.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WIP campaign 29th Infantry division (testers appreciated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post

Either I was very lucky with my arty or there are not many infantry units supporting the bunkers, snipers have been by far the biggest headache. Smoke & using the core for recon is letting the engineers get round the bunkers & deal with them in relative safety.

Taking all the victory objectives is most likely not possible unless your mad enough to run into unknown territory on trucks but thats fine I anticipate breaking out of the bottom road & capturing those 3 victory hexes there by about the halfway point of the battle & then moving up to help easy red get off the beach. By then the sniper there will be out of ammo but boy has he had fun hes killed a lot of men.
It appears that snipers were the biggest problem on Omaha Beach, at least for Imp. Come to think of it, snipers were my biggest problem in "Totenkopf Attacks." And snipers can be pretty devastating in just about any scenario where you're attacking against them.

This strikes me as a tad unrealistic, but then I've never experienced combat (thank goodness!) and I appreciate the sacrifices that many talented people have made to create and sustain this wonderful game too much to complain.

So my question is, What are the best ways to beat snipers--especially if they're dug in? Imp suggests smoke and recon. Any more suggestions?

Thanks and have a great day.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:05 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

The problem with snipers is the disruption they cause which can slow down the game if they are used correctly, particulary if you dont have any vehicles.
If you cant see him fire arty light mortars (AGLs in MBT) & Z fire usingthe furthest unit.
Anything to raise his suppresion making locating him easier.
Kill him with MGs or by getting close, hence the smoke, better yet if you have vehicles (especially accurate ones in MBT) hide & let them get an easy kill,
snipers die fast vs a high tech armies autocannons & tanks. They are much more of a headache in WW2 due to its more infantry based nature.
The good thing is the disruption they cause is expensive snipers rarely kill their point cost. Cheap ones (no fire control) dont kill a lot.
5 FC often cost more than a squad so have to kill 8 plus men. etc
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

Just finished the first (Omaha Beach) scenario. Like Rosollia I deployed north and after getting off the beach things really opened up. Would've had a marginal but the game ended after Turn 31, with units directly adjacent to 2 of the last 3 VH's worth 250 points. Shucks. (So why wasn't the last turn played out? I've had this happen before, must be some reason.)

Smoke was absolutely essential (btw how do you z-fire it?). Got one DD up front early to help out, the other was still swimming when the battle ended. Lost quite a few trucks, a handful of squads, and the Navy's gonna sue me for loss of a barge :-). Otherwise the core force is practically unscathed.

Overall it was fun, at least for a beach landing scenario without much armor. I'm looking forward to the next battle. Nice job Ts4EVER, and thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post:
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:41 AM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, as I thought landing on the northern beach exclusively is the way to go if oyu want to keep most of your initial core force. My only conern is that it might make the next scenarios a tad to easy, but we'll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ts4EVER For This Useful Post:
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, as I thought landing on the northern beach exclusively is the way to go if oyu want to keep most of your initial core force. My only conern is that it might make the next scenarios a tad to easy, but we'll see.
"...a tad too easy"? Maybe so, but the second battle wasn't exactly a cakewalk. Got all the objectives but since core units weren't restored from the beach landing they counted as points against, so the result was only a marginal.

There were enough German units to make a fight of it; the last VH (bottom left of the map) wasn't secured until Turn 17. Don't know how I would've managed if at least half the core had been put out of action on Omaha. Thank smoke shells for that!

It's quite a challenging scenario so far. Should be interesting the rest of the way.

@IMP: You were right about snipers. They're not the killer app against infantry I thought they were. Just use the tools at your disposal along with sensible infantry tactics. Enemy snipers haven't killed anywhere near their point cost so far this campaign.
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:39 AM

First Lieutenant

The second scenario is mostly supposed to be about avoiding needless casualties The third one is more fluid and you can really hand the Germans their asses if you do it right, as a change of pace from the beach.
Old August 31st, 2012, 08:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
The second scenario is mostly supposed to be about avoiding needless casualties The third one is more fluid and you can really hand the Germans their asses if you do it right, as a change of pace from the beach.
Hmmm. Guess I didn't do the third one right , despite taking all the objectives. Along with a few infantry squads ALL THREE tanky-wanks got whacked (ouch!). Don't know if it was my incompetence or your devilishly clever placement of those 75mm AT's. Probably a combination of both. So again, only a marginal.

Not that it would have made much difference: when I said "the core force is practically unscathed" from Omaha it was an exaggeration. There were quite a few flamethrowers and bazooka teams that perished unnoticed. It wasn't until fix time before scenario four that I finally realized it . At least now most everybody's up to snuff, so there's no excuses going into the fourth battle. Wish me luck.
Old September 1st, 2012, 08:08 AM

First Lieutenant

Good luck then!
Next map is going into the hedgerows, better get used to those until the britanny part of the campaign starts
Old October 6th, 2012, 07:27 PM

First Lieutenant

OK, new and probably final version of the campaign, with adjusted difficulty levels and some other fixes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 29th.zip (1,023.8 KB, 96 views)
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Sergeant

Rosollia is on a distinguished road

Just started this campaign from the begining using this latest version.

Completed the first mission (the beach landing). This time I deployed my forces historicaly and suffered quite heavy casualties. Not sure if I can complete the campaign and replace my losses, but I will try. I did manage to take all the beach victory hexes and destroyed 10 bunkers. The battle ended in a draw.

Btw. I did like the version where the landing barges were automaticaly loaded more. In this new version of the beach landing mission the infantry is stuck on the water hexes and you have to manualy load everyone onboard. I found it somewhat tedious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRAW.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	12102