.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 12th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things Kristoffer Ostremann forgot to double

B0rsuk,

Resources were *not* doubled, they are exactly as the same levels than Dom2 (you start at base 80, and I didn't notice on maps that the average resource was increased).
Gold was more than doubled (x2.5), but so were buildings costs !
So to recruit mages you now have to invest 1000+ gold vs 400 before, and eventually you don't get much more mages until mid-game, as the recruit speed is limited by number of available castles+labs.

Alchemy wasn't halved, where did you see that ? Fire gems still at 15 and Earth at 10.
Even then I agree that Alchemy is rather less interesting now that gold is more plentiful, even if unit costs remained the same.
For example I don't think the old "Alchemist" strategy will be efficient, as the extra alchemy income will be weak compared to standard income now...

Undead leadership has been upped - at least when I browsed Ermor AE commanders they all had more than before.
I don't think normal leadership should be increased, leadership limitations at least this gives a reason to recruit non-mages commanders...

Supply sites could be doubled, but now supply is not much of a problem anymore so they end up rather useless anyway...
Maybe it is with 1000+ armies late in a game, but 1000+ armies still are not a good idea (one FftS, -500 units, bleh !)
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:53 AM

First Lieutenant

Corwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PDF said:
B0rsuk,

Resources were *not* doubled, they are exactly as the same levels than Dom2 (you start at base 80, and I didn't notice on maps that the average resource was increased).
Gold was more than doubled (x2.5), but so were buildings costs !
So to recruit mages you now have to invest 1000+ gold vs 400 before, and eventually you don't get much more mages until mid-game, as the recruit speed is limited by number of available castles+labs.

Alchemy wasn't halved, where did you see that ? Fire gems still at 15 and Earth at 10.
Even then I agree that Alchemy is rather less interesting now that gold is more plentiful, even if unit costs remained the same.
For example I don't think the old "Alchemist" strategy will be efficient, as the extra alchemy income will be weak compared to standard income now...

Undead leadership has been upped - at least when I browsed Ermor AE commanders they all had more than before.
I don't think normal leadership should be increased, leadership limitations at least this gives a reason to recruit non-mages commanders...

Supply sites could be doubled, but now supply is not much of a problem anymore so they end up rather useless anyway...
Maybe it is with 1000+ armies late in a game, but 1000+ armies still are not a good idea (one FftS, -500 units, bleh !)
I thought FfhS works as a certain small/medium fire damage to affected units (about 50% of them) if not in castle? Like 10 or 15 AP damage to each unit?

If this is the case, than in your example 500 units would only die if units were low hp. So 500 man out of 1000 could die, but not 500 vine ogres.

Is this true or does FftS works differently?
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Korvin said:
I thought FfhS works as a certain small/medium fire damage to affected units (about 50% of them) if not in castle? Like 10 or 15 AP damage to each unit?

If this is the case, than in your example 500 units would only die if units were low hp. So 500 man out of 1000 could die, but not 500 vine ogres.

Is this true or does FftS works differently?
I think it still works as in Dom2.

FftS requires 5f and 35 fire gems now also.
Since the angels are now national summons it is also not so easy to get enough 5f casters i think.

So it largely depends what you can field. Nations with ~30 hp nationals with some armor like Jotunheim should then be near impossible to wipe out with FftS i think.
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

You're right Korvin, even if the real effect from FftS is still mysterious it looks like it's a set damage and don't kill as much big stuff as little humans.
Yet I was referring to supply problems from the bigger armies that can be fielded in Dom3 : but VO are magic summons plus they don't eat !
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

What i noticed what was not doubled are some spells like:

- Imprint Souls
- Call of the Wild
- Call of the Wind

And they are now quite weak in comparison to dom2
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:52 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hadrian_II said:
What i noticed what was not doubled are some spells like:

- Imprint Souls
- Call of the Wild
- Call of the Wind

And they are now quite weak in comparison to dom2
These spells were made weaker by the increased value of provincial defence, that's true, but there have been few changes into at least the last one. Call of the Wind now gets a more powerful commander. Call of the Wild is more powerful in forests (instead of claiming to only work there).
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Corwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PDF said:
You're right Korvin, even if the real effect from FftS is still mysterious it looks like it's a set damage and don't kill as much big stuff as little humans.
Yet I was referring to supply problems from the bigger armies that can be fielded in Dom3 : but VO are magic summons plus they don't eat !
I see, thank you for confirmation.

You are right of course, 1000 units army if soldiers are eating will require considerable investment in gems and forging to avoid starvation and desease. Or one would have to field huge ammount of nature mages, but that is much less likely option, considering the numbers.