This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 9th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Russia new wonder weapon?

I hate to keep dragging this thread away from the political arguments, but I will anyway.

The point about the super-fast torpedo changing the way underwater warfare works is well taken. If it works, you could indeed see the case for using active sonar to "light up" the target at a distance and then kill it. There is one problem, though. How do you know when there is a target there? If you run around with active sonar (or any other active search mechanism) on all the time the other side will see you coming from miles away. The super-fast torpedo won't shoot down the aircraft that gets called in to take out the sub that's busy pinging the empty ocean.

The problem with any "wonder weapon" is that it won't stay that way very long. If one side has it and it is effective, the other side will figure out how to build it too. Also, there might be ways to stop it coming in. If it is moving at two hundred miles an hour under water then it might well be possible to put something (other than a ship ) in its path long enough for it to crash into it and be destroyed.

Edit: This is in no way an argument that the technology couldn't be very effective. If the US isn't looking into it we should be (and probably are). A weapon of that nature would not have to be limited to submarines. Since everyone seems to have a way to shoot down anti-shipping cruise missiles, you could use this technology from surface ships to build underwater "cruise missiles". If you could extend their range (perhaps by increasing their size) and give them intelligent seeking capability you could create a whole new class of weapon (drones, anyone?).

[ April 09, 2004, 14:09: Message edited by: Alpha Kodiak ]

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Yef:
So, it all boils down to senseless, empty, and wounded national pride. You hate the superpower because you are not it, you hate the supepower because you want to be it.
I bet that if you were the superpower, you would have already "fixed" all the wrong things in the world, wouldn't you?

I'm sorry for breaking it to you, but if one day your country becomes the superpower, its going to be hated as much as the US is hated today.
Sigh... it's so hard to express myself in the way I would like. My native language is Dutch (wow, really?), so English is not my primary language. I don't have the same feel for it like you.
I was mearly (typo, maybe?) trying to point out the general feeling of the world towards America. I didn't want to attack you or the beautful country that America is. I´ve some friends living in California, so I´ve been to America and saw the beauty of the country... and the smog.

I think other readers are not feeling at ease with this little conversation of ours, so shall we burry the axe of war and make peace brother?

Oh BTW, nice speeches in the course of our conversation.

Edit: I gave you the full 5 stars for this most enjoyable little talk of ours. Thumbs up for us!

[ April 09, 2004, 17:25: Message edited by: Timstone ]

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:05 PM

Sergeant

EvilGenius4ABetterTomorro is on a distinguished road

I was thinking about how to stop a fast torp also. Something in the water for it to hit was also my first thought. Also thought if you could distrupt the SuperCavitation bubble around the torp it would cause drag and maybe slow it down or alter it's course irreversibly (my big word of the day).
In fact you can make a ship sink by putting enough Methane in the water that it alters it's density and things won't float!
"Helm, what's that smell?" "I think we're being flushed sir!"

I like the Netherlands, Hot Girls, Cold Beer, Cheap Pot, Friendly People, Nice Dikes.
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilGenius4ABetterTomorro:
I was thinking about how to stop a fast torp also. Something in the water for it to hit was also my first thought. Also thought if you could distrupt the SuperCavitation bubble around the torp it would cause drag and maybe slow it down or alter it's course irreversibly (my big word of the day).
In fact you can make a ship sink by putting enough Methane in the water that it alters it's density and things won't float!

I like the Netherlands, Hot Girls, Cold Beer, Cheap Pot, Friendly People, Nice Dikes.
Hahahaha... "Sir, we've been jammed. It's strawberry."

Another 5 full stars today for the fact that The EvilGenius like my beloved homecountry.

[ April 09, 2004, 19:12: Message edited by: Timstone ]

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilGenius4ABetterTomorro:

I was thinking perhaps you could launch a canister of compressed air toward the torpedo as far as you could then have it release a curtain of air bubbles in front of the torp. I'm not sure what would happen in that case.

[ April 09, 2004, 19:27: Message edited by: Alpha Kodiak ]

Old April 10th, 2004, 12:46 AM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

Hafnium and elements with similar properties are really very cool. the ability to charge up an element with energy and then set it off is pretty slick. sub nuclear, but much better than conventional explosives.

maybe this will revive the davy crocket project in another form. unfortuneatly, it still leaves small traces of radioactive fallout.

