.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old May 11th, 2004, 08:11 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good game, but....the AI is very bad.

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo:
I hope my wife never reads this board. She might learn a new tactic to get attention.
LOL! Yep!

PvK
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MStavros:
I like the first one better, that way the AI will only use the national troops, and maybe it will build lot more forts, since the provinical militias will cost more than any other unit.
It sounds weird I know, but maybe the SP AI will be lot more challenging.
To at least test the concept quickly the first one would be easier. Leif or I could also write you a routine which populates a map on purpose with certain pop-types and leaving others out. Maybe making all the provinces have knights and longbows
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:27 PM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

[quote]Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
Quote:
To at least test the concept quickly the first one would be easier. Leif or I could also write you a routine which populates a map on purpose with certain pop-types and leaving others out. Maybe making all the provinces have knights and longbows
Actually, look at the DovregubbensHall.ran included with the DomScripts.zip for an example of a randomisation configuration that does just that (although mooseriders are much more fun than longbows).
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
quote:
Originally posted by proteus:
Hummm, are you a veteren player?? I am not, and I can beat the AI all the time easily, and I am not using any SCs etc. at all.
Its possible. Why dont you post the game parameters. What map? what AIs? what settings on resources and indept strength? What nation do you play?
Well proteus, I've been playing Dominions since several months before Dominions II came out, and I got Dominions II immediately after it was released.

As Gandalf suggests, and as I mentioned, the game setup, and the method of play, make a big difference. I tend to include plenty of AI's, and usually end up fighting one or more AI's within the first 20 turns, because they start out only a few provinces away. Or, in another game, I managed to spread out fairly well when I ended up having to fight three AI's at once (who were also fighting each other) and got down to about two or three provinces left before I made a comeback.

Anyway, difficulty depends a lot on the situation.

P.S. That is, it's essentially impossible to program an AI for a game like this that will be as challenging as a smart and experienced human player. However it is very possible to set up the situation (more AI's, AI difficulty level, do nothing for a few turns at game start, etc.), and/or to limit yourself from taking advantage of the AI by not over-using techniques that the AI doesn't, or not using techniques that exploit known AI limitations, or simply to think and play like a roleplayer rather than like a minimaxing munchkin). I haven't found it necessary to do more than include enough AI's to get some extremely satisfying, interesting, and challenging games, though.

PvK

[ May 11, 2004, 19:42: Message edited by: PvK ]
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:33 PM

BANNED USER

proteus is on a distinguished road

Thanks Gandalf! I downloaded those + the other new user made maps as well now!
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MStavros:
Hm, this will be a bit harder than I thought.
I still havent really gotten into MODs. Im having too much fun with MAPs. But I was thinking about it this morning.

Do you program in anything? It should be real easy to generate a text file which addresses each of the (1100?) units. Then with the help of a list of the units such as Ive seen elsewhere around here, you could just have the mod commands you want to use copied into the clipboard. Scroll thru the list and hit Ctrl-V to paste those at each number you want to mod.

If you cant generate a starter .dm of all the units then I can whip one off for you. Or you could download one of Leifs list such as the randomized one, and strip it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I really need a 'perfect' unit list, I was wondering already, that where to find one.

Also is there any lists for weapon 'IDs'?
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Not sure about a complete unit number list, but there is a weapon/armor list on the stickied mod thread on this forum.

PvK
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:03 PM

Private

delacroix is on a distinguished road

Stavros / Proteus, copy/paste the below text into notepad and save it as any filename xxxxxxx.dm Then put it into your dominions\mods directory and test it out if you wish. Don't forget to enable the mod in dominions under "preferences" / "mod settings".

It makes all Militia / Light Infantry cost 999 resources so the AI hasn't built any in my quick 25 turn test game. Met armies of Ulm which recruited pikemen + infantry of ulms + archers + sappers + siege engineers and had 4 Tribal cavalries recruited. Mictlan who had 2 100% national armies of about 30-50 units a piece. And only saw 1 vanheim army consisting of 20 hirdmen and 5 Van's.

Haven't even run into any independent High Infantry unit yet although I doubt the AI has enough resources in the independent provinces to make them at this point. But you can report the results of what the AI builds instead once the LI are no longer feasible. I think archers may end up being more frequent... but thats just a guess.

Complete unit list can be found in this thread :
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin...;f=74;t=002613

*** start of file, copy/paste everything below, don't include this line and save as filename.dm from notepad

#modname "high cost LI"
#description "makes all Militia & Light Infantry cost 999 resources"
#Version 1.0

#selectmonster 18
#rcost 999
#end

#selectmonster 28
#rcost 999
#end

#selectmonster 29
#rcost 999
#end

#selectmonster 30
#rcost 999
#end

#selectmonster 31
#rcost 999
#end

[ May 13, 2004, 18:57: Message edited by: delacroix ]
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

Okay thanks for your help!