.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 5th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Niefelheim - Who’s afraid of the big bad wolf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissBlade View Post
Isn't the s4n4e9 dormant my suggestion?
Er, sorry. I'm going senile. Have edited my post to a correct attribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissBlade View Post
=( Though the way I see it is, I wouldn't bother with the shroud on skrattis and just use the bless to power your regular jotun jarls while gearing your skrattis with the gems you. This way you're not bottlenecked by anything. Have gem deficit? get jarls, have gold deficit? Get skrattis. Meanwhile you have high powered niefel jarls to do your heavy lifting too!
I could see it going that way, and copper plate/rime hauberk/etc. might be a better choice than shroud in many circumstances. I'm a big believer in preserving strategic flexibility.

(Repeat: I had not realized how amazing blood thorns on skrattis were until Baalz's post made me check them out. Blood thorns totally free you from worrying about encumbrance, even with Quickness, and skrattir w/ Quickness don't really need an AoE weapon. That means you can make unusual choices for your slots. I do like the thought of Winged Boots on these fearsome skrattir, or Cloud-Trapeezing Niefel Jarls.)

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

All credit for Baalz' organizing everything into a nice neat post (which he did very well, and which I commend) aside, most of what's suggested here is a retread of things that have already been suggested, often more than once. Not all of it, but a lot.

Just to give one example, here's a copy of a post I made in September 30 of last year, suggesting the skratti's usefulness, and other items (including synergy between Niefelheim and undead) Baalz has mentioned:

QUOTE*I was reading through the various strategy guides, and I thought I'd add a few late comments on here, considering the tactics that have been suggested already.

First of all, I always seem to forge lots of copper plate for my Jarls. It's an easy forge for Niefelheim, almost to the point of being a no-brainer. It's not the best armour in the world for them, but it's cheap, and better than what they have--they've got the air gems to spend, and it takes care of lightning threats. So that's another reason that shock attacks aren't always the best choice, unless you can deny them air gems.

It's a lot harder for Niefel to defend itself against fire, than it is lightning, *IF* you're not using Niefel recruits as your main force. The best thing you can do is spam Lightning AND Fire. Even then, expect Niefel Pretenders to come with fire magic.

Secondly, Fear Helmets seem like a good choice for them too-and are-but the death gems you spend now are the death gems you don't spend later on. I honestly think they're a superb item to give your Jarls, because they help a lot to keep your giants from becoming surrounded, and they sync with the Jarls' natural Death magic. One of the best items you can give them, for the money, especially since they have the death gems to spend, but they're expensive! and they're low-level items. So one thing you really want to develope is a death-gem income, because you *need* death gems now, and you need them even *more* in Late Game-where Niefelheim starts to fade.

Denying Neifelheim death-gems hurts them.

Niefelheim wants Luck 3. That's, in my opinion, the single most important scale for Niefelheim to max out. Everything else, even Magic, is secondary (you have natural access to the two best research-boosters, skulls and quills). You don't want to build those lovely Niefel recruits, when you can build a Jarl, so Order and Production aren't as important. Not when you can expect 3000 gold atleast once a year (either as a chunk, or in dribs and drabs). You just can't suffer barbarian raids. They'll cut through you like butter, unless you have a decent army in place to compliment your PD.

And that 3000 gold event comes with both a magic item, and lots of fire gems-which is great for a Nation that doesn't otherwise get a lot of fire gems.

Niefelheim PD is worth at best half, at worst a third as much as the PD of almost any other nation-even monkeys!-so you need 1: time to consolidate your forces, and 2: you need your temple and lab to stay in tact until you can purchase atleast 2 more heavily guarded temples and labs. Niefel doesn't care about resources, because while high resource troops are nice, it can always fall back on boulder-throwers and skinshifters, both of which make beautiful PD boosters. And every single PD needs boosters-and needs to be raised up to *atleast* 36, if you expect to hold a province. In SP games, I've been known to literally station a single, kitted out Niefel Jarl, in every single province I own, when using high levels of Misfortune, because barbarian raids are just so devastating. That's extreme, I admit, but it's very expensive for Niefel to hold on to territory. Niefelheim lives and dies on gold income-deny them gold and they're a paper tiger.

