This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 12th, 2007, 10:33 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Balance Mod

Speaking of quirks like that, I researched Warheads, Mines, and Weapon Destroying Weapons to level 1, and got Tachyon Warheads... but the warheads' requirements description say they require level 6 Warheads!

edit: oh, also, I noticed the Weapons Disruptor can target planets... while that's pretty cool, isn't that a bit overpowered - a single frigate can disarm an entire planet's worth of weapons platforms???
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

Kwok, I found a small bug in your BM 1.11 AI politics script regarding the AI team mode:
The instruction to propose a treaty and not to break a treaty in the team mode are not at the end of the corresponding script section. Therefore it is possible that a script instruction that follows later still makes the AI to break a treaty in the team mode, which is exactly what I observed.
I moved your AI team mode instruction at the end of the section and after two turns all AI were united in treaties.
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Thanks Q. I did catch this and a couple of other items when adding in the new alliance revisions. I've also made a few other changes that modify diplomacy based on a new "target priority" setting I've added. Each AI now assigns a priority to other empires or alliance, based on political status, proximity to each other, and relative empire strength. The typical result is that an AI will either target weaker players that are nearby or stronger players that is has poor relations with. Players of approximately equal strength and moderate relations are kept at the status quo. The general goal is to focus the AI's aggression against fewer empires at a time.

---

Baron, thanks for the catch. I've also put in the defense bonuses for seekers from the "Defense Systems" tech area for v1.12. I didn't tie in armor for damage resistance though, since not every race will go through the standard armor tech area.
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:06 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Captain Kwok said:

Baron, thanks for the catch. I've also put in the defense bonuses for seekers from the "Defense Systems" tech area for v1.12. I didn't tie in armor for damage resistance though, since not every race will go through the standard armor tech area.
Yeah, Organic Weapons need to be tied to Organic Technology because that is what increases the damage resistance of Organic Armor, and Crystalline Weapons (erm, the Crystalline Torpedo. Is there another seeker in that racial tech? ) need to be linked to Crystalline Technology because that is what increases Crystalline Armor.

Capital Ship Missile, Plasma Missile, Ionic Pulse Missile, and even the Alloy Burner Missile make perfect sense having seeker damage resistance linked to armor tech. The Anti-Matter, Quantum, and Gamma Pulse Torpedoes are normal techs and also make sense linked to armor.
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:06 PM

Too late, I already caved and did more or less that.
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

But more or less that is not that. It is, by definition, something other than that, thus being other than that. And if it's other than that, then it's something else, that is what it is. And since it is that and not that, as you can clearly see, that does not equal that, that you see. So if that does not equal that, then that is this which does not equal that, so that equals this. And since this is equal to that, then that is equal to this and thus, this is equal to this, which is equal to that, so therefore this and that are the same, but that is a different matter entirely. But if this is always this and that is this, that is therefore also the that that is this, unless it is not that, in which case it may be this. So you see, it's all a matter of this and that.

(If I've written that right, it is, in fact, completely parseable This was, after all, my intent, that it was. )
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old November 18th, 2007, 04:04 AM

Colonel

Some more observations in BM 1.11:

The AI builds huge numbers of remote mining/farming/refining ships and sends them alone to enemy systems, which is suicidal.
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM

I'd like to finish up v1.12 for next weekend, so post all your BM quirks, typos, bugs etc. you can recall!
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Colonel

I have reported earlier that stellar manipulation is researched very early and to high levels. It might have been a consequence of the ancient racial trait: if the AI sees no more warp points to unknown systems, he believes he is disconnected and researches stellar manipulation with highest priority. It might also be a problem in later games using the AI team mode when all systems are seen by all AI players. I don't know, if you have a script call like "all systems seen" that would prevent this.
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Corporal

Tim_Ward is on a distinguished road

Dunno if you got this one: the AI actually builds fast numbers of freighter style ships fullstop. Not just remote miners - mine layers, repair ships, troop ships, supply ships. It is hardly uncommon to see a ship with, say, 6 freighters and two warships.