This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 20th, 2006, 03:42 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default Access Violation During Turn Processing

I'm playing a 200 system TDM game against 7 AI's, difficulty/bonus at high. Don't know if that makes a difference with regards to this access violation, but thought I'd put the info in there regardless.

Anyways, about 100 turns in, during the turn processing for the Tessellate, up pops the little window saying "Access violation at address [8 random numbers/letters] in module 'se4.exe'. Read of address [seemingly random series of 8 numbers/letters].

Since I save the game at the end of every turn (luckily!) I simply reloaded to that savegame, processed the turn again and everything worked just fine. Then it occurred again, different series of numbers/letters, about 20 turns later, this time with (I think) the United Flora. Again loaded to that turn, processed, and everything worked. However, both times this happened I had to Alt-Ctrl-Del and kill the SE4 process, then restart.

This isn't a major issue by any means, but it is rather annoying when turn processing is taking ~4 minutes per turn, losing all that processing time. I doubt there is anything that can be done about it, but if someone could give some insight as to the cause, it would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:52 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Access Violation During Turn Processing

Is there combat occuring during the turns in question?
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Corporal

psimancer is on a distinguished road

only four minutes a turn man your lucky i've taken over a game on pbw and we have tomanually process turns and each turn run time is 45 to 70 minutes

as far as the cause is this like 8e or such

my suggestion based on a hunch is that the processing has gotten so big that its exceeding the currently avail memory (lots of prorams in use and or were inb use
also xp not real good like some op sys at recognizing program end and cleaning memory allocation
tend to leave a lot of mem marked in use for closed programs

if i knew of something better i 'd reccommend it but get spybot then go to veloci.com foor velociware and get rammedic might solve the problem
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM

General

Quote:
Captain Kwok said:
Is there combat occuring during the turns in question?
It's quite possible, however it would have to be combat between AI's, not between an AI and me.
Quote:
psimancer said:
only four minutes a turn man your lucky i've taken over a game on pbw and we have tomanually process turns and each turn run time is 45 to 70 minutes

as far as the cause is this like 8e or such

my suggestion based on a hunch is that the processing has gotten so big that its exceeding the currently avail memory (lots of prorams in use and or were inb use
also xp not real good like some op sys at recognizing program end and cleaning memory allocation
tend to leave a lot of mem marked in use for closed programs

if i knew of something better i 'd reccommend it but get spybot then go to veloci.com foor velociware and get rammedic might solve the problem.
Your 45 to 70 minute game wouldn't happen to be TGE3 would it??

"as far as the cause is this like 8e or such" I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this

I doubt the problem is lack of memory, since I have 2GB of RAM and plenty virtual memory. Rarely is more than 500MB of the RAM in use at any one time. Also I have barely any background programs in use, and already have a RAM "cleaner" But thanks for the suggestions!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

I think it's just one of those random and rare situations that can't be duplicated but happen from time to time when something weird happens in combat.
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:04 PM

General

Quote:
Captain Kwok said:
I think it's just one of those random and rare situations that can't be duplicated but happen from time to time when something weird happens in combat.
That's what I suspected. Just wanted to be sure .

Old June 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem from time to time in large games.
As in your case if you reprocess the turn everything is fine.
Therefore I did not send the savegame to MM because he wouldn't be able to reproduce the crash.