.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old June 7th, 2004, 06:55 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Flowers for the grave of MoM.

Quote:
Originally posted by spirokeat:
I missed DoM 1, but nuff respect to the designers, DOM 2 has lived up to MoM in every way that a host of games have failed in. I only regret that you cant control battlefield combat. Though I can imagine the nightmares of coding that a good AI take.

I raise my glass to MoM.

Spirokeat
Cheers.

Of course I can't speak for the developers but IMHO the main problem with full control over the battlefiled in Dom2 would not be the difficulty of coding tactical AI, but that there is no way how to make such model work in MP Dom2 game. With gameturns by the end of the game taking so long as it is, it would be impossible to implement direct human control over the battles, a la AoW2 or MoM, in typical MP Dom2 game.

I would love to have such option in the SP games though. Perhaps in Dom3?...
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Corporal

Saarud is on a distinguished road

Wow you guys are talking about many of my absolute favorite games since the early 90´s.

Dom2 is the best game... PERIOD.

Mom I haven't actually played in a decade or so because my disc mysteriously disappeared. But beside the exploring I remember all the different races and how they differed from eachother they were as being the most interested part of the game for me.

EFS was great using loads of house rules not to exploit any of the many bugs. But I have to agree that it is one of the best PBeM games that I have ever played. If the turns would have been simoultaneus somehow it would probably be the best.

Chaos Overlords is still on my top 5 list of favorite games. This is another excellent MP game and I've had so much fun playing this against my friends. Usually we could finish a game in one session though by the end we were all rather drunk.

Another great game not mentioned yet is Sword of Aragon. This game has it all, well almost the replaybility is not the best since the story is the same every time. Also SoA is only SP no MP. But considering the age of the game I still value this game amongst the best.
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sheap is on a distinguished road

Ahh Emperor of the Fading Suns. What a great game - especially using the Nova mod which I do not any longer recall the URL for.

The only problem with EFS - and it is a debilitating one - is the insane level of micromanagement required. To play it competitively was almost like a full time job.

Also played Stars@!# and MoM - MoM had too many abuses and Stars!@# was also very high on the micromanagement. DOM2 seems to avoid the MM trap which will earn it a long life on my system I think
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Well, in fact I didn't even try, but EFS works like a charm indeed on my rig , I confused the tech problems with MOO I suppose

All the great mods are still around and Hyperion even had a new release in April !

Thinking about it there is much things in common between EFS and Dom : a great number and variety of units, all very detailed, with characteristics having a big impact on the unit performances, rich strategic choices (tech in EFS vs magic iN Dom), detailed combat system, great MP, modding ability...
But yes EFS is too much micromanagement heavy, where Dom2 is just on the good side of the borderline
Old June 7th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Corporal

Anglachel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PDF:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglachel:
quote:
Originally posted by FadingSuns:
MoM alone caused me to upgrade my computer. The animation for the nodes brought my 486 to a stuttering standstill. I loved the game enough to sink cash into a new system just to get that one part to run smoothly.
Dom2 might do the same for me now. I can run the battles smoothly with the 'world' hidden, but where's the fun with that? Lush battle graphics deserve to be seen!
MoM is still going to be #1 for me, at least until I start being able to stomp some races in Dom2. Gotta love the Myrror world!
Oh Wow! Your name just reminded me of a game that I really liked that I would love to find a copy of if there is one around. Empire of the Fading Sun. Flawed as it was, I loved that game and its flavor.
The mods -much better than the original- are also still floating around.
I still have everything installed, but have difficulty playing MoM and EoFS with my new Athlon2400xp rig - still in W98SE but my old mem settings with emm386 don't work anymore ...

Thanks for the heads up

[ June 07, 2004, 14:53: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
Old June 7th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Private

littlemute is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Saarud:

Chaos Overlords is still on my top 5 list of favorite games. This is another excellent MP game and I've had so much fun playing this against my friends. Usually we could finish a game in one session though by the end we were all rather drunk.

Wait a sec...I played this game eons ago and it was totally panned by reviewers, isn't that the one with the competing gangs in a city? I'm curious what's good about it?

EFS was fun but got SO BOGGED DOWN with the hex/counter style and the building. They should have used provinces like Genghis Khan 2 (or of course Dom2). Also the AI didn't protect it's nobles/voting staffs, so you could drop in and take their stuff, then you make yourself the commander of the imperial fleet and take down your rivals.

I have to say I liked Master of Orion better than Master of Magic.
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Corporal

Saarud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by littlemute:
quote:
Originally posted by Saarud:

Wait a sec...I played this game eons ago and it was totally panned by reviewers, isn't that the one with the competing gangs in a city? I'm curious what's good about it?
Never trust reviewers. I love Chaos Overlords just because the simplicity of the game mechanics yet you need to employ a skillfull strategy to win the game. AI is hard and does not cheat but it is playing MP this game really shines. My gaming group changed from Risk (The Boardgame) to Chaos Overlords once we understood how good it was playing MP.

The game is really more an empire building game than a gangster game. I think this might be one reason that reviwers panned it, they were expecting a game were you were dealing drugs and robbing banks and so on, instead they got a simple Empire building game with gangs as units.
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

Like dominions, CO had some very detailed units with their own background.

There was a gang called "Low Life Scum". Its picture was that of two heads sticking out of a pool of bile, one of them vomiting. Very disgusting
Old June 8th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Captain

sachmo is on a distinguished road

MOM:

Get Nature, and then Cracks.

Build a flying unit, and attack any number of land based creatures. Cast Cracks until land based units are dead.
Old June 8th, 2004, 05:23 PM

Corporal

FadingSuns is on a distinguished road

EotFS and MoM improved remarkibly when patched. They were good on their own, but a few patches really expanded their scope. Emperor was 100% less buggy and MoM was like a completely different game. Shows that when designers stick with their product the fans will stick with the company. Gotta love anything distributed by Shrapnel.
Voting in Emperor was one of the most ingenious twists I've seen in a game. Being forced to reward your enemies was brilliant. Stealing votes was fun too!
When I found that "Galactic Civilizations" had a voting model I bought the game. Wished I'd saved my money. Here is an example of reviewers loving an Empire building game with slick graphics... but nothing 'under the hood'. Lord knows I tried to love it, but it just didn't happen. Dom2 hooked me right away, spelling errors and all.