.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 9th, 2010, 03:08 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod that disables all recruitable units - All Commander/Summons/PD Mod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
It would be difficult to create a commanders-only game.
No it wouldn't. Like I said.
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM

Sergeant

Atreidi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod that disables all recruitable units - All Commander/Summons/PD Mod...

Quote:

That brings two possible game formats to mind. A chessboard version with each side having matching pieces of specialized abilities. Or (more my style) a game where each gets a random collection to have to work with.
I like both! I am too lazy to mod it though.
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Have you played any of my Chaos games?
http://www.dom3minions.com/HostedGames.htm
You can play one solo if you want to try it out. Not that its what you want, but it will give you an idea of what can be done since it mixes up everything in the game as units or commanders. Thats all done by map commands without modding.

If you wanted it to be IMPOSSIBLE to make units then that would probably have to be a mod. Im not sure how much work would be involved. Sombre is more the guru there. But even then there would be things like events dropping them in to the game. It might work if it was done on a small duelling map, or the Battle Sim map, or Arena map.
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have you played any of my Chaos games?
http://www.dom3minions.com/HostedGames.htm
No, and I'm wondering why you are advertising them in a thread where they clearly are offtopic?
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

My apologies. I definitely did not mean to advertise.
I guess I could have just pointed him to an example game in a PM
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Atreidi,

No one really gave you a road map to what you are wanting to do. It would take a lot of work but it would basically work like this:

You would need to select and clear the nations and add the commanders back:

#selectnation 1
#clearrec
#addreccom 1
etc...
(You would also need to modify the starting magic sites if they allow production of non-commanders. This can be done by overwriting the site's slots or by making a new site with a similar name giving it the attributes you desire)

You would also need to identify the commanders that spawn units and redo their abilities using mod commands.

Then you would need to modify the map file and change the populations for the provinces to an erroneous number. If you want to keep the commanders for the provinces, you could create magic sites that allow recruitment of the commanders and place them in provinces manually in the map file.

That should meet the requirements you are looking for, unless you want to eliminate summoned non-commanders as well. That would be a simple matter of selecting spells that produce non-commanders and disabling them through mod commands.

After all this, you will still get units from militia events or access to them through mercenaries. Also, random events would still spawn barbarian hordes etc.
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:21 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

He didn't specify a problem with units turning up via other means, he just wanted to get rid of recruitables.

He doesn't need to modify a map file to remove poptype recruiting options. Just set them all to redonkulous resource costs.

The reason he didn't get a roadmap before is because the solution is really just to have a mp game that specifies you can't recruit units, only commanders.
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He didn't specify a problem with units turning up via other means, he just wanted to get rid of recruitables.
Really, what is your point here besides being your usual bitter self?

Quote:
He doesn't need to modify a map file to remove poptype recruiting options. Just set them all to redonkulous resource costs.
The AI will still try to build those units. I believe the commander will take precedence every turn even if he has 50 units queued up in the castle from it costing too much to build, but I am not sure. Are you sure? Because if you are not, and you are wrong, it will create the same situation the better independents mod creates where the AI queues the units up and is never able to build them.

Quote:
The reason he didn't get a roadmap before is because the solution is really just to have a mp game that specifies you can't recruit units, only commanders.
I didn't see where he said this was for MP. If he said it in another thread, it is not my place to go search for it. If he said in this thread, then I apologize for overlooking it. If he didn't say it, and you are just assuming it, then it is not your place to correct me, it is his place.
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:06 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
Atreidi,

No one really gave you a road map to what you are wanting to do. It would take a lot of work but it would basically work like this:

You would need to select and clear the nations and add the commanders back:

#selectnation 1
#clearrec
#addreccom 1
etc...
(You would also need to modify the starting magic sites if they allow production of non-commanders. This can be done by overwriting the site's slots or by making a new site with a similar name giving it the attributes you desire)

You would also need to identify the commanders that spawn units and redo their abilities using mod commands.

Then you would need to modify the map file and change the populations for the provinces to an erroneous number. If you want to keep the commanders for the provinces, you could create magic sites that allow recruitment of the commanders and place them in provinces manually in the map file.

That should meet the requirements you are looking for, unless you want to eliminate summoned non-commanders as well. That would be a simple matter of selecting spells that produce non-commanders and disabling them through mod commands.

After all this, you will still get units from militia events or access to them through mercenaries. Also, random events would still spawn barbarian hordes etc.

Yea. THAT is the reason I wanted to see if someone had already done it or to give someone the idea and have him work on it.

I had an idea of how to do it but it would take a very long time to do it. Any one interested in getting this started?
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:09 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post

The mp game would be easy to do but I only play SP.

Units turning up via other means would be cool and the redokulous resource cost could work too.