Niefelheim, for 200 gold a piece, has a very respectable H2, decent stats, priest. Niefelheim's going to want to build a *lot* of them. Dominion Death is a real risk for Niefelheim, because again, holding territory (and the temples thereon) is hard for them. And with two heavy blesses-Earth and Nature-you aren't guaranteed an awake Pretender with high Dominion. Masses of undead chaff can also be a threat, as mentioned. And while those 200 gold priests are great, they're still 200 gold a pop. Niefelheim is going to want cheaper priests if it can get them, if only for Dominion-maintenance. Deny them cheap priests, destroy their temples whenever possible, and attack their Dominion, even if it's good-force them to maintain it.

Starvation's nice, but I've never had a *real* problem with starving Niefels, because I've always managed to forge wineskins and cauldrons with my Gygjas-and it's really easy to stick one of each on their high movement, holy, stealthy, tough scouts, and ship them out wherever needed--and easier, once you can give the scouts winged boots. I *love* Niefel scouts, by the way. If you can ever figure out a way to make a bunch of them, like 25, they make beautiful raiders-raiders that can carry around cauldrons/wineskins, or maybe a skellspam amulet and a bottle of water (water elementals are tougher when they're frozen)-Equipped, they can support your outlying provinces all by themselves, and your Skratti can follow, supporting them with spells.

Deny them Nature gems, and you're not only denying them food items, you're denying them healing, and one of the best spells for Niefelheim-perhaps the best global-Gift of Health, which not only heals them, it gives them even more HP.

Niefelheim doesn't have good access to healing-the best it can manage, bar Globals, is Fairy Queen. Curse the crap out of their commanders, their units, their pets, the rats in their cellars, whatever they have, whenever you can. Horror-mark is ok too, but not as nice, because a Niefel Jarl can take out a lesser Horror very consistently, unless you catch them early (without a magic weapon), and are lucky. A well-equipped Niefel Jarl can even give a Doom Horror several afflictions, before it's taken out, so horror marks aren't the best tactic to use against them. So skip horror marking, unless you can *really* spam it, and always focus on Curse, Curse, and more Curse. Afflict them, and deny them healing, whenever you can. A severely afflicted giant is actually better than a dead giant-because it's still drawing a paycheck. Disease is nice enough, but *always* expect a regeneration bless. Once Niefel breaks into healing, it really becomes a powerhouse.

When considering Darkness as a counter to Niefel, don't be surprised with Niefel starts building it's own undead. Breaking into undead is a great tactic for Niefel-cheap skellspam amulets become invaluable, when each one produces an endless stream of human-sized darkness/cold immune chaff units. Fun to stick on non-death mage scouts, and the weakest Jotun commanders (which are still both Sacred). And while Niefel might not have many good paths to the water, they do have the Wyrm Pretender, and they have *plenty* of water magic to use when they get there, so undead can help there too. Banes are my favorite, because you not only get a tough, powerful undead unit, you get a tough, powerful undead unit with a vicious magic weapon, which solves problems like Etherial units, and any lingering horrormark problems, and deals out painful, lingering death.

So again, deny Niefelheim death gems, prepair for undead, and deny them a foothold in the water-because once they get there, they can start spamming sea serpents and krakens (tons of them-water gems aren't otherwise all that useful to Niefelheim, compared to most of the other gems, and they get lots), recruiting chaff, and all the rest. And they can *easily* forge both water and air breathing items, so they can put critters *in* the pool, and take them *out* of the pool, pretty much at will.

Three units are particularly ignored as Niefel powerhouses, and particularly nasty, because they're ignored, and because they mesh well with seldom taken Blesses that Niefel has access to:

The first is the aforementioned non-capital sacred Scout. Scouts are stealthy, no surprises there. But they're also sacred, with all the fun that entails. And while weak compared to most Jotun commanders, they're still Jotuns, which makes them ridiculously better than the average human. Another nice feature is that they've got javelins. Slap a shield on them, and an eye of precision, and those javelins are mean!
They're so mean infact that a Death bless isn't entirely out of the question, since with the damage they dish out, you're pretty much ensuring an Affliction with every single javelin. These guys are straight up your best option, if you want to take a Niefel Pretender (ironically, not a common choice), because they mesh the best with a Death+Water Bless. You still want Nature, though, and since these guys aren't casters, Berserk is a great option if you want to spend the points for it. You can go with Horror Helmets for these guys, or better yet, Horned Helmet, if you've got a high Water bless going, that you can take advantage of. And the spears, while actually not that bad, can be traded out for swords of swiftness. Scouts should carry around food items, and either a skellyspam amulet, or a bottle of water-waterbottle Scouts should be equipped with Rime Hauberks whenever possible, so you can freeze the water elementals they produce, immediately. And Skratti can follow scouts, and spam Quickness.

