.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 5th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pre-Ordering.

Done.
Though I'm still not sure everything will be compatible. (Hint: This is a good spot for some IW post saying wether modding, including new graphical sprites from Dom2 will be fully compatible with Dom3, and if not completely, then where will the incompatibilities be)
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:28 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agrajag said:
Done.
Though I'm still not sure everything will be compatible. (Hint: This is a good spot for some IW post saying wether modding, including new graphical sprites from Dom2 will be fully compatible with Dom3, and if not completely, then where will the incompatibilities be)
Did you look at the C'tis sprites that were posted earlier? They were 64x64 pixels.
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Quote:
Agrajag said:
Done.
Did you look at the C'tis sprites that were posted earlier? They were 64x64 pixels.
IIRC old sprites were 32x32, which could spell trouble :/
There is a simple solution, drawing the new sprites in 64x64 and then resizing them to fit dom2 (while still holding on to the higher quality originals).
This would mean that it is harder to draw sprites though :\
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM

We already have 32x32 sprites in Dom2 mods. They can be resized to be twice as big. If proportions haven't changed, they can be used. New 32x32 graphics can be made just as easily as they could be made for Dom2. The difference is that it is hard to do AS GOOD sprites as we get from Illwinter and from the artistically talented.
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

The problem is when you resize 32x32 to 64x64 you get really ugly sprites.
Think about it this way, for each "original" pixel you get four "bogus" pixels, so image quality can drop rapidly :/
That's why I think the originals should be 64x64 and resized to 32x32 solely for dom2.
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

AFAIK, the size of the unit's gfx remained the same for Doms 3. I received a private message from Kristoffer a couple of weeks ago. As you know I will make a fantasy based mod for Doms 3 [It will be a "vanilla" mod with elves, dwarves et cetera.]... so I asked him about unit gfx possibilities.
He said that the max. size of an unit is 128x128. I think that was the same for Doms 2.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Agrajag said:
The problem is when you resize 32x32 to 64x64 you get really ugly sprites.
Think about it this way, for each "original" pixel you get four "bogus" pixels, so image quality can drop rapidly :/
That's why I think the originals should be 64x64 and resized to 32x32 solely for dom2.
The units can't double in size, can they? They are drawn the same size as they were, or about the same size, judging from the screenshots. I didn't notice any spell effects being too big in regards to the units, although I don't remember any spell effects with the old sprites (lighting was old spell IIRC, but had new gfx). Any way, I presume that the mod sprites from DomII will look exactly like they were in Dom2 after they are resized to be twice as big. This is exactly what happened to e.g. the old Ulmish sprites drawn for Dom:PPP when DomII doubled the sprite size. They are uglier than other sprites, but that's not very noticeable until you have seen the Black Forest troops and realize what Ulm could have looked like.

My point is that even though old sprites made for DomII will look uglier when compared to the new Dom3 sprites, they won't look any worse as they'd have looked in a DomII game - if I quessed it right. However, recalling the Dom:PPP -> DomII change, so I'm pretty confident on this. Even more so than usual, when I argue just to prove my point.
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Well, the maximum unit size was 128x128 in Doms 2. as well, am I correct? This is the max. in Doms 3. at least, so you can have 32x32, 64x64, 128x128 sized units.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."