This Month's Specials

winSPWW2- Save $5.00
World Supremacy- Save $10.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 21st, 2005, 03:51 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: New PC!

Since this has become a general tech thread, I've got a question about RAM.

I'm looking to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB. The question is, do I need to buy the extra Gig from the same manufacturer or is RAM compatible across manufacturers? As it is, I could end up with 2x512 from one manufacturer, and 2x512 from another...would this work fine?

Another separate yet related question; is there any way to determine the manufacturer of a particular component without physically cracking open the case and checking the labels? I have the idea there is a way and spent a while poking around the various device managers, but couldn't seem to find it. If anyone knows, please help!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:03 AM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

Dunno if it was suggested or not, but get a 10,000 RPM SATA hard drive, the WD Raptors at 74 gb are great.
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:24 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Renegade 13 said:
I'm looking to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB. The question is, do I need to buy the extra Gig from the same manufacturer or is RAM compatible across manufacturers? As it is, I could end up with 2x512 from one manufacturer, and 2x512 from another...would this work fine?

As far as I know, RAM is RAM is RAM. It shouldn't matter who made each chip, unless it is some shoddy Chinese junk manufacturer... Just make sure to get them all the same clock frequency, since the motherboard will run all RAM at the frequency of the lowest chip.

Another separate yet related question; is there any way to determine the manufacturer of a particular component without physically cracking open the case and checking the labels? I have the idea there is a way and spent a while poking around the various device managers, but couldn't seem to find it. If anyone knows, please help!

Device manager is not always helpful, especially if you have components using generic drivers. Try Belarc Advisor, which I believe reads all the identification bits for each piece of hardware, as well as driver info:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old December 21st, 2005, 06:05 AM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

And, it may seem obvious to us Techmonkeys but i've seen it happen, make sure you have enough DIMM slots to place 4 sticks of RAM in.
Old December 21st, 2005, 11:20 AM

General

Thanks Fyron! That's pretty much what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

RD: Wouldn't that be the first thing one would confirm before thinking about an upgrade!?!?

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:15 AM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Speaking of RAM, does anyone have any suggestions for a good mix of performance & price? I'm looking at some nice Corsair stuff, but it's about eur250 for 1GB, and I want 2GB, but don't really want to spend eur500 on RAM.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:28 AM

General

250 Euro's!?! Is it gold plated and encrusted with diamonds?!? There's really no need that I can see to spend anywhere near that much on a Gig of RAM. Something a little lower down the price spectrum should still do you just fine. Then again I'm not horribly knowledgable, so you'll probably want some better opinions than mine.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road

What kind of ram are you looking to get. DDR PC2700?

Think about it
Old December 23rd, 2005, 06:37 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

DDR PC3200, if memory serves. Had a lovely spreadsheet done up but left it at work, and won't be able to get it back until the 3rd. Would PC2700 do fine for a system geared primarily towards gaming?
Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:04 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Heh...

It probably depends completely on the game. Some FPS games might need every little thing to be as fast as it possibly can be in order to perform best. Others might only need enough memory to keep from having to use disk swapping.