The potential for polonium powered nuclear batteries is pretty cool, too. everyone remember that theoretical man-portable chemical laser? THAT was cool. polonium power sources could also solve some of the battery life and generator weight problems they are having with the battlefield armored suits that DARPA is developing.
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:00 AM

Corporal

Yef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Timstone:

Hahaha... this still makes me laugh. Hehehe...
Why am I not surprised?

Quote:

Anyway back to the math question. There might me more Americans (numerical, not percentage), there are still more than enough other people Online.
Oh man, not this anymore.
It is not about how many people from the world have access to internet, but how many from each individual country. The country with the largest number give you the odds to find the largest number of morons. Plain and sinple.
You don't say "the Japanese are morons" because of the behavior of posters from France.
You treat each nationality individually, so its pointless your intention of placing all the Americans on one side and the rest of the world on the other.

Quote:

And not all Americans are morons... I hope...
But in the end your statement is questionable. If there were more Dutch people Online they would have been the ones the world dislikes (according to you that is).
Yes, if there were 200 millions dutch Online they would be the ones branded morons, because inevitable you would find a higher number of Dutch retards within the general Dutch population, and since its in human nature to remember the bad things more clearly than the good things.....

Quote:

But the Dutch don't have such a huge influence in the world. So not only the number of people Online is importnat, but also the size of the country and how aggressive their politics are.
That's your own personal especulation. Since the the country with the larger access to the web happens to be the sole superpower, and somewhat aggressive (nothing compared to good old Europe back in his day), then you can't prove your theory at the moment.

Quote:

It just boils down to a classical battle of good vs evil. The badguy's are always hatted. And in the eyes of most of the world America is the badguy.
No, no, no, in "the eyes of the world" America is the superpower, and most people that don't benefit from the superpower, hate the superpower. From the Assyrian Empire to America today. To be hated by the envious without cause, the would-be superpowers, the have-been superpowers, or the powerless enemy, comes with the job of superpower. Its right there in the contract, and not in the fine print.

So, it all boils down to senseless, empty, and wounded national pride. You hate the superpower because you are not it, you hate the supepower because you want to be it.
I bet that if you were the superpower, you would have already "fixed" all the wrong things in the world, wouldn't you?

I'm sorry for breaking it to you, but if one day your country becomes the superpower, its going to be hated as much as the US is hated today.

P.S: A free cookie to whoever finds out how many times I used the word "superpower" in this post.
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Puke:
Hafnium and elements with similar properties are really very cool. the ability to charge up an element with energy and then set it off is pretty slick. sub nuclear, but much better than conventional explosives.

maybe this will revive the davy crocket project in another form. unfortuneatly, it still leaves small traces of radioactive fallout.

The potential for polonium powered nuclear batteries is pretty cool, too. everyone remember that theoretical man-portable chemical laser? THAT was cool. polonium power sources could also solve some of the battery life and generator weight problems they are having with the battlefield armored suits that DARPA is developing.
How about a star drive? Or perhaps a high output ion engine?

Think about it
Old April 11th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

Thought i'd drop my thoughts here

Considering we're on a public forum, dfiscussing this i imagine it means not only The US but other countries will be developing counters for this torpedo, In reality this weapon may never become used if it's rendered obsolete before the need to use it.

That and Imagine what else the military's of the world are building! If it's going to give the country a huge advantage the information is very rarely released to the public, in truth, we can speculate and listen to rumours but we have no idea what other "war changing" weapons are being developed all over the globe!

For all we know my countries, The UK, top brass arn't sitting around with tea and crumpets and are funding the creation of Anti Proton Beams

EDIT: Actually thinking about it, it could all be speculation, it was in the media I remember stories about how everyone was terrfied that nations were developing Laser armed satelites that could track people by Mobile Phones and kill them within a rather accurate range. Did this ever happen? Not to my memory. Either way we'll develop something really nasty and we're all going to wipe ourselves out with it, something that makes a nuclear bomb useless. Hopefully we won't, but looking around today i have little hope left for this race...

[ April 11, 2004, 13:13: Message edited by: Raging Deadstar ]
Old April 11th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Raging Deadstar:
Actually thinking about it, it could all be speculation, it was in the media I remember stories about how everyone was terrfied that nations were developing Laser armed satelites that could track people by Mobile Phones and kill them within a rather accurate range. Did this ever happen? Not to my memory.
Maybe that explains some of the mysterious disappearances that happen. You never know when a laser might str... -Aaarrrrgggghhhhhhh-