War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old May 21st, 2007, 06:22 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Icons and lbms

Quote:
DU warheads do not support higher velocities. At least yet. Thatīs why the L55 was abandoned by the US army as a upgrade. Tungsten penetrators can use the potential of higher velocities, but current DU is stuck in 1500-1700 m/s. Thatīs why the latest US DU penetrator is heavier and goes slower.
Not 100% sure about your reasoning here. As a matter of course Uranium is heavier than Tungsten, so DU rounds are heavier than Tungsten rounds for the same length/caliber values. So for the same initial energy (same propellant, same gun, same sabot, same temperature/pressure/whatever) a DU round will simply have lower velocity due to higher mass (kinetic energy being related to mass and square velocity and all that).
Now I don't see why DU rods wouldn't support higher velocities per se. Modern US APFSDS rounds appear to be particularly thin and long compared to equivalents (21mm for the M829E3 vs 27mm for the DM53), and this may give them a disadvantage in withholding the pressures in longer guns (though is is apparently an advantage once on target).
The French OFL-120F2, which is believed to be largely similar to the German DM-43, is DU-based and still slated with an initial velocity of 1740m/s in the Leclerc's L52 gun.
As I said, this may be due to the European rounds being substantially thicker than their US counterparts, but probably not to some intrinsic DU property.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:42 PM

Sergeant

pdoktar is on a distinguished road

Well check out tanknet for such reasonings. Theres been some discussion about it. However I donīt remember the exact thread, but have a strong recollection that DU does not benefit from hyper-velocities above some limit of maybe 1700m/s - 2000m/s.

Try this one:

http://63.99.108.76/forums/index.php?showtopic=18511

The problem with MarkSheppards thing of just increasing the velocity of M829A3 by 30% means that itīll travel somewhere over 2000m/s that is a problem, what Iīve read from the tanknet. However, if they chance the round to a heavier one with less velocity, is OK reasoning.

And I know that everything on internet is not true. But lets face it where do you have better conversation of such things than tanknet. Thereīs got to be a point somewhere, if everybody seems to agree..?
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:58 PM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

"However I donīt remember the exact thread, but have a strong recollection that DU does not benefit from hyper-velocities above some limit of maybe 1700m/s - 2000m/s."

IIRC tungsten was supposed to outperform DU, but only at extremely high velocities. These are my vague recollections anyway.
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:14 PM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

OK, if there's one internet source I tend to trust on these subjects, Tanknet is the one. Don't take offense from what I said, I just wanted to confront your info with my own data and the low-brow calculation I can come up with.

After reading the whole thread I get a better idea of what you meant: apparently DU loses its edge over tungsten in the higher velocity range (from 1700-1800m/s upwards). I have no doubt better alloys of both metals could be (or already have been) developped to withstand ETC-like MVs.
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Private

Spike11 is on a distinguished road

Actually, tungsten is slightly heavier than uranium. Their respective densities are 19.26 g/cm3 and 19.05 g/cm3. According to a Norwegian science site (and my memory from science class )...
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Corporal

Djuice is on a distinguished road

Tungsten Heavy Alloy (WHA) is usually rated @ 17.0-17.8 g/cm3 compared to Deplete Uranium @ rough 18.0-18.5 g/cm3.