.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:37 PM

Corporal

aldin is on a distinguished road
Default Synergies twixt Nation and Magic Path

I'm having a difficult time feeling out the magic synergies of various nations. Ulm was pretty easy, with clear synergy to the Construction path (Forge Bonus / lots of Earth spells) and a lesser synergy to the Summoning path (good options for a 2E1F caster). I suppose Blood is a pretty obvious synergy for nations with Blood mages, but what else is there? If you have the time to give a bit of an explanation as to why the synergy exists I'd very much appreciate that as well. If anyone wants to explain a specific theme, that'd be great - but I'm not as interested in good synergies with specific pretenders because my focus here is the basics. Thanks in advance!

~Aldin
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:12 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Synergies twixt Nation and Magic Path

Well, I find Evocation/Alteration goes very well with Arcoscephale. With all those elemental battlefield spells your mystics will be a real force to reckoned with.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:55 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

There may be specific spells to shoot for. For a nation with good archers, for instance, Wind Guide and Flaming Arrows are obvious picks.
For R'lyeh, Thaugmaturgy 1's Returning might save your Void Summoner; later on, Ritual of Returning will help. Thaug also provides Paralyze, if memory serves, a strong spell for astral nations.
For Jotunheim/Utgard, those Astral/Death seithkona are just begging to be able to cast Nether Darts, but that's fairly high level.
For Abysia, Conjuration research provides access to Summer Lions, which make an unbreakable, ethereal front line. Just avoid the temptation to be a one-path nation, however...
Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:02 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

I'm curious...

How many people actually play a low research strategy, that is one where they really only get to levels 4+ in two schools?

It just seems too easy to me to get to level 4 in 4+ schools by turn 25 (or sooner if I really want to) and even go to level 5 or 6 in one of them for a specific spell...

This idea of nation/research synergy just seems strange to me, sure you have early spell targets, and then you have later game spell targets, but those often seem to change based on who and what you are up against. I guess its just that as soon as I find a library I crank out sages one a turn for 10 turns+ and since its not unlikely to get a library before turn 10 (depending on how fast you expand) by turn 20 its not uncommon for me to have ~80 (depending on scales) research points from sages, that'll get you to level 3 in everything really fast...
Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:18 PM

Man has Relief and Mass Protection. Both of these can have a dramatic impact on the game. Along with Healing Mists and Charm. Pangaea has some of these too, though with more cost (Only Pan's can cast them).

There are quite a few more. Though you will find *most* of them in either Enchantment or Alteration.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:14 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Ah, Relief. Nice spell, especially for those using Communion, or perhaps Curse of Stones.
Astral nations might want to head for Enchantment for Dispel, especially if Ermor, Jotunheim or C'tis is in the game due to the likelihood of Burden of Time. Nature casters will want Enchantment for the extremely nice Gift of Health global.