winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:25 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Battlestar Galactica Final Season

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Let me get this strait now, you don't like cowboys in space, but you do like a phone booth time traveler?
It's a bit more complicated than that, on both sides I admit, but yes. Then again I'm not exactly known for having a mainstream line of thought. It's why they give me the government regulated drugs
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I thought TV was a government regulated drug? That is why I tend to stay away from it whenever possible.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM

Major General

I liked Space above and beyond. Pity it went out with such a SNAFU. But as Narf can tell you I hold little sympathy for aliens, even if they are guarding some sort of nest planet.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:47 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

Some clarification: BSG is ending after season 4 because the writers/producers of the show knew that the story needed only one or two seasons to finish when season 3 ended, and after working on season 4 a bit more, realized that it is closer to 1 than 2. If they stretched it out longer, it would become pretty crappy. See Stargate after season 7 (when the amount of crap they made up to keep the story going caught up to the writers), or Babylon 5 season 5 (where most of the story that would have been there was stuffed into season 4 because everyone thought it would be the last season).

Heroes is good. I... ahem... borrowed the episodes from... many anonymous friends. I doubt if Kring et. al. can keep it going for more than three or four seasons though.

Other than that, I haven't had much to do with TV in a long time. Whatever is there and worth watching I can usually just wait for the DVD, and skip all the ads and waiting a week or more between episodes.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM

Major General

I've said enough without voicing my opinions, good or bad, about B5, however I feel I must explain something I find ironically funny.

At some point Sheridan leads a fleet of aliens to attack Earth (I won't go into my views on THAT). Ivanova is lying injured or something back at B5. Malcolm, or what's his name, the Ranger guy, is in love with Ivanova so he goes back to B5 and uses an alien device to heal her, killing himself in the process. I find this humorously ironic, if that is indeed the right description. Ivanova is healed but the actress decides not to come back for the next season. Ha, I'm sorry I mean hahahaha. They kill off a character I actually quite liked to save one of the main characters and that character isn't even in the show after that. mwuhahaha. It makes me laugh just explaining it.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

To Will,

Basically what they are saying is that they know they have written themselves out of a job. They took the wrong path with the stories they elected to use and that path lead to lower over all ratings, a dwindling fan base, and a fast track to cancellation. While Sci-Fi channel never came out and said it, the buzz has been quite firm about what they intended to do. While we get to enjoy another 22 episodes of what was one of the best sci-fi shows on the air, many of us will be relieved when the story is finally told. I am sure there will be mini-series and such in the future for the show unless they write themselves into a complete corner.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:21 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

They never meant for it to be a long drawn out series, but for one with a definite beginning, middle, and end planned out. Granted, seasons two and three had a lot of mediocre exposition in it, and the series probably would have been better if it was a three-part series plus the intro miniseries. I don't think there was anything that could have been done to extend the story any farther, though. Unless you want even more mediocre crap filling in between the character development and main plot points.

Besides, after revealing four of the final five this past season, there ain't much they can do to top that. If that ain't jumping the shark, I don't know what is.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:14 AM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

I think it's good they are ending BSg now, because in all reality, the show's story was rushed in many aspects. Season one didn't finish wrapping up until just before Pegasus and Pegasus should've had her own story arc with galactica for season 2 and part of 3. But they rushed it and eventually destroyed pegasus in the name of the cylon set. New Caprica's rise and fall and exodus could've been handled differently and better than a meaningless iraq/vichy france allegory. And the mess that was season 3.. Let's say a lot of work was needed.

I know it wasn't meant to be a drawn out show, but I think they could've spent more time of a longer arc for different themes of the show.

However, it ending now is better for the series, because it will be revisited again and again.

As for other shows, I personally enjoy Heroes. It's got a wide variety of characters and stories. I also like Kring's plan for the series which is basically that every season will showcase a different cast of characters with a different plot. Naturally, the fan favorites will show up. Characters like sylar, hiro, and such but the show will be different each season. unlike 24 which has played the same song for 6 seasons.

Space Above and Beyond. Yawn. Why do we need to fight space Nazis again and again and again. I thought WW2 was over.

Firefly was a great show. It and a few others brought scifi TV into it's current incarnation and while few will give it that credit, I think history will smile upon it in 10 years and give it a great restart.

I could never get into Lost. plus the show lost all credibility when they started introducing people on the island who were there the whole time. The show went Gillian after that point for me.

Now 4400, Lost, Surface, Threshold, Invasion, etc. I couldn't stand any of them for too long. Threshold I refused to watch simply because that pervert Brannon Braga created it (as far as I'm concerned - he killed trek). The rest came off as trying to pull the x-files effect.

Doctor Who, I grew up watching it in reruns and thought it was the most retarded thing I ever saw, but it was a fun romp. The new series with chris eccelson (misspelled) was a lot of fun and the doctor after him is okay, but the series is still fun. I look forward to their spinoff Torchwood.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM

Corporal

Tim_Ward is on a distinguished road

I can catagorically state that Torchwood is awful.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:07 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys really should consider Lost. In my opinion its pretty much the best series i have seen, apart from Babylon 5. The "Others" being there the entire time makes sense, if you watch further that is.