.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 16th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Private

major^3 is on a distinguished road
Default Garrisons?

Having played Medieval Total war alot, i am used to leaving garrisons in provinces to prevent rebellions and etc. However, there doesnt seem to be such a bad case of that in Dom2. So i just wanted to know if you guys left garrisons in each of your provinces? Also, is it really necessary, because i hate lots and lots of micromanagement and i love magic items and its really hard to make them and have a commander or two in every province :-P
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Garrisons?

Province defense (PD) is a static garrison that is very useful to defend against unexpected magical attacks from afar by summoned creatures, probing attacks by AIs, or an easy conquest by stealthed units. Depending on your situation, it is also useful to have mobile "fire brigades" to hunt down anything that might get past your front lines. If you are magically strong (in astral), you can use labs as "airbases" to quickly shuttle armies around the map to where they may be needed.

EDIT: if you've been reading my AAR, you'll have seen that I'm under continual attack by Vanheim, magically, in random provinces of mine. If I did not have PD in all my provinces I'd be in trouble. Of course, Jotunheim has arguably the best PD troops in the game (giants), so buying PD as Jotunheim is a really good investment. YMMV with other nations. R'lyeh has lousy PD (except for the illithid commanders). Some other nations have even worse PD troops (hard as that may be to believe).

[ March 16, 2004, 06:33: Message edited by: Arryn ]
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Corporal

Gateway103 is on a distinguished road

You can use Province Defense in conjunction with mobile troops. They are not as good a mobile garrisons, since they can't move and are generally of weaker units (depends on nations, some are better than others), but they are free of upkeeps.

To raise PD in any owned province, click on Defense, or press 'd' and then use the arrow to increase the defense value. Note for each point increase in PD, you pay X gold, where X is the current value to be raised. I.e. going from 0 to 1 needs only 1 gold, but 1 to 2 needs 2 gold pieces, and so on.

Having PD also help somewhat in detecting stealth units if PD level > 10, your PD also gain an extra commander if PD level > 20 (i.e. make that total of 2 free commanders)

As you can see, PD takes little to get started, but to make it strong enough to defend against small-medium raids, it takes a lot of gold. Another use of PD v.s. AI, however, is to funnel enemy forces, as enemies tend to ignore provinces with high PD levels, when there are ones with lower PD to attack. I.e. you can adjust PD in threatened areas to set up ambushes.

Hope this helps.

-Gateway103
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Private

major^3 is on a distinguished road

kind of helps...
but does PD protect against random events like brigands and monsters from attacking your province? i was thinking in keepin the mobile army was to settle unrest and if it was worth it.
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by major^3:
kind of helps...
but does PD protect against random events like brigands and monsters from attacking your province? i was thinking in keepin the mobile army was to settle unrest and if it was worth it.
Yes, they do. Or at least they try. And more often than not, fail, especially against knights (stupid friggin' knights!), unless you've bought a nearly totally uneconomical quantity. It takes a lot of crappy units to stop a knight or vine ogre rush.
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Against brigands and other such rabble, usually yes. Against knights, not much helps. Knights are nasty. Vampires and trolls are no fun either.