The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 15th, 2004, 01:39 AM

Corporal

QBrigid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI Campaign => For a Challenging AI opponent

THATS THE TRUTH OLEG

You do not want to (BLINDLY) open a warp to a Psyco or Violent AI, unless you are prepared

[ July 15, 2004, 12:59: Message edited by: QBrigid ]
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:25 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by QBrigid:
quote:
Originally posted by gregebowman:
As of right now, I just stopped using Starliners, and am now using large transports. Not only can I get them to hold more people (right now it's 3 million), I've got them moving at movement 8. It's still slow in getting people to my newly colonized systems as I expand, but it's better than the starliners.
I like the Star Liners and don't play with OS*.
And I do the same thing a FEW DOZEN slow and cheap Starliners and a bunch of Fast Tranports

The only thing that's keeping me from having huge fleets of tranpsorts is my minerals. I'm not mining enough, apparently, and get into shortages. (darn those mainenance costs!) But I hope to correct that with System Mineral Scanners and colonizing planets with 100%+ minerals.

[ July 15, 2004, 21:26: Message edited by: gregebowman ]
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Lieutenant General

oleg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
THATS THE TRUTH OLEG

You do not want to (BLINDLY) open a warp to a Psyco or Violent AI, unless you are prepared
Yeah, I once had a game very similar to the first chapters of "In death ground"
Damn, how I love that book !
Old July 18th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by gregebowman:
The only thing that's keeping me from having huge fleets of tranpsorts is my minerals. I'm not mining enough, apparently, and get into shortages. (darn those mainenance costs!) But I hope to correct that with System Mineral Scanners and colonizing planets with 100%+ minerals. [/QB]
Mineral Scaners will give you an extra 15 to 45%.
Don't forget Planet Engineering to raise the Value of the Planets.
Ring World Placement should give you the sure win over the AI if you can manage one or two.

AIC is designed for you to have or even need a few hundred war ships for most of the game and you should pass the AI, not by much depending on the AI Bonus you started with.
You need all sorts ships in a combat fleet from Destroyers to a few Battleships and Dreads
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:40 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by JLS:
Absolutely, the UC is agreed by most - to be a fine Idea and addition for the AIC Human Players. It really takes no options away from Human Players and it is a fine {{{trophy/reward}}} if you will, to those that have accomplished all three colonizer type techs
JLS it is easy to build the UC and have it waiting for a planet to be created. No more worrying about the AI beating you to colonize the new planet

[ July 18, 2004, 18:41: Message edited by: QBrigid ]
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Lieutenant General

oleg is on a distinguished road

I think there is a problem with AI recon. satelites - recently I encountered Cue-Cappa stalite stack with 4 "normal" missile satelites and 65 !!! recon. satelites (psyc. receptors, PDC and nothing else). I looked up AI files and nothing there suggested so many recon. satelites so it is a puzzle to me. May be simply drop all recon. satel for AI ? It has build-in scanners after all !

( I can e-mail a save game with this situation)
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

JLS is on a distinguished road

Thanks Oleg, I meant to resolve the AI spy sats totals. The onboard AI SAT scanners are weak and designed mostly for storms as to initiate other defences - AI mines, etc.

After this next AIC release - all AIC AI files will be refreshed to utilize all changes from the new AIC v4.191 DATA files.
BTW: I looked at the Terran Race, as you suggested. What I may do: is drop Engine Overloading research and concentrate them towards High-Energy Discharge earlier and to include many PD options on all Platforms for all races

[ July 19, 2004, 19:44: Message edited by: JLS ]

Optimized for[i] Solitaire Play!
With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:23 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

JLS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mineral Scaners will give you an extra 15 to 45%.
Don't forget Planet Engineering to raise the Value of the Planets.
Ring World Placement should give you the sure win over the AI if you can manage one or two.

AIC is designed for you to have or even need a few hundred war ships for most of the game and you should pass the AI, not by much depending on the AI Bonus you started with.
You need all sorts ships in a combat fleet from Destroyers to a few Battleships and Dreads

Mineral Extraction will be raised as per the previous post, Eco Farms and Rad Colliders will be quicker to establish - all in AIC next Version, this to further address the Human Player needs from the se4 v1.91 upgrade. Followed by the AIC AI refresh and then I am done. On with Star Fury and se5!!!

Planetary Engineering and SM Super World Placements are not needed in AI NONE Bonus games.
However, you will need some Planetary Engineering in a AI LOW Bonus Game to sustain a thorough offensive capability.
In a AI MED Bonus Game you will need all of the se4 tools to win.
It is unlikely you can win a AI High Bonus game - this is meant for certain LAN Games.

Above all and this is the key: stabilize your borders first - then GO from there

It is very difficult for Battleships, Dreadnoughts or Base Ship to hit a Destroyer and it can be almost impossible for them to hit a Frigate. A Mixed fleet is your best option - just follow the AI players lead with Ship Displacements and try not to get far ahead of them. Infrastructure investments are just as important as weapons of war - perhaps, more so in most situations

[ July 19, 2004, 20:06: Message edited by: JLS ]

Optimized for[i] Solitaire Play!
With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old July 24th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Corporal

I started an AIC SOLITAIRE with the game settiing of {Players can only colonize home planet type} using the FQM-Centurian AIC cluster map and the AI does not even break down (WOW)
Old July 24th, 2004, 03:59 PM

Sergeant

Grand Lord Vito is on a distinguished road

The AIC AI can handle almost every game starting setup

We have been playing “planet type only starts” in few of our LAN games for a long time now and the AI does FANTASTIC. Dont worry it wont hurt the AIC AI if you stric mine all the planets and astroids

Here are a few AIC (own type start) tips if you are playing with the AI Campaign supplied FQM quad maps.
Start with a large FQM-Cent map and any amount of AI players. I like GAS and mine all the Rock types. Less COLONIES to manage and more minning that way

1: Look for a sector with a lot of moons and place a satilite outpost to get tons of resources.

2: Put Robo Miner Components on the Transports and mine the planets that aren’t your type.

3: TRADE with NEUTRALS and the other AI Players or even your Trade Center for any resources that you need early, but that should not be a problem with all the ASTRO MINING you can do

4: After you get to medium transports research Industry 2 and strart building some AIC RESOURCE STATIONS with a SYS. Remember the AIC Resource Station Hull has some automatic minning capabilities built in. I think they are 900 minerals, 600 Rads and 300 orgs and then you still can add a Robo Minning Component and mine even more

[ July 24, 2004, 15:07: Message edited by: Grand Lord Vito ]