain

Cohen is on a distinguished road

In fact it's the opposite of Second Sun ...
I wonder only why such an high spell is a national spell ...

Like if to Abysya were given Second Sun as national spell in addition to Flare.
- The Enemy of the SC and all the overpowered and unbalanced things.
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:31 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

It is thematic. VERY thematic. It also hurts Jotunheim as they need as much gold as they can get and Niefelheim does not have any cheap patrollers. Niefelheim is very strongly biased towards bless strategy, that needs points. If you were going to cast Illwinter with your pretender you would have to sacrifice something. Giants kill everything they hit, period. +2 strength has next to none effect. And you probably wouldn't want to go above B5 needed for the spell. Water is nice, especially at 9, but that is very expensive again. You could also go for Earth or Nature, but not for both, and not for a nine.

If you were to cast Illwinter with your Skrattis you would have to wait until Contruction 6. W2B3 (optimal) would still need atleast Water Bracelet, Brazen Vessel and Blood Athame. You can get both Water and Blood boosters at Constr. 2/4, but you cannot equip them all as two of the Blood (Armor of Souls/Twisting Thorns) and the only Water (Robe of the Sea) booster all go for Body slot.

It is exceptional, but still not easy to use. And, as said before, you are everyone's target. It is not as Illwinter was the end of the world. It takes three years of Illwinter to make that happen!

Endoperez
That Last one is only a nordic myth, luckily
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:38 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Closely looking at this spell makes it not worthwhile unless your a strong power on the map with most of your enemies using heat of 2 and 3. Also its very misleading/cruel for the spell description to say it's awakening these giants when it does not. The spell only creates unrest and spreads cold... rarely worth investing blood_slaves to cast the spell.
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:07 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Endoperez:
You could also go for Earth or Nature, but not for both, and not for a nine.
An earth 4, nature 9 blessing is just affordable for Nifelheim with the Earth Mother. You can do it with order 3, cold 3, misfortune 2, and a fortress. This setup has the added benefit of saving you 10 nature gems for the regen rings for each Jarl, as well as allowing you to control when they will become berserkers by placing the bless spell Last in their list of spells. It also gives you reinvigoration 2, which isn't a lot, but makes it easier to give them enough reinvigoration to be able to fight against undead troops.