.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 15th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is soul drain the best combat spell in the gam

Army of Leaf

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Private

Slen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alneyan said:
It's only 300 fatigue for an Air 3 mage; it's 150 fatigue at Air 4, 100 fatigue at Air 5, 75 fatigue at Air 6... You can get Summon Storm Power for a cheap +1, and add extra gems to lower the fatigue amount: Storm Power+two extra gems result in a level 3 mage being able to cast the spell with only 75 fatigue. On an aside, fatigue is capped at 200, so you can cast a 700 fatigue spell without doing anything special.

Relief is another great spell for fatigue, as it removes the fatigue of *all* your troops on the battlefield. If memory serves, Relief is at level 7 of research, and requires Nature 3... probably in the Enchantment school.

*Squashes the Figure Fairy out of this post*

.....how do you use EXTRA germs in combat to improve spells?
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

If a commander carries gems his aproriate magic skills will increase in battle. Even one gem will do but it's only +1 no matter the amount of gems. They can be also used to cure fatigue AFAIK.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:36 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Yes, Army of Leaf. I am eco friendly you know, and backed by Pangaea. My favourite temperature is Cold 1, and it's currently 32 C in my room, so I blame any and all typos on the heat.

Slen: glad you like typos just as much as I do (you go to the jeweller to buy germs, while I use leaves to forge something). The AI will automatically use extra gems, if some are to be found, depending on the situation: the AI will especially use some to cast very tiring spells and/or against "powerful" foes.

The first extra gem can be used as a +1 magic boost for that spell online, and all other gems are used to reduce fatigue (as though the spell was cast by a mage of a higher level). Note, however, that gem usage cannot go higher than the real level of the mage, and that includes the non-extra gems.

So, we have an Earth 8 mage wanting to cast Army of Gold, a 600 fatigue spell (it therefore requires 6 gems). The mage casts Summon Earthpower, bringing him to Earth 9, and then casts Army of Gold by using 9 gems. 6 of those are used to cast the spell, and the 3 others are used to improve the spell. For this spell, our mage is effectively Earth 10, and will have the same fatigue as a level 12 mage casting this spell (100 fatigue, if I am not mistaken).
Old July 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Why is Fatigue capped at 200 ??
Old July 16th, 2005, 02:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

If fatique raises above 200, it gives damage. The big spells would be uncastable by mages that meet the power requirement, as they would need to have lots of extra gems and be able to use them (only [magic level] gems can be used per turn, so with spells needing lots of gems it might be impossible to use extra gems with the minimum required level). I don't know if this is good thing or bad thing, or even if this is the reason, but I think it is.