2-the Niefel Priests (I forget their name). Not as good as a Niefel Jarl, or even a Jotun Jarl, out of the box, they're still Sacred, have better stats than a scout, and they're still Holy 2. If I expected undead units, or lightning attacks, I'd be thinking "hey, what if I took a high Air bless?". They lack shields, but with an Air bless (and they're self-blessing), who needs a shield? And shock's no longer a big deal, when you're 75% resistant to it. And these guys are non-Capital, so build to your heart's content! You can decimate any undead you encounter with them, Dominion's no longer a problem, because you're not concentrating on Niefels anymore, and while they might not be "as good as a Niefel Jarl" in combat, they're still pretty damn good, right out of the box, with an air bless-and you're building 10 of them to every 4 Niefel Jarls. With those numbers, they're arguably better than Niefels, if you want to concentrate on non-Niefel units, like skin-shifters, since they can spam Sermon of Courage. These guys are great, if you want to go with a Titan Pretender. High Earth/Air Bless is beautiful for these guys. Expect to forge helmets for them, though. And since you don't need a shield, you can consider 2 frost brands-cheap and easy for Niefelheim. Rime Hauberk is another nice option. It's cheap, and it gives them the cold aura they lack, in combination with decent Prot. High Air bless also makes your Niefel recruits a lot more palatable, in that they're now going to shrug off cold *and* lightning, which more or less neuthers Caelum against them, and all those fancy missle-tactics that everyone has so painstakingly crafted to work against you, aren't working so well, anymore.

But the *BEST*, most wonderful, glorious, all-round good thing about high Air+Earth bless is that your Pretender can now summon the ultimate PD booster-Watchers.

Watch closely as a half dozen cheap Watchers turn Niefel PD from grungy to great in seconds!

The third, and best, unit is the Skratti. I loooooove Skratti. They're good researchers, they've got access to multiple paths, they're your key to a blood economy, they can shapeshift into not one but two extremely useful forms, including a stealthy wolf, and they're fast-not just Jotun fast either, they're one of the fastest units in the entire *game*. Have them cast Quickness and the Chill Aura spell (they can do that by themselves), and give them two Swords of Swiftness, a horned helmet, and an amulet of reinvigoration, in their were-jotun form, and they're basically quisinarts of death, with 4 sword attacks, a bite, and a gore attack, all at Jotun strength, times whatever Quickness gives them, plus the same cold aura that the Niefels are always bragging about. And they've still got armour, boots (*flying* quisinart of death, anyone?), and 1 misc slot to fill. At 250 gold a pop, properly equipped, they might actually be *better* for the money than a Jarl, considering that Jarls need Earth/Nature blesses to come into their own, and Skrattis aren't even sacred. On top of all that, they're a stealthy caster-be careful with that last, though, Skrattis in wolf form drop most of their equipment. Again-provided you can find a way to forge Shrouds-a good unit for taking advantage of Death+Water, with Nature bless optional, since they're even better as melee fighters than they are as mages. Air + Earth won't hurt them, either, since they'll otherwise be vulnerable to missles, shrouds only offer 8 Prot, and they need all the Reinvigoration they can get. IIRC they get natural Regeneration, too. If so, and if you *can* Shroud them, they don't even need a Nature bless. With their extreme versatility, and furious speed, Skrattis are, hands down, a better choice for Prophet than a Niefel Jarl.

Now, Death, Water, and Air are three paths that Niefelheim definitely doesn't need to break into, but they've got some interesting Pretenders that come with exactly those paths, so it's something to give some thought to.*ENDQUOTE

That's just one example. Here's another, written in October 16th of last year, that goes into more depth about skrattis, specifically in wolf form, and pairing them with undead and Gygjas:

QUOTE* I was going to add this to the "Low cost tactics", but it's pretty expensive, especially for Niefelheim. Fun to pull off, though, and it gives Niefel Hags better synchronicity with the Skratti:

Niefelheim's known for a lot of things, but most of those things are huge, straightforward, and obvious. One thing they aren't known for is Nature magic, except as a path to a decent bless.

