.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ryan Eye MP Game (thread name changed)

Quote:
Originally posted by SurvivalistMerc:
I think I played my turn. It shows as being played and as Man being the only nation that hasn't played when Last I looked.
Your turn is in. We are fine so far. I just wanted to make the post as suggestions to try and keep this game from becoming like others Ive been in where 2 weeks later everyone decides the game must be dead.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 2nd, 2004, 04:54 PM

Private

RyanZA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
quote:
I think I played my turn. It shows as being played and as Man being the only nation that hasn't played when Last I looked.
Your turn is in. We are fine so far. I just wanted to make the post as suggestions to try and keep this game from becoming like others Ive been in where 2 weeks later everyone decides the game must be dead.
Maybe put the game as a force host every night at 12? Im sure everyone can find some time sometime each day, even if its just a minute or two.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 05:01 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road

Once the game gets past the beginning, it'll take more than a few minutes to do one's turn though. For those that survive long enough to get there that is, as the map is pretty crowded.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanZA:
Maybe put the game as a force host every night at 12? Im sure everyone can find some time sometime each day, even if its just a minute or two.
Do you mean change it from quick-host (when all turns are in) now to being every midnight (California time?)

I think its either one or the other. Actually I can put both on but I dont think thats all-moves OR midnight. I think its all-moves AND midnight. So if everyone did their turns it would process then at midnight process again. Let me know which one you want.

With some programming I was thinking that I could create something that can check for whether a turn was done and force it at midnight IF it hadnt done it in 24 hours. Leave the game daemon running on quick-host, have the --postexec save the time to a file, have a midnight program check the time-file and if its too long then shutdown the quick-time and do a forced hosting and bring the quick-time back up... maybe I will hack on that idea abit.

[ January 02, 2004, 15:38: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:53 PM

Private

RyanZA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf,

If I didn't play my turn, please let me know.

Thanks.
You are ctis correct? Your turn is not in.. try it again..

Quote:
Do you mean change it from quick-host (when all turns are in) now to being every midnight (California time?)

I think its either one or the other. Actually I can put both on but I dont think thats all-moves OR midnight. I think its all-moves AND midnight. So if everyone did their turns it would process then at midnight process again. Let me know which one you want.

With some programming I was thinking that I could create something that can check for whether a turn was done and force it at midnight IF it hadnt done it in 24 hours. Leave the game daemon running on quick-host, have the --postexec save the time to a file, have a midnight program check the time-file and if its too long then shutdown the quick-time and do a forced hosting and bring the quick-time back up... maybe I will hack on that idea abit.
That combined option sounds good, but failing that, once every day should be fine. We'r only playing one turn a day as it is anyway.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 07:06 PM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

Hmm, that should be possible already. There's a game going on Kristoffer's server that quick-hosts once all the turns are in but otherwise waits until the appointed days. If you haven't finished by then, it goes ahead without you unless it has been less than 48 hours since the Last hosting.

Maybe he can jump in and explain how to get things set up that way.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

SurvivalistMerc is on a distinguished road

Yes...I am Ctis. I will try it again when I get home. I don't mean to hold folks up. It showed my turn as being done when I looked Last night. Then I redid certain portions to do it better while waiting for what looked like Man.

Other than using end turn when finished, is there anything special I have to do for MP? Because I did end turn after the turn was ended.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:24 PM

Sergeant

Karacan is on a distinguished road

No, your turn was done fine. It's just that meanwhile, I did mine, and thus your turn was hosted.

Just get in and do your second turn. You'll see your actions of turn 1 proceeded. (If not, you get a "Stale Turn" message... this is when you should contact your local game admin if he or you messed up.)

Don't worry, it's all rather foolproof.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 02:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

SurvivalistMerc is on a distinguished road

I'm glad I did it ok.

When did you guys pick pretenders? I think Gandalf gave me mine, which is a rather neat one.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 02:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

PLEASE people. If you take a nation in ANY multiplayer game, be responsible enough to make sure it doesnt hold up everyone else. Im recently been in 3 other games that just plain came to a stop.

I take it for granted that we are all patient enough to allow for 1 turn a day instead of a hotseat rush, and that we probably arent thrilled if things go longer than 24 hours.

If you cant play for 24 hours due to a trip or something then arrange for a friend to take your turn, or post here, or contact Ryan, or myself. We dont even need your password. If you want we can force process the game anyway. (actually if Ryan wants it we can force a hosting even if someone doesnt contact us)

And if you get mad at your situation, and decide to drop out of the game, PLEASE let us know so we can find a replacement or set you to AI. Dont leave everyone hanging and wondering.

[ January 02, 2004, 12:39: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]