War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 16th, 2005, 02:02 PM

First Lieutenant

spoon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another odd gameplay problem

Quote:
Silent Sorrow said:
Normally when you move units you get a turn counter that shows the route your ship is taking and how many turns it will take to get there.

Nothing shows for me.

I have this same problem on my work computer. On my home computer, the Ship Route lines show up fine. If I try the same turn on my work computer, I get nothing. Weird.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

Yeah. That IS weird. Must be a graphics-card thing.

Edit: I mean a "the way the game interfaces with your graphics card" thing.

Edit-2: Nevermind. See next.

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:08 PM

First Lieutenant

Though, upon further research... it looks like the Show Movement Lines option was somehow toggled to off on my work computer (through mysterious means... I suspect foul play on behalf of one of my desperate enemies).

Or I'm just delusionally paranoid...
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

LMAO!... or you're just a dork!

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:22 PM

First Lieutenant

Well, there's no denying that...
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:11 PM

Corporal

ToddT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Silent Sorrow said:
I'm the guy who has been having strange crash and install problems with SEIV and TDM. After a reinstall and using the rar version of the TDM file I have yet to encounter a gameplay crash.

But I forgot about one other issue that remains even with the re-install. Normally when you move units you get a turn counter that shows the route your ship is taking and how many turns it will take to get there.

Nothing shows for me.

I checked the empire options but nothing there seems to affect it.

Any idea why my route/turn counter doesn't show up? (Ships move normally other than that.)

Finally, I often get a 1-2 second delay in selecting items in the event list and other places in the GUI. I never used to get this problem before. It's not a game breaker but I can't imagine what's causing it.
when installing the game the default for the route lines is disabled. As mentioned else where its in the game options, not the empire options, that one got me when i reinstalled seiv 1.91.
As for the sluggishness, i can only guess, i used t have that problem with large games on my P166 (it was drag, try retrofitting about 2 dozen ships when the check boxes don't respond till about the fifth ship down).
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

parabolize is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Grandpa Kim said:
You can toggle the ship movement lines in the Game Menu (F2), Options. I've found that sometimes the movement lines don't show. This seems to happen early in the game and usually occurs in only one or two systems. I don't know why.
Happens to me a lot. If I order the ship to warp though all the warp points along the way the line shows up. Very annoying fix but a fix none the less.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:57 AM

Sergeant

EaX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Silent Sorrow said:
Finally, I often get a 1-2 second delay in selecting items in the event list and other places in the GUI. I never used to get this problem before. It's not a game breaker but I can't imagine what's causing it.

I've the 1-2 second delay problem too (not always, sometimes), i don't know why it does happens, but i guess it may be happening because of low ram, too many programs running.... a large maps, and many more things, who knows...

You think is such three dimensional way, how small have you become - Borg Queen.

Whatever that thing was the Shivans got one less of them now - S.O.C. Freespace 2

We're the borg, lower your shields and surrender your ships, we will add your technological and biological distintiveness to our own your race will adapt to serve us, resistant is futile.
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:03 PM

Corporal

Silent Sorrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ToddT said:
when installing the game the default for the route lines is disabled. As mentioned else where its in the game options, not the empire options, that one got me when i reinstalled seiv 1.91.
As for the sluggishness, i can only guess, i used t have that problem with large games on my P166 (it was drag, try retrofitting about 2 dozen ships when the check boxes don't respond till about the fifth ship down).
Ah, GAME OPTIONS. Sigh. I could have sworn I checked that. While I was at it I turned off music and sound options. I suspect that the slowdowns had something to do with those being turned on but not having the CD in the comp. So far, I haven't noticed the slowdowns.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, SEIV slows down tremendously if music is enabled and there is no audio CD in the drive (any audio CD or combined data/audio CD like SEIV CD will do). Sounds are played off of the local hard drive, however. Leaving them on doens't cause any slowdown that I am aware of.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.