Another thing they aren't known for-being huge, lumbering giants-is being particularly stealthy.

But Niefelheim does have 1 National summons-Pack of Wolves, which is Conj3/N2, costing 25 gems for 20 reasonably tough wolves. Not cheap, but fine damage-soakers, with Forest and Mountain survival, and stealth. They're also extremely fast on the ground, at Move 28, meaning archers aren't going to get much chance at them. Not as good as flying, but not subject to stormy weather, either.
To these can be added the following units, which Niefelheim has easy access to, and which don't require venturing further than 4 levels into any magic path:

Bind Fiend-1xfiend of darkness, 5 blood slaves. Fiends of darkness are Imps' bigger, older brothers-older brothers who like to shoot steroid-pcp cocktails into their eyeballs and then mug bengal tigers at the zoo. They fly right out of the box, which keeps the enemy's mages occupied-by-means-of-evisceration, and they've got x2 poison claw attacks, which makes things more interesting for mages who only thought they'd be dealing with the cold, and maybe lightning.

Black Servant-1xblack servant, 5 death gems. Always a good unit to have access to, and a commander. They'll eat up your death gems, though, which is a problem for Niefelheim. Still, it's a great opportunity to add a few thugs with bows to your stealthy forces-but once you've got access to storm bows, give them to your scouts. They're also good out of the box, with etherial + lifedrain, and 18(!) hit-points.

Summon Shades-3xshades, 5 death gems. Expensive for what you get, but etherial, with most of the advantages of a shade beast. Shade beasts are far better, though, so wait for them if you can afford to. They do have a slight niche use as arrow soakers, since they're slower than shade beasts, and their etherialness should keep them safe from most arrows for a long time. Not really worth it though, in most cases.

Summon Shade Beasts-15xshade beasts, 20 death gems. Requires Conj 4, but probably Niefel's best all-around option. Your etherial, cold resistant Shade Beasts are fast, and amphibious, which means they can follow your Niefel Giants anywhere, if you need to team them up, and you don't have to worry about killing them with a cold-aura booster, with skratti. These guys aren't as fast as your wolves, but next to Fiends of Darkness, they're your fastest choice.

Spirits of the Wood-5xhama dryads-the most expensive option, in terms of research and path availability, but the gem cost isn't exhorbitant, and they're etherial units with natural regeneration, recuperation, and poison resistance 100%. Definitely worth the price, as a niche unit, and far better than shades. Note: They're not terribly fast, either in combat, or on the move, and I'm pretty sure they'll eventually die, if you lead them away from where they're summoned, but with some stealthy allies, they make great seige-crashers to keep around your Capital, or other major strongpoints, to get the drop on poison-using foes. They lack cold resistance, though, so keep that in mind-combines well with undead/dire wolves, and their Steal Strength weapon will take the punch out of giant-killing SCs.

These all come with Stealth, meaning not only can your Skrattis (in wolf form) lead them, you can also bring along some Scouts-which, if you're using a Prophetized Skratti to lead them, gives you instant, all-access Bless, and buffs, like Quickness and Sermon of Courage.

And later on, you can trick your stealthy units out with powerful mages and SCs like Wraith Lords, Harvester of Sorrows, Kokythiads, and Spectral Mages.

Again, it's not the cheapest way to go, or the easiest, but being able to field a few very mobile, stealthy, and quite powerful bands of bushwhackers can give Niefel's enemies a fatal surprise that they never saw coming.*ENDQUOTE

Even the style of writing isn't all *that* different.

And that's just examples from things I've written. Using skinshifters over Niefel Jarls is even mentioned in the manual! Forged items for Niefelheim have been discussed, argued about, mulled over, and pounded into the ground since approximately an hour after the release of the Dom3 demo.

Blood Hunting for Niefelheim is obvious, and a standard feature for them. It's not a new tactic, it's just something they're intended to have the capacity for. Pushing malignant dominions is another "old hat" idea. Bloodthorns on giants are nice, but I suspect people have been doing that since atleast Dom2, and that it's only fallen out of favor since the Lifedrain nerf.

