.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 27th, 2011, 04:04 AM

Corporal

Scaramuccia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What am I doing wrong?

Don't full kite thugs. Full kite only SC. 2 optimal kited thugs costs same as 1 full kited but are much better.
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Sergeant

triqui is on a distinguished road

Use a full kitted Wraithlord. With Soul Vortex you are quite strong. Add stoneskin boots, gold shield or lead shield, luck pendant and antimagic amulet, with a "brand sword" of some sort. Put some heavy armor (blacksteel) or maybe rime hauberk for extra Area of Effect damaging aura.

You get 21-25 MR, high prot, etherealness, luck, two damage auras, life leech, AoE sword, fear, good hp and a couple of inmunities.

Double damage auras are very destructive.
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqui View Post
Use a full kitted Wraithlord. With Soul Vortex you are quite strong. Add stoneskin boots, gold shield or lead shield, luck pendant and antimagic amulet, with a "brand sword" of some sort. Put some heavy armor (blacksteel) or maybe rime hauberk for extra Area of Effect damaging aura.
The Wraith Lord is immortal, full kitting it is pointless. They work best as defensive troops with minimal kit, as the kit is easily replaced. Soul Vortex, Charcoal Shield, Frost Brand, Luck Pendant, Antimagic Amulet, done*. They already have solid armor, so it usually isn't worth sticking either armor or a helm on them.

*If you can get away with less than that, do it.
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

My aim is to "rainbow kit" my thug. Spending 10 gems of each type is better than spending 70 gems of one type, unless I have an alternate use for them which is better.

Maybe my thug is good enough for stomping troops, as long as I avoid particularly troublesome mages.
Old November 27th, 2011, 05:02 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Using thugs against the AI is different than against players. Players will kill your thugs whatever you do, generally sending something specifically designed to do so, whether be targeting specific weaknesses or using anti-thug thugs. Thus you make thugs as cheap as you can and hope to raid a few lightly defended provinces before they get nailed.

The AI won't react to what you do. So you usually only have to worry about covering his major paths. MR if he's got good astral, lightning resistance if he's got Air, etc.

OTOH, players tend to leave a lot of poorly defended provinces around since a good thug can take a lot of PD and actual troops are needed at the front. The AI tends to buy PD and have a lot of troops wandering around its backfield. This means you'll run into more generic troops and for a thug to be useful it has to be able to handle that. Which usually means a more expensive chassis and/or more gear. Which is OK, since they're not guaranteed to get targeted and killed as they are in MP.

To get any real use out of a thug in SP, he has to be almost an SC. Able to deal with pretty much any amount of normal troops. 20+ protection. Luck. Awe/Vines/maybe ethereal. No fatigue. Probably regen. AoE weapon.
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:08 PM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol, in the game that I'm playing right now there's a tug of war over my earth kings...

He charms/ hellbinds heart them, I return the favor...

Lead shield, amulet of am, ect...

Its funny to see them attack one side then change and attack the other...

Sometimes they just stand there in confusion...

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.