.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 21st, 2010, 07:49 PM

Corporal

Dectilon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wish-List for Dominions 4

I've always thought how glorious it would be if Illwinter teamed up with Creative Assembly and made Dom4 in their new Total War-engine.

For a slightly more realistic wish I'd like a drag-and-drop system for items, and possibly spells too, improved graphics for the map so you can have visual representations of extreme cold/heat, magic sites present and the like. A robust diplomacy system could be interesting too. That way it'd be easier to keep track of NAP, and maybe some other interesting stuff could be included, like a trade agreement where both sides get a gold boost, or a small gem bonus of the type your trade partner has the most of (without actually cutting into his gem production).
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Isnt that engine Windows only?
Dominions is a Linux game. They would probably want to team up in a different direction.
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM

BANNED USER

Eximius Sus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dectilon View Post
I've always thought how glorious it would be if Illwinter teamed up with Creative Assembly and made Dom4 in their new Total War-engine.

For a slightly more realistic wish I'd like a drag-and-drop system for items, and possibly spells too, improved graphics for the map so you can have visual representations of extreme cold/heat, magic sites present and the like. A robust diplomacy system could be interesting too. That way it'd be easier to keep track of NAP, and maybe some other interesting stuff could be included, like a trade agreement where both sides get a gold boost, or a small gem bonus of the type your trade partner has the most of (without actually cutting into his gem production).
I really dislike that idea. Dom3 is good because it doesn't try to be another 3d mess that uses up computer resources to do flashy 3d stuff and skimp on gameplay. I've only played one total war game and it didn't do a lot for me. But most every great game I played that got shifted to 3d was turned into crap. The prime example to me is HOMM5. A complete disaster and the destruction of a brilliant series.
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

HOMM4 was a disaster, and it didn't use (extensive) 3D.

HOMM5 has the best balance and gameplay of the series, and those 3D graphics look frickin' fantastic, man!

I agree that it's a shame - and there is no principled reason - why the game can't be run in flat-sprite "mode". But HOMM5 is still a great game.

That said, I agree that more thoughtful, play-by-mail-type, high content/low footprint games are needed, and that these are clearly J+K's strengths.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:22 PM

BANNED USER

Eximius Sus is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't even get past the first 5 missions in HOMM 5. All that fiddling around moving my view and trees blocking the terrain? I hated it. So the result was a change of basic art and style for the sake of flash destroyed the game for me. And the cut scenes were bloody awful.

I loved HOMM4. Very much my favourite although I know that's a very rare feeling. Probably why I liked HOMM4 so much was the brilliant maps made by folks like Sarvi. Still it's predecessors were all fine games without great flavour. Like Disciples 2 a game can be great without a pile of flash. HOMM 3 had that brilliant map Sander's Folly. Just loved that.

But your last sentence totally sums up my feelings on this matter. The big studios do a brilliant job of making beautiful games with crap content and zero replayability. Let the indies do what they do best. Produce games full of content and long life.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:04 AM

Private

cwkjc is on a distinguished road

Dominions 4 wishes ...

- More Nations always more !!!
- A faith scale
- More Holy sites and unholy sites with specific effects
- Temporary magic mythic sites not stable in the world, appearing a few turns as an event when dominions conditions are met,
- A syncretism effect for a new nation, for example if you gain a province with a temple this temple still exist and is counted in your temples, or a nation don't loose morale in an enemy dominion
- More religious events for example one that convert a unit in a sacred unit and vice versa
- Nations with specific laboratories with bonuses/penalties or special locations where you can summon or forge national items
- Specific effects when you have a laboratory and a temple in a same province
- holy items

and and and...
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:30 AM

Corporal

RadicalTurnip is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking lately how it would be cool if, instead of certain nations getting units with a bonus (like a forge bonus is what I'm thinking here) if the capital just had a forge bonus as one of its sites. Then when you captured a capital, it would be more important. Maybe one would grant scrying, one would do forge bonus, one would do evocation bonus, one would let you enter to summon stuff, one would let you enter to cast something (like a free call of the wild) and things like that. Just a random idea.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:35 AM

Corporal

nordlys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dectilon View Post
And who's going to shell out some $5 millions on modelling and animating two thousands of creatures, Illwinter or Creative Assembly?
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:36 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Interesting ideas, cwkjc.
Some are already available in mods, and others can be. But its an interesting list to consider modding.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

ioticus is on a distinguished road

Didn't they already state that they were NOT working on Dom4?