I'm not trying to grab credit for Baalz' work-and this *is* a nice, concise guide-but it's a little insulting to other people who originally came up with these ideas and aren't recieving any credit for them, and it's insulting to Baalz for people to say that it's some of his best work, since he really *has* come up with some fantastic, innovative guides. I've learned a heck of a lot from his guides in the past, and he's put in a lot of hard work, for the benefit of everyone, and I respect and appreciate that. There's just not a lot that's original here. It's either old ideas gathered together, or Baalz' standard tactics applied generically to yet another Nation.

I don't mind anyone using my ideas, but I like to recieve credit for them, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. It's not so terribly difficult to do a little research and see if your "great new idea" has ever been thought of before. Atleast, if you're not sure about the originality of something, then put in a mention that you haven't found anything similar before. Especially when it's for a Nation that's been in the spotlight for as long, and as intensely, as Niefelheim. It saves on hard feelings and helps us all get along.

I still think it's useful as a guide. The ideas are presented well, some *are* original, as far as I can tell, and I think it'll help a lot of people play Niefelheim in the future, but there should be the understanding that a lot of what's here has been around for a while now.

And I'm sorry to say it, because I really would like to have more great new ideas for playing what remains one of my very favorite Nations in the game.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

As far as I'm concerned, blood thorns on skratti ARE a new idea, and that's the most valuable thing I got out of the Baalz' guide (plus the usefulness of the berserking axes to mostly counter awe and fear--and dual-wielding athames and axes was also new to me). I'd heard skratti suggested before as thugs, but Quickness is usually a turnoff for me because of critical hits from fatigue, so I discounted that suggestion whenever I heard it, but Baalz changed my mind. Yes, many of the tactics Niefelheim can use are not unique to Niefelheim, and I'm dubious about the effectiveness of some enthusiastic suggestions, but skrattir really do have some unique synergies and I appreciate Baalz pointing them out.

I have no idea if I just disagreed with you or not, HoneyBadger.

One thing I'll mention here that I haven't mentioned recently: if you take a province with thugs and don't have time to besiege it, blood-hunting is a great way to shut it down for a few turns. Since you get d6 unrest for every slave found, and a skratti with B2 has a 60% chance of generating 5.5 slaves on average, about 7 skrattir blood-hunting should spike unrest to 100 and prevent recruitment on the round you move away.

On the other hand, I have to say that I've been a little disappointed with the skratti thugs in tests. Even the suggested SC builds (with armor and such) are great at dishing out damage, but less durable than I expect thugs to be, probably because of the -def from berserk. I expect a SC to be able to take out an army reliably, and in my tests my skratti approximations sometimes lose to armies even when there are 3 or more of them. They fare significantly better when there are some Jotun Hirdmen mixed in with them, though, so for now I'm thinking of the skratti as basically arty mages: you need chaff to absorb the hits while the skratti dish out the damage. And the axe is pretty nice against other SCs (causes chest wounds, apparently no MR resist).

Against the skrattir, Skelly spam (or Raise Dead spam) does work out pretty well too, because berserk skratti pick up 5 fatigue per round (7 if quickened) and have low enough def that zombies can actually hit them sometimes. And of course paralyze is great if they're still at the base MR 14. The advantage to all the blood items is that you're only spending gold, not "real" gems, and of course national mages also only cost gold (which is why I love nations w/ good recruitable-anywhere mages).

Anyway, I love the fact that I'm actually worrying about skratti as a problem. I wish every nation scared me as much as Niefelheim does currently--I've always worried about the giants and their cold auras but now they have a reliable SC-killer too, and I think it's great.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:17 PM

General

Well, the main thing that irked me was the statement about Baalz "introducing us to a whole other Niefelheim". It's just not very new, not very different, and not much that hasn't been said before.

Atleast not in anything other than very specific notions about forging specific items, etc. Anyone can make suggestions about using 1 forged item over another. It doesn't entail a whole new way of playing.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:33 PM

Sergeant

fungalreason is on a distinguished road

Oh wow, you had the idea that Skratti were useful too?

/cookie

I'm sure Baalz spends all his free time going through your old posts to create new guides. You're seriously claiming the writing style is the same? Baalz's guide is a concise example of how to use Niefleheim without focusing overly on the Giants that are commonly the key component for the way many people use that nation. Each section describes what advantages the choices he makes gives you, and how to tie everything together in an efficient manner. Which is pretty darn useful for a GUIDE.

