.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

jimkehn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: World of Warhammer - Released!

Well, Dang it!!!! I unzipped both the .map and .tga files in the maps folder and when I go to create new game it doesn't show up!!! I did it just like all the other maps I have downloaded and had no problems before. Anyone know what I could have done wrong????
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

EDI(the amazingly cute & intelligent red dragon) : No hurry, I was just wondeing if it existed already, I'll continue using this superb (and already full with pleasant details(ie : like this cavern leading to many regions)) map , and start testing this WW map.
Once again, a big THANKS to modders and map makers.

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

jimkehn is on a distinguished road

Never mind. I figured it out. I put them in the wrong Dom3 folders!!! 8^)
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:04 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

Thanks a ton, Zepath.
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Very nice!
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:07 AM

Sergeant

zepath is on a distinguished road

I'm glad the map is being well received so far. The resolution/resizing issue was a problem at first and my thanks are to Panpiper for being so forthcoming about it.

As an update on the map, I have been working on the adventure version, setting up legendary figures like Mannfred von Carstein and Balthasar Gelt for you all to knock down. Major provinces (like Altdorf, Khemri, Zharr Nagrund, etc.) will feature very difficult defending armies led by unique and fiction-appropriate heroes with indy forts and at least three thematic magic sites (drawn from the stock list) some of which will permit special summons. Population types will be geared so that controlling the provinces belonging to specific races the Warhammer fiction will give you access to basic Dominions troop types of that sort. Control the Southlands jungles, for example, and you'll be able to suplement your forces with reptilians. Overrun the Chaos wastes and you'll be able to draft barbarians and demons.

In this strain, I will happily accept requests from anyone for the inclusion of particular characters, armies, or the like in the adventure version. My knowledge and references of the Warhammer World are sufficient to the task of filling the map with very special indy provinces, but I'd hate to leave out someone's favorite nemesis from this far more characterful version.

Also, if anyone catches any snags in the map or my spelling of province names while playing on the map, please let me know.
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:31 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Make sure the large forests like Drakwald give the chance to recruit beastmen - or satyrs in this case. Cavemen would be nice in the chaos wastes and far eastern mountains representing trolls or ogres.
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Sergeant

zepath is on a distinguished road

Sombre: Will do. My plan was to use Pangaean troops to represent the beastmen tribes and barbarians/tribal humans to fit the role of the uncivilized human Chaos-worshipers in the far north and south. Cavemen would be a nice supplement to those and I'll use them in the east as well for ogres. Of course, there are a number of troll troop types in Dom3 already and I could use them to fulfill the role of the ogres in some places. There is at least more variety among the trolls than the cavemen. My biggest unknown at the moment is how to properly represent the dwarfs. There are not nearly enough svartalf-like beings in the otherwise comprehensive stock creature list to fairly recreate the dwarven holds.
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road

I am super excited about the prospect of your adventure map, Zepath. I expect I will be weeks exploring it from the perspective of numerous races. Here follows random thoughts;

While I have little experience with the Warhammer Role Playing Game (I read much of the book, just never played), I have some experience with Warhammer Fantasy Battle and vast experience (albeit, ten years out of date now) with their figurine line (I sold them for ten years). I am not a fan of their battle rules system, however the mythology they've created for their universe is nothing short of fantastic. I am especially enamoured of 'Chaos'.

I would really like to see the north and south poles truly representative of the horror of the chaos spilling from the vortices. I expect this is likely not possible without someone building some race mods, either one each for the four chaos powers; Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, & Slaanesh or perhaps just two, one for each pole, each representing two of the powers, Khorne & Nurgle sharing one vortex and Tzeentch & Slaanesh sharing the other. If they share the poles, their starting positions could be the vortex itself with appropriate startsites. If they are four separate races, then they would effectively be fighting over possession of the vortices and so their positioning should reflect their natural hostilities; Nurgle vs. Tzeentch, and Khorne vs. Slaanesh. In this case the vortices need to be something truly worth fighting over and yet, terrible places to actually be. Combine for instance "The Vale of Infinite Horror" with "Throne of the World" and a couple other powerful thematic sites.

Of course this would need the attention of a talented race modder. Sombre has been building some Warhammer races. I wonder if he has given any thought to Chaos and how such races might be handled. Amos released a couple of interesting mods "Horror Scourge" and "Chaos Wars" that are at least somewhat evocative of Warhammer chaos. (All of Amos' mods are interesting, these two are just closest to actual Warhammer Chaos.) I wonder if Amos is following this thread and whether he would be interested. My guess is Sombre has so many other Warhammer races to tackle... ;-) Of course Zepath himself is no slouch as a race modder, but he's likely already overwhelmed by the adventure map work.

The question of how to deal with chaos mutations and chaos artifacts is also rather daunting. I do not know if there is any provision within the game engine for random (or otherwise) changes in units. Then there is the problem of the current engine having a rather restrictive number of new races and graphics that can be included in any game. I wonder if Kristoffer O. is still following this and if he could give us any indication if these current limits will be lifted or relaxed any time soon.

I am tempted to volunteer myself to help with mod work, but my skills haven't progressed much further than hacking other people's mods. I do have at least one potentially interesting idea for a race mod that might some day see fruition, but I am waiting on DrPraetorious' "Custom Army Design System" to be a bit more fleshed out, as I am notoriously incapable of creating balance without some system to guide me.

Hmm... Maybe I could release a race mod and let the more experienced folks out there vote on what the gold/resource costs should be for the units? I venture off topic. Thanks for putting up with my musings. And huge thanks to all those named in this post for everything they do and have done to make my life more enjoyable.
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Now the map is finished I'd have no objection to help fill in a few provinces for the adventure map.. I'm fairly familiar with warhammer fantasy and I'm getting more and more familiar with map editing and basic modding (just not creating race) so filling in thematic provinces is what I can do and like to do.

Of course I can understand ti completely if Zepath prevers to keep it all in his own hands... but if he needs a hand.. the offer stands.

PS IMHO this map should come with a few mods so the thematic provinces can be better "themed"

anyway if you want a few extra hands on the job.. just message me and tell me which province you would like filled and I'll send you a message with the modlines I'd use
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.