War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:18 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road
Default Three possible bugs

Hi,

been doing some playtesting recently and I discovered what might be bugs.

When area-firing at range 1 a unit loses not just the regular shot but three more (so it goes from 6 to 2). Note that this is without any suppression inflicted on the firing unit (due to splash) or anything else that reduces it's shots.

A pinned unit occupying its hex which is a VH gets an enemy visitor in the hex. The flag changes nationality to the visitors whose unit gets wiped out that same turn. The flag stays in ownership of the visitors side even when the original (pinned) unit reverts to ready status and stays ready for 2 turns and never leaves the hex nor do new visitors appear. It seems the hex needs to be re-entered for the flag to be reacquired.

It seems it is possible to area-fire through more than just 1 row of tree hexes. I'm not sure how many you can fire through but sofar it looks like it might be 'unlimited' (although other factors in wooded hexes like elevations can still block fire). I have fired through a whole bunch of trees already (didn't count them, sorry).

Narwan
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:09 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Three possible bugs

Quote:
narwan said:
Hi,

been doing some playtesting recently and I discovered what might be bugs.

When area-firing at range 1 a unit loses not just the regular shot but three more (so it goes from 6 to 2). Note that this is without any suppression inflicted on the firing unit (due to splash) or anything else that reduces it's shots.

That may well be a bug - Z key fire at something at 1 hex, right, not direct fire HE?

Quote:

A pinned unit occupying its hex which is a VH gets an enemy visitor in the hex. The flag changes nationality to the visitors whose unit gets wiped out that same turn. The flag stays in ownership of the visitors side even when the original (pinned) unit reverts to ready status and stays ready for 2 turns and never leaves the hex nor do new visitors appear. It seems the hex needs to be re-entered for the flag to be reacquired.

Not a bug - a V-hex is triggered by the entering of a unit in OK status from an adjacent hex. (Unloading from a helo does not count). That's the way it has always been.

Quote:

It seems it is possible to area-fire through more than just 1 row of tree hexes. I'm not sure how many you can fire through but sofar it looks like it might be 'unlimited' (although other factors in wooded hexes like elevations can still block fire). I have fired through a whole bunch of trees already (didn't count them, sorry).

Narwan
Scatter ignores any blocking terrain. If it decides to scatter 3 hexes, it scatters 3 hexes. Anything else would need nasty horrible additional internal scatter-LOS code, and a system based on realistic weapon types (there is no WC_MORTAR or WC_LMG etc) for starters, as a mortar will happily scatter, but direct fire weapons have other LOS issues with scatter in reality. And that is basically a complete rewrite of the game code from the ground up.

Cheers
Andy
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:54 PM

Captain

The first was indeed Z key area fire, not direct fire.

The third was NOT due to scatter. Woods do not seem to block when AIMING the area fire.

Narwan
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:30 PM

Private

Stirling is on a distinguished road

Tested a little:

An M1A2 started with 4 shots and used them all zfiring 1 hex. Over 1 hex it used just one. It could zfire through 6 hexes of trees

An M2A2 started with 6 shots and used 2 each adjacent zfire. Over 1 hex it used just one. It could zfire through 5 hexes of trees.

I rarely use zfire, so I can't say if this is normal or not.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:58 PM

Captain

My Z-fire was all with infantry type units, those used up 4 shots for 1 round of 1-hex area fire.

Are you sure there was no elevation difference restricting the 'LOS' through to the woods to those distances? Note that some 'normal' elevation terrain can go up as high as 4 feet which won't show as an actual elevation level increase but will restrict LOS.

Narwan
Old November 4th, 2005, 01:52 AM

Private

Stirling is on a distinguished road

In adjacent zfire it appears that each weapon slot uses a shot. Non-adjacent usually uses one shot total.

Hex ranges weren't entirely consistent due to elevation differences, as you point out. Infantry could zfire 4-6 hexes in my test. Vehicles varied from 5-8.

Like I say, I don't know what normal behavior is.
Old November 4th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

I confirm what Narwan mentioned, but I am not sure if this is connected with the range of attack.
I have experienced something similar when Z-firing from a Gunship.

cheers,
Pyros