This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old February 18th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

What I want? Partial maintenance. You do NOT have a fixed value for maint like you have now, you could select/slide the maint cost as a total or per resource for your entire starfleet, a single fleet, or a single ship even. Also, ships without maint shouldn't just explode. They should degrade. Comps without maint should first deteiorate in effectiveness (i.e. a Mineral Robo-Miner III would harvest less and less of itself) then get damaged, and ultimately be destroyed. Also, if you've got, say, an Assault Dreadnought with organic armor and mixed normal/organic weapons, and you're in a bit of a bind since your Org production is nearing rock bottom and your reserves will soon expire, you simply decrease the org maint cost for the ship. Sure, armor and some weapons will degrade and eventually will be destroyed, but you would spare a helluva lot of orgs that could be used to build colonizers to set out and colonize org-rich planets.
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Corporal

TheDeadlyShoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Mineral Robo-Miner III would harvest less and less of itself

AhhhHHHHhHHHH! They're harvesting the ship out from under us!
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Major General

?

I meant that the base amount of minerals harvested would grow to be less and less.
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Major General

Dudes... this thread is dying out.

Partial damage for Units, like with ships. Right now, in Capship, you can field 250kT Armies in ground combat, yet they will not take partial damage. That is at least somewhat unrealistic. Especially when you consider that an Army can consist of, say, an Artillery unit, two or three Heavy Armor units, several Mech Infantry units and a hell of a lot of infantry.

Roman Numerals for ship sizes.
What I mean by this is: You can upgrade ship hulls. Look in the attachment for details.

Ships that can land on planets. Would also add usefulness to sneaky ground attacks; say, a damaged Dreadnought lies motionless on the ground of a planet to be repaired while resting safely under a very strong shield. You (the DN's enemy) then ship a cloaked transport there with lots of troops. While it is still cloaked, you land it to avoid detection right up to the moment your troops exit the ship. Your troops step out of the transport, and start to make their way to the DN to destroy it before it can take off.
Taking off should also cost movement, supplies and perhaps cause damage (think torque: a small Scout of 100kT would have pretty little trouble rising from a planet as it is compact, but a 25MT COMCA would suffer terribly from torque effects. Also, non-reusable colony ships (i.e. CLs that you lose when you colonize, like the SEIV CLs - to avoid this you need to have Drop Pods, larger, more expensive comps that can carry less people and are destroyed after use, but saves you the trouble of building a whole new ship) could suffer from those effects as they descend. Imagine, you could lose you colony module and thus your population from the torque!
Attached Files
File Type: txt 333792-ship upgrades.txt (6.4 KB, 141 views)
Old February 21st, 2005, 02:21 PM

Private

Bobhouse is on a distinguished road

A clock. A little digital display up in the top right corner to tell me the time. Like in moo3(the only good part of the game). I like to know what wee our of the night i've played in too.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:02 AM

Private

iaen is on a distinguished road

I read in the chat transcripts that ship design is going to be like in starfury, dragging components onto a template. It would give some interesting options if you could have large components taking up several spaces. Huge cargobays, hangars with extra bonusses, maybe some of the stellar manipulation components too.

A problem would be the fact that the components on a ship aren't neccesarily aligned in a square grid. (The way the standard starfury ships are.) In starfury you can easily make a ship with a honeycomb style component layout.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:24 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

I would like to see:

Real "civil wars" - perhaps triggered by events, big time/long term intel actions, serious battle losses, or loss of the homeworld. It would be interesting to have more than just one planet rebel - I'd like to see groups of planets, or even half your empire, rebel and form an entirely new empire.

In the same vein, I would like to see the ability to gracefully add a player to a game - especially in the case of a civil war. Even if only a single planet rebels, it'd be nice to be able to add a player to that planet to give it a fighting change, add RP flavor, etc...It woudl also be neat to be able to add a player to take over an AI empire - so if someone wanted to join an in-progress game, then they could.

Thanks,
Alarik
(credit where credit is due: these were mentioned by a fellow player, and I suggested they post them, but they never did so I am going to post them becuase I think they are excellent ideas myself)
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Private

Hiruu is on a distinguished road

I would like to see some news on the game! I'm going thru a SERIOUS withdrawal for a great next gen 4X game...
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:11 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

I totally agree! Latest news was that the beta was coming in early April, with applications in March...

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
alarikf said:

In the same vein, I would like to see the ability to gracefully add a player to a game - especially in the case of a civil war. Even if only a single planet rebels
you can already do this in SE4. the game admin can check which races are controlled by AI and which by humans, after the game starts. if a planet revolts through happyness factors, PPP, or events, a new empire is created and you can assign this to player control.

The only limitation is the PBW server, which does not let you add players after the game starts. this is a limitation of PBW and not of SE4.