baggypants is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quad AA. *DELETED*

Post deleted by baggypants
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quad AA.

Howdy

Actually I dont think its touchy I just think that as it doesnt have quick change barrel or water cooling then there is a very real possibility that the barrel can become overheated making the gun useless. To avoid this the gun comes with the recomended ROF of 40 rpm
Now ignoring the AA stuff for a moment and lets look at the tripod ground mount. lets compare it to the .30 cal both have the same cyclic ROF 550. The 30 cal has accurracy of 20 kill of 5 while the 50 cal has 23 11.
Now the 30 cal has a sustained or practical ROF of 150 rpm and the 50 cal has a sustained or practical ROF of 40
So after a few turns when the honeymoon is over the 50 cal barrel has warmed up and now has to run at the recomended 40 rpm. The .30 cal however can continue to fire at 150 rpm for the entire game so its firing nearly 4 times as many bullets as the 50 cal. Now if accurracy and kill values incorporate ROF then I think the 50 cals values are two high. Untill someone tell us how accurracy and kill values are worked out though I cant be sure.

Now my argument depends on 50 cal barrels not being swapped out. And that is true because no spare barrels are issued.

I doubt very much if much heat from the barrel gets into the receiver(gun) only a very small proportion of the barrel in in contact with the gun maybe 1 percent? and the barrel is going to lose heat to the air quicker than to a lump of metal anyway.
pouring water on the barrel would seem to be a good way to warp the barrel and again I dont think this would be particularily effective as the steam is going to block your sight give away your position and all the water on the deck might annoy the loaders.
You have a point regarding cover I hadnt thought of that. might be worth 1 point of Kill I guess.
if your infantry carriers are bradleys then we are in the wrong game, I would put good money on no spare barrels being carried during ww2 they may be by now as the current version of the gun does now have a quick change barrel.
I see the higher RPM is just the higher end of the cyclic ROF, fair enough. We have already established that for a burst of 20 or less rounds both AA quads put up the same number of rounds.
For the hispano vs mg-151 750 ROF is for the individual weapons.
I think the gunner will track the target and keep the trigger pressed irrespective of what the loaders are doing. so I think AA weapons are comparable in this. If the BAR gunner has to change the mag himself he has a problem.
Best Regards Chuck
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Corporal

baggypants is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quad AA. *DELETED*

Post deleted by baggypants
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:47 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quad AA.

Hi BaggyPants
I know they didnt have spare barrels because if they did then they would have been used and this would have given the 50 cal the same practical ROF as the 30 cal which it hasnt(40 vs 150 rpm). (not forgetting both have the same cyclic ROF) the 50 cals low practical ROF is proof they didnt swap out the barrel.

But the Low ROF didnt matter, because on the ground tripod mount it wasnt used as the coy sustained fire MG this was the 30 cals job. It used as a heavy punching automatic cannon.
On a tank turret it was simply decoration, there were no planes to shoot at and the british ditched them as impractical. It makes a passable AA quad mount as the engagement time is low but when the 50 quad is shooting at ground targets, the 20 mm outclasses it because of its higher practical ROF.
Best Chuck