winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:24 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Still getting Ghost Problems in PBEM

Hmm, if we use the same version then why do I get the error message that one gets when one uses the latest patched version and the other one uses the widescreen patch version? Or am I remembering wrong? I will update when I receive my turn.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:24 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Don, my game with Bob started with me having the new version and he the older one.
You can't play pbem with a opponent with a different version of the game or upgrade in a LC,AFAIK,chaos always happens.
You can if we are talking about the widescreen version.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:49 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Bob, I was right. We started the campaign with the latest official full patch. Later, and way after the ghost crews appeared for the first time in this game, I changed the files to the widescreen files.

I don't see how this can affect the issue since the issue appeared before the change to the ws files...
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:55 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Confused Re: Still getting Ghost Problems in PBEM

I'm bad Wdll, I forgot about the wide-screen patch, like I said I'm the one with the failing memory. However, I don't recall it causing the problem, if the ghosts had occurred at the same time I/We would have figured the WS patch to be the problem.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Oh no, I am sure the problem is not with the WS patch, this is a much older issue.

With yours, I am in the middle of 3 PBEM campaigns. What I am planning on doing is as I finish each of them I will start the next on a new installation of the game, so at the end I will have 4 installations of the game, I hope that won't cause any problem.
This way I will start 3 new PBEM campaigns, with an installation for each one and see if the problem repeats itself over time and if yes, on how many of them.

Devs, am I right to assume that if a save game corrupts an installation, it will only do so the one used to play the game in question, right? There are no common files or registry data which could ever possibly affect this?

The reason I said 4 is because I have no idea how I could uninstall only the oldest (the current) installation, without affecting the other 3 (yet to be) installations.

Of course this will take several weeks if not months.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBob View Post
I'm bad Wdll, I forgot about the wide-screen patch, like I said I'm the one with the failing memory. However, I don't recall it causing the problem, if the ghosts had occurred at the same time I/We would have figured the WS patch to be the problem.

Bob out
I wish you would use some of that bad memory to hold your tactics against me lol.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,510 Times in 2,719 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Devs, am I right to assume that if a save game corrupts an installation, it will only do so the one used to play the game in question, right? There are no common files or registry data which could ever possibly affect this?

The reason I said 4 is because I have no idea how I could uninstall only the oldest (the current) installation, without affecting the other 3 (yet to be) installations.

There is no way I know of that a save game would "corrupt an installation". A save game file just stores data.

More likely it's the installation causing corrupted save games or SOMETHING, we have no idea what, you could be doing that would cause this corruption to occur that could include anything up to and including your purchasing/deleting habits when setting up the game.

The fact remains that , until I hear otherwise, the ONLY people who have had this problem are you and the people who play you.

Don
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:18 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:

There is no way I know of that a save game would "corrupt an installation". A save game file just stores data.

More likely it's the installation causing corrupted save games or SOMETHING, we have no idea what, you could be doing that would cause this corruption to occur that could include anything up to and including your purchasing/deleting habits when setting up the game.

The fact remains that , until I hear otherwise, the ONLY people who have had this problem are you and the people who play you.

Don
Absolutely agree with Don.

Therefore it is either your hardware, or perhaps more likely, something that you do that others do not.

How about, for example whatever you do in the repair/upgrade screen.

- Do you leave things unrepaired, if you don't have the repair points?

- Or do you maybe delete damaged or destroyed core formations you don't have points to repair, to regain some build points?. (Thinks to myself - that may be it, since the original formation delete code is for the buy screen, and may not know about damaged units (and having to discard crews for them))

Andy
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:46 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Of course, if I don't have enough repair points I don't repair all that I could. If things are going badly, for more than one turn, so a unit might be left unrepaired (whether it was damaged or destroyed) for 1+ turns)

I rarely delete damaged or destroyed core formations while in the repair screen. If I can't afford to repair them or I don't want them, I will just leave them till I can upgrade them. I am not saying that I never delete them, but I rarely do in a campaign.

A couple more things that I do:

if there is a crew left on board, from a destroyed unit from the current battle, and I can, I will retreat it on its own to save it.

When deploying units, if I have crews either ghost or otherwise, I will place them on the grey hexes during the deployment screen. Same for damaged units.

I have noticed after the end of a battle when I get the promotions "sequence",, crews to get promotions the same way that full units do.

As for software, I don't know, I use a UK installation of Vista 64 Home Premium which I try to keep updated every few weeks or months. Avira Antivir Personal, which I update every day or two. I defrag the disk every couple of months.
I don't install illegal software or any other random software. The only that I do are the occasional software that I use, like media player (last one was 1by1) and games.

I am quite careful what I install.

Last edited by Wdll; September 3rd, 2010 at 10:54 PM..
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

-
Quote:
Or do you maybe delete damaged or destroyed core formations you don't have points to repair, to regain some build points?. (Thinks to myself - that may be it, since the original formation delete code is for the buy screen, and may not know about damaged units (and having to discard crews for them))
I cant see that being the problem the crews are still attached to the formation & go with it. What might be the problem is if he replaces the damaged unit with a new one as in changes it. Could it possibly be coming with a new crew if the old unit was totaly destroyed but its crew survived?