.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 21st, 2006, 07:23 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What games are you waiting for in 2006?

Quote:
PrinzMegaherz said:
Quote:
OG_Gleep said:

I loved Silent Storm. My only gripe is I didn't appriciate the Sci-Fi elements towards the end. I spent hours just doing Random missions. IMHO its the best game of its type (and one of the only of its type) since JA.
I'm not sure about this one, but have you seen screenshots of Hammer & Sickle? They look exactly like Silent Storm to me... you might whish to take a look
Yeah that game gonna use the old SS engine indeed.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

OG_Gleep is on a distinguished road

I ran out and bought H&S, hoping to get more Silent Storm action. But, its a totally different game. Its a RPG built on the Silent Storm Engine. It started off as a Mod, and for some reason they made it into a stand alone product.

A few people really liked it, I thought it was terrible. It is technically well done, it just wasn't thought through well. Its hard to explain, most games pace you and give you the nessisary information to figure out what you need to do in any given area. This one doesn't. The forum community sorta muddled through it and figured it out collectivley shareing info.

On to other news: I just got in my monthly magazines, and PC Gamer had a preview for Warhammer Online. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with this title, but it was in the hands of another developer and was canned. Games Workshop had some ex-employees working at Mythic and called them up, and they took over in 2004, starting from scratch. They built it as the spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot.

It looks really cool, and I always thought Dark Age of Camelots Realm vs Realm system would be perfect for a Warhammer MMO. The Graphics look very similar to World of Warcraft, which is good. There are 2 overall sides, 6 races, and 3 individual wars going on in Warhammer Online.

1. Empire vs Hordes of Chaos (Mortals)
2. Dwarves vs Orcs and Gobbos
3. High Elves vs Dark Elves

There will be 3 different types of PvP engagements, from small skirmishes to full blown wars. Though each race will be seperate from the others, your guild of dwarves can backup an elven guild on a raid.

And you will be able to recognize high level players, each race will have a "characteristic" that indicates player level. As orcs grow in power, they will also grow in size (warhammer lore, orc warbosses tower over regular units), and you can tell how powerful a dwarf is by the length of his beard (Longbeards are dwarven vets in the tabletop).

Anyhow, check it out.

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

I got my Oblivion yesterday and so far, I'm not overly impressed. Much of the atmosphere succumbs to the very bad german translation. Most texts are either half english half german or just without any grammar. For example, a strong healing potion would be read like st.ng pt. of hlng.. The tutorial refers to the XBox controller (move the right bumber to activate the item) even though I own the PC version. The graphics are nice, but the people running around don't look very much like people, if you ask me. There is a character generator you can use to create your characters appereance. However, I found it hard to make something that does not look like a monster or plain ugly. The story is more involving than in the earlier games of the series, but still far away from the likes of Final Fantasy (which I personally found very involving). It's a decent game though, and I think I'm gonna spend much time searching the hundreds of dungeons that can be found in the wilderness.
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Re: Silent Storm, the demo was enough to persuade me not to buy it.

Picture this: My scout, armed with an SMG and throwing knives, standing directly(one tile) behind a regular, utterly oblivious German soldier. Having experienced The Fury of the game's RNG, I pass her turn, to ensure she has all of her APs to spare. I also save*, for reasons which presently elude me.
The turn thereafter, I fire a burst into the back of the enemy grunt's head. I think two of the three rounds hit. He grunts, gets an interrupt, turns around, and fires a burst into my scout, critically injuring her.

Load. Aim for his back. All three rounds hit, he grunts, turns, brings my scout within a few HP of death. Load. Throw knife at head. Knife hits, grunt, turn, critically injure scout. Load and try a dozen variations, doing things with the rest of my squad to abuse the RNG. No dice.

Now, I like a challenge as much as the next gamer. In fact, I like a challenge much more than the next gamer. I like challenges so much I'm even willing to overlook the fact that my scout had absolutely zero chance of killing that grunt in a single action, as well as the screaming lack of realism this entails.
But when I get an elite squad member in the best conceivable position, offense-wise, to take out a mere mook, that mook should die, quickly and cleanly, without my having to rely on sniper support.

* Meaning the game was set to easy difficulty, right? Or did the demo allow saving during combat under hard difficulty, as well?
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Vicious Love said:
Re: Silent Storm, the demo was enough to persuade me not to buy it.

Picture this: My scout, armed with an SMG and throwing knives, standing directly(one tile) behind a regular, utterly oblivious German soldier. Having experienced The Fury of the game's RNG, I pass her turn, to ensure she has all of her APs to spare. I also save*, for reasons which presently elude me.
The turn thereafter, I fire a burst into the back of the enemy grunt's head. I think two of the three rounds hit. He grunts, gets an interrupt, turns around, and fires a burst into my scout, critically injuring her.

Load. Aim for his back. All three rounds hit, he grunts, turns, brings my scout within a few HP of death. Load. Throw knife at head. Knife hits, grunt, turn, critically injure scout. Load and try a dozen variations, doing things with the rest of my squad to abuse the RNG. No dice.

Now, I like a challenge as much as the next gamer. In fact, I like a challenge much more than the next gamer. I like challenges so much I'm even willing to overlook the fact that my scout had absolutely zero chance of killing that grunt in a single action, as well as the screaming lack of realism this entails.
But when I get an elite squad member in the best conceivable position, offense-wise, to take out a mere mook, that mook should die, quickly and cleanly, without my having to rely on sniper support.

* Meaning the game was set to easy difficulty, right? Or did the demo allow saving during combat under hard difficulty, as well?
I'm not sure about saving restrictions, but this is exactly how the game plays. Now imagine the enemy walking around in his panzer kleins, killing your people with one shot and only being vulnerable to bazookas
Old March 24th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

Jagged Alliance 2... now that was both realistic (as far as sequential turn-based games go) and fun: the personalities went a long way with me.
Old March 24th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Silent Storm walked around reviews as something that has more issues then features.

Actually, from what I saw, comparing it with Jagged Alliance 2 is insult to Jagged Alliance 2.
Old March 25th, 2006, 04:55 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Daynarr said:
Silent Storm walked around reviews as something that has more issues then features.

Actually, from what I saw, comparing it with Jagged Alliance 2 is insult to Jagged Alliance 2.
Okay, seems that I misremembered. One less game to play during the spring. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Maybe I should try to finish one of the oldies-but-goodies for real this time. Like the original X-Com. That's challenge, but I had started to survive a little better. Only got to attack alien base once, though, and never saw the really tough aliens I have heard and read about.
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:04 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Morkilus said:
Jagged Alliance 2... now that was both realistic (as far as sequential turn-based games go) and fun: the personalities went a long way with me.
My favorite voice acting ever

"I forget... I forget again!!!"
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Shadow is a legend.

Edit: not related to that voice SC quoted.