.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:41 AM

Sergeant

Keir Maxwell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nation/Race Guide

The death 9 bless effect means that when you are blessed and die you come back as Soulless - not much use for a warrior but handy for a mage as undead have no upkeep.

The Prince of Death is primarily deadly for his fear effect which increases with his level in death magic - both in area of effect and in nastiness.

If you are playing Ctis you start with the spell Terror whihc goes up in strength based on Death power. Its worthwhile making up a PoD death9 Ctis race just to watch those clouds of billowing black terror driving the enemy from the field.

Cheers

Keir

[ December 02, 2003, 07:52: Message edited by: Keir Maxwell ]
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:51 AM

Sergeant

Keir Maxwell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by J Stanley:

Are bless effects really that good?
Think Jhotun Niefelheim theme using Mother Nature with Earth9, Nature9 for turning Niefel Giants into monstrosities. Yum, Yum. Can't remember what the thread on that was called but a search on Niefelheim should find it.

Do a search for a thread called "Dancers of Death" for a handy Ctis water9 death6 race which can be tweaked or altered in many ways and still provide some impressive results. I have not found the "best" Version yet and when I come with mine I promise not to tell.

Its a case of looking for sacred troops that can become much better given some of the sacred effects and then trying to squeeze enough points out of dominion to afford it.

Are bless effect races the "way to go"? No - but they are fun and they weren't in Dom1.

cheers

Keir
Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
I believe Sunraybe's site has the working mechanics of a Race by Race graph. It is located here http://www.freewebs.com/sunray_dom2/

I do not know if he has had time to update it or need more information from other people.
Yes, I'm working on short "nation guides" too. So far I've only prepared something for Jotunheim Iron Woods : http://www.freewebs.com/sunray_dom2/jotun.html

That takes a *lot* of time. I'm still working on a complete list of magic sites, and trying to harmonize the units DB.

You should check my dom1 site, since 90% of the information is still useful for dom2 IMO
http://www.freewebs.com/sunraybe

Cheers
Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:26 PM

Private

Aetius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunray_be:
quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
I believe Sunraybe's site has the working mechanics of a Race by Race graph. It is located here http://www.freewebs.com/sunray_dom2/

I do not know if he has had time to update it or need more information from other people.
Yes, I'm working on short "nation guides" too. So far I've only prepared something for Jotunheim Iron Woods : http://www.freewebs.com/sunray_dom2/jotun.html

That takes a *lot* of time. I'm still working on a complete list of magic sites, and trying to harmonize the units DB.

You should check my dom1 site, since 90% of the information is still useful for dom2 IMO
http://www.freewebs.com/sunraybe

Cheers

Sunray, I have visited your site before, good work thus far. To the others that have posted, thank you for the information, I will have to give some of these other strategies a try.

On my own I have experimented and found that with Marignon early you need an army with a large number of crossbows and a thin shield of HI. I have frequently captured independent provinces without any losses. Lastly to the community members thanks again for all of the input.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 06:07 PM

Sergeant

ywl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Aetius:
I will admit it is a hefty request, probably too big. However, having played many games, losing the majority to the AI, it seems that I must be doing something wrong. Primarily I play as Marignon and it seems to be extremely difficult to win as this nation, which is part of the fun .

However, it seems to me that the more humanistic races, i.e. Pythium, Marignon, Man, have a serious disadvantage, unless like Ulm they can tolerate having a negative dominion scale. It seems that Abyssia, Emor, Jotunheim, et al. have big advantages by being able to take large negative scales, especially Emor, without having to suffer any of the consequences.

So if anyone out there wants to advice me on how to set up a winning Pythium, Marignon, or Man I am ready to listen.
Jotun is strong. But Ermor and Abysia have their own problems. Pythium, Man and Marignon are all strong nations - somebody might disagree on the Marignon bit.

The key is to keep it simple. You can go for the lot of varieties when you're more comfortable with the game. Keir Maxwell gave some good examples. Though personally, I never like unluck.

To beat AIs, you can use the simplest pretender, a Wyrm or a low magic dragon. Use the other points on good scales and a decent castle. Spend all you income on simple Heavy Infantries. Go out and conqueror. You would be the largest nations before turn 20. Then just crush the AI one by one when they declare war on you. It works even for Marignon. The only trick you need to know is which indie to attack first.

Actually, I think the same strategy work equally well with human players. There are troop killing spells and super-combatants to handle. But still, gold and resource matter the most in many cases.

P.S. Marignon's crossbow is wonderful. But because of their slow firing rate, you need a larger number to be effective. Your expansion won't be as fast.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:41 PM

Corporal

Teleolurian is on a distinguished road

Yes! Sunray's nation guides are my number one favorite resource for Dominions. Please, please, please cover every nation and theme this time (it was annoying in Dom1 when I'd pick a race and not have anything but a few Usenet threads to back me up).
Old December 4th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Teleolurian:
Yes! Sunray's nation guides are my number one favorite resource for Dominions. Please, please, please cover every nation and theme this time (it was annoying in Dom1 when I'd pick a race and not have anything but a few Usenet threads to back me up).
Thanks for your support. Covering every nation and theme of dom2 is a hell of a lot of work! I did not covered every nation of dom1 because... I never played them all (even after 2 years).
If you have anything to contribute, please LMK.
Rather than write guides, I keep the units DB as my priority.
Cheers

[ December 04, 2003, 12:22: Message edited by: Sunray_be ]