Your post appears to be more or less a random collection of terrible rituals that Gygias happen to have the paths for. He's not even talking about using them in the same manner. In all honesty I have a hard time finding any similarities other than you both love Skratti. Who doesn't?

In short, I'm sorry you didn't gain any new ideas from his post, but I'm not suprised. It's clear to me that you barely even read it. As a relatively new player I have yet to come across a guide of his that has not given me insight into some aspect of the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to fungalreason For This Useful Post:
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:03 AM

General

fungalreason, I'll thank you not to make any more personal attacks.

I won't bother responding to the rest of your post, because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but in the future, you might try making a reasonable argument, rather than just blindly sputtering.

I think I did a better job of defending Baalz than you did, sad to say.
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:23 AM

Private

alansmithee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
fungalreason, I'll thank you not to make any more personal attacks.

I won't bother responding to the rest of your post, because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but in the future, you might try making a reasonable argument, rather than just blindly sputtering.

I think I did a better job of defending Baalz than you did, sad to say.
Going back and reading both posts again, I really see very little similarity between what Baalz wrote and what you wrote, outside of using Skratti. The only undead he mentions are vampires and ghosts (actually, the only summons for that matter). And he doesn't say anything about using the priests or the scouts. Really, there's almost no similarity whatsoever. You mention boosting their province defense, which he doesn't really talk about at all.

You say you did a better job of defending him, but you were the only one attacking him. I don't understand why you took so much personal offense to what was, in my opinion, a very good guide. Most people see Niefelheim and think strong double bless, and use the giants. I even remember a post where someone mentioned it was a shame that they had skinshifters, because nobody ever uses them. And (which I think was the impetus for this guide) I recently read in another thread where someone mentioned if there was another way of playing Neifel, and another poster said ignoring a double-bless with giants isn't something that could be done and is playing against the nation's strengths.

So I really think your attack (which it was) was a bit out of line. If you do have a new way of playing them (like this guide presents) please create it. As it stands, you sound quite petty.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Well, the main thing that irked me was the statement about Baalz "introducing us to a whole other Niefelheim". It's just not very new, not very different, and not much that hasn't been said before.
I don't think Baalz honestly believes that there's been no one who's thought of using Skratti's and Skinshifters before. But there are people for whom these ideas are new, different and haven't been seen before. Just like all those different cookbooks out there, just because some of them share the same recipes doesn't automatically invalidate the others. Baalz wanted to make a Niefel guide.

And really how many different ways can you play niefel without mentioning "take e9,n4, kill people". Even though I don't agree with everything, I still have to give credit that I think some parts of the guide looks fun to play. (how many other guides actually proposes using flesheater axes and summoning ghosts?!)

That being said, I'd actually like to see a guide written by you Honeybadger since your posts here do look intriguing. I'm not too fond of Niefel so it's always nice to see some perspectives on how to play them.

Last edited by KissBlade; January 7th, 2009 at 04:35 AM..
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:15 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

BTW on a totally unrelated topic, this is something that I have to say always irked me when people commented. Honeybadger, both you and Baalz mentions that Niefel's power fades as late game progresses. See, that is true when people assume they're balanced like that, but they really aren't! As I pointed out, if anything, Niefel has better endgame than /most/ nations. They have durable mages (not vulnerable to artillery) with access to death and astral. AND they have recruitable SC chassis with skratti as thug chassis (and not even cap only WTF?!). That's why nations like Hinnom and Niefel bothers me. They have a great early game AND a great late game. BOO!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to KissBlade For This Useful Post:
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:42 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Most of the disparate ideas Baalz presents are quite familiar for a very long time. Like the most noticeable Skratti SCs and Dominion push. However the way he bound them together in his guide and added to them new perspective and the sheer balls it takes to make some of his suggestions (skip triple/dual bless, don't rely only on Niefel Jarls) - I find all this innovative and I think the credit for the innovation and the nice presentation does belong to Baalz.

That of course doesn't take anything from the ppl that came first with some tactics or ideas.
However all considered, it doesn't matter much IMO. Its not like we have patent lawyers for dominions guides and/or ideas. Posting guides is an altruistic act, the way I see it, not a reason for bickering about author rights.
I think politeness and fair conduct mandate that credit be given when possible or obvious but to expect that every one who posts a guide from now on sifts through old posts and try to find whether one of his ideas was mentioned before is way exaggerated.