.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 17th, 2006, 01:43 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: horror mark on pretender

Quote:
Shovah32 said:
Umors stats (in my minimized game my test pretender is fighting him right now) are:
55 HP
15 Prot
19 MR
20 Strength
22 Attack
12 Defence
Blood Vengance +0
1xCurse Luck
1xLifedrain
4xAstral Claw

So, while umor is weaker (but cooler looking imo) than the hunter of heroes and the eater of dreams he has 4 attacks that add extra horror marks to who-ever he hits (which happens alot with his 22 attack) so, if Umor gets even a single round of attacks vrs your pretender (and with good health, mr and blood vengance he should get atleast one) the horror attacks will just increase and, once your pretender is cursed even horrors and lesser horrors should start stacking afflictions on him.

Also, Umor has multiple forms. The second form has less att and hp, but more defense. The third form even more so, and it is True Ethereal creature and even magical weapons have trouble hurting it.
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
KissBlade said:Though I'm somewhat amused at the prospect of sending in chaff + s2 mages to attack random provinces with horror mark x5 retreat or ritual returned ones to kill off some 70 gem investment or pretender that the player spent 300 points + on.

Are you sure this would work? As I said, I tested this, 5 vs 5 mages both casting Horror Mark five times. It took many turns before anything happened when everyone was under Magic 3 dominion. Many turns, while they were casting Horror Mark on each other every turn. Many turns. When the horrors did attack, they were randomly lesser horror or doom horrors and that is wrong, but that's already been changed. Horror Mark x5 isn't an automatic death sentence any more than Curse!

However, because Horrors cause further Horror Mark, it is also possible that a pretender once killed by a horror has so high a horror mark that he'd be instantly attacked again when he returns. In this case, the problem would be with horrors' attack, but could also be solved by lowering Horror Mark when a pretender is recalled. Low Horror Mark isn't bad. Extremely high Horror Mark is bad. Horror Mark, the spell, doesn't cause extremely high Horror Mark. High-level Evocation Astral Geyser does that.
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

I wonder what would be that best way to see Horrors. Hmmm'e.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Corporal

tka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nerfix said:
I wonder what would be that best way to see Horrors. Hmmm'e.
Adding site called The Forgotten City to a map. Enter only with strong commander.
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Lieutenant General

The Forgotten City?

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 17th, 2006, 07:45 AM

I have to see THAT!

EDIT:
A strange site. "An astral mage may enter to seek treasures."

Pity it's only Astral mages, but still... 3 guys died when a Lesser Horror ate him. One Theurg survived two crossbow and a sword trap, then wounded a Lesser Horror with a Freezing Touch after his Emerald Guard bodyguards started routing, the LH flew away from him and into the path of a fleeing EG and got killed! Next turn he found a magic item (Thorn Staff... ) but a Horror killed him.
The next try, an Arch Theurg scripted to cast Smite, returned with a Soul Contract without encountering anything.
I switched to the next guy, who entered and found 1500+ gp and 40 gp. Then the enemy died of dominion-loss, as this was a 6-province tiny test map. A cool site, wouldn't you say?

Thanks for mentioning it, tka!
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

Maltrease is on a distinguished road

I would like to see some benefit to defeating horrors. A simple thing might be to reduce the horror mark level as you defeat a horror. But more interesting would be actually gaining power and abilities as you kill them. Perhaps boosting astral magic... or gaining some otherworldly things.

Granted most things are still going to die when the godly horrors attack, but it would be awesome if you could build a strategy around defeating horrors and gaining power in that "plane of existence".

Another idea could be an item (or items) that could be worn to protect against horror marks, help out in a battle against a horror, slowly reduce the horror marking or lower the chance of being attacked.
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Endoperez said:

I have to see THAT!

EDIT:
A strange site. "An astral mage may enter to seek treasures."

Pity it's only Astral mages, but still... 3 guys died when a Lesser Horror ate him. One Theurg survived two crossbow and a sword trap, then wounded a Lesser Horror with a Freezing Touch after his Emerald Guard bodyguards started routing, the LH flew away from him and into the path of a fleeing EG and got killed! Next turn he found a magic item (Thorn Staff... ) but a Horror killed him.
The next try, an Arch Theurg scripted to cast Smite, returned with a Soul Contract without encountering anything.
I switched to the next guy, who entered and found 1500+ gp and 40 gp. Then the enemy died of dominion-loss, as this was a 6-province tiny test map. A cool site, wouldn't you say?

Thanks for mentioning it, tka!
Cool! I wonder if it could be made more generic and all commanders could enter into it...

- Kristoffer O.
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maltrease said:
I would like to see some benefit to defeating horrors ... But more interesting would be actually gaining power and abilities as you kill them. Perhaps boosting astral magic... or gaining some otherworldly things.
Wow, that's an awesome idea!
It would be really cool if by killing a horror you absorb its powers, you could have the weaker ones give simple bonuses like +1MR, and then the uber-horrors could make you etheral or lucky
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

I did have one of my commanders (the Mictlan Eagle Priest... not the best choice to subject a national hero to this) draw a Hunter of Heroes within several turns of having Nethgul.

Even killed it the first time, before I made the error of switching out the Spirit Helm for a Wraith Crown; the lightning is actually far more useful than the longdead here. Armor of Souls + MR amulet + heroic defense helped. Probably should have used a Phoenix Rod; Horrors are lacking in elemental resistances.