.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old February 17th, 2005, 12:21 PM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game Analysis

Oh well.
Looks like those 240 units finally broke throu this turn.

And no Ironhawk, there's nothing that can save the Mictlaners this game....besides an eternal stle by Pan. And that's worse than death!
-Yc
Old February 17th, 2005, 03:43 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Ok, wazooking. Do you want me to switch it right now? Or will you be able to turn today (friday)?
Old February 17th, 2005, 03:45 PM

General

The people of Arco are saddened to hear of the loss of our (more or less) peaceful blood-lovers to the east. It seems the forces of the nature-lovers have finally overwhelmed them.
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:50 PM

Corporal

Wazooking is on a distinguished road

Yes, please switch it. Thank you.
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:28 PM

General

I see that you just turned Wazooking. I'll switch it to untimed QH after Cohen turns. Let me know when you get back on tuesday.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:20 PM

Corporal

Wazooking is on a distinguished road

I am back in town now. Thanks.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:02 AM

General

Welcome back Wazooking. We are now back on 24 hour QH.
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:46 AM

General

Default Rules Violation

First of all I want to congratulate Cohen on the innovative defense of his capital, Marignon. His use of fire-resistant units reduced my offensive power significantly. Unfortunately, I believe it was an excess of battle mages beyond the house rule limit which really turned this very close battle in his favor. His defending force of ~230 units should have made only 9 mages available for his use to defend the fort. But, none of his 21 mages retreated, instead choosing to cast both Holy Pyres and SoCs in abundance.

This kind of situation is exactly why I made the decision that we needed to enforce the house rules even during sieges. My original example of arco mages defaulting to casting Mind Burn (which i have quoted below) was put to shame when I saw all my troops being immolated by Holy Pyres and Fire Clouds.

So, can everyone please take a moment and check all your mages to make sure they are set to Retreat unless they have enough troops? Particularly you, Cohen: I don't expect to be facing more than a handful of mages when I re-storm.

Additionally, while most of my losses in this battle were exceptionally annoying - but replaceable - the loss of Pathos, my hero was not. It's my feeling that his loss was a direct result of the rules violation and I feel entitled to some kind of compensation.

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
I've put some thought into the "Researching Mages" house rule problem and I think msew's option is the only way to go. Cohen's suggestion is really nice cause you dont have to go through and set all your mages to Retreat, which is kind of tiresome. But the truth is that you cannot be 100% sure that unscripted mages will not cast important spells.

For example, if someone tried to attack a research center of my Arco Mystics they might be up against 10-15 of them. And I feel very sure that the first spell the AI would pick would be Mind Burn or something like that. 10-15 of those a turn would be a significant force on the battlefield. Not to mention my priestesses all casting Protection on my troops and continual SoCs.

So, unless someone can come up with a third option then we just have to set all mages to retreat. I suggest that you bind Retreat as a scripted order and just assign it to every new mage you recruit as they arrive.

As msew pointed out this decision has serious consequences. Even more than a normal game, you DO NOT want your research centers being stormed. :} Fill them up with skellies or vine men or something. Also, to address the point of fleeing from Forts: I believe that the fort type does not affect whether or not you can flee. So if you have a fort and Retreat from a Storm attempt you can still escape so long as there is a province to flee to.
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:16 AM

Captain

Cohen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rules Violation

Sorry I misunderstood, I read somewhere in capitol province mages can all defend the castle.
- The Enemy of the SC and all the overpowered and unbalanced things.
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:36 AM

Corporal

msew is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rules Violation

Well cohen's empire seems to be dead. Or will be dead.

So maybe he gives arco all of his gems and magic items? Well actually, how much stuff do you have left?

I always found it odd that when you kill a nation that you did not get their stores of loot.