.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 5th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Sergeant

zepath is on a distinguished road
Default New Nation: Teutanion (Update v1.11)

Presented here is a new Late Ages nation for your game-time enjoyment:

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Dagger.gif[/img] Teutanion [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Dagger.gif[/img]

When so many nations turned to devilry , inquisition [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Campfire.gif[/img], and vengeful magic [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Fish.gif[/img], the kings of Teutanion stood rigid against what they saw as the debasing of essential values. The virtues of the knightly gentleman (courage, justice, courtesy, and martial prowess among them) were exalted by the noble houses and a new order of vaunted warriors was created. The Knights of the Crown embody the chivalric code and fight for the High King of Teutanion and his noble princes. Chivalry came to be expected of magicians as well, and in the hope of spreading virtuous attitudes among the practitioners of magic an academy was created to train worthy applicants in the mysterious ways of the elements and the etiquette of the court. Inspired by the revelation of the new god, the Teutan nobles and their knightly and wizardly orders are rallying as one to the banner of the High King and preparing to campaign against a backward and wicked world.

This nation is an addition to the normal Late Ages nations (nation number 70) and will not replace any of the original nations. I have done some limited play-testing to make sure there is nothing extremely unbalanced about the mod and it seems to fit in well. Load it up, check out the readme file, and give the mighty Teutans a try. Please let me know your impressions and concerns so I can make this mod even better!

v1.1: 176 downloads
v1.0: 99 downloads

CHANGES FOR v1.11 (thanks to PvK):

-Light cavalry fixed
-Slight adjustments to halberdier stats

CHANGES FOR v1.1:

-New commander: 2546 Elementalist
-Blue Wizard has been given Poor Amphibian ability
-White Wizard has been given Shock Resistance 100
-Halberdier & Brown Wizard given decreased encumberance
-Halberdier & Foot Knight attack and defense skills adjusted
-Peasants & Footmen gold costs slightly reduced
Attached Files
File Type: zip 467539-dom3_mod_teutanion_111.zip (1.72 MB, 1685 views)

Last edited by Edi; August 27th, 2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Prefix
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Nation: Teutanion

Sounds good. I like the theme. Im not much into Late Era games but I might take a look at this one.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Sergeant

At least 35 downloads... Is anyone giving these guys a go? I know Teutanion isn't out there on the hairy edge of the dominions world [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon27.gif[/img] (they're very much the generic human fantasy nation on purpose), but to those who have played it, what do you think of the mod and have any bugs [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Bug.gif[/img] or imbalances [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Martini.gif[/img] come up?

I am currently working on the second in a series of mods based on Warhammer Fantasy nations, but would like to get any kinks out of this one before I release another. For those who are interested in the next nation... think Sylvania...
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

I dled your mod and will give Teutanion later a try.
I like the crusader feel of your nation and your sprites are good work too imho.

Currently i am basically taking a dom3 break though (MTW 2 ), so i will comment again when i have finished a sp game with your mod.

But from the quick glance i took at your mod i am almost certain that i will enjoy Teutanion and they seem quite balanced too
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:05 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Nice artwork!

I am surprised to see that none of the mages have a chance to get an extra magic skill.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:03 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
zepath said:
...and vengeful magic [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Fish.gif[/img], the kings of ...
Why the fish for vengeful magic???

R'yleh Dreamlands??
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:38 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

It is VERY good. One of the best mods for Dominions I remember ever seeing. The graphics are very good, and fit very well with the other troops. The units are well balanced, but perhaps a tad expensive - Peasant Spearmen/Swordsmen could be just 8 gp and both Footmen just 11 gp, IMO. National troops are usually a bit better than the independents.

Blue Wizards lack waterbreathing. That contradicts their description a bit. Does "the sense of justice" of the Red Wizards do anything? Patrol bonus, #okleader, anything would do, really. Lightning Resistance isn't a good ability either, IMHO.

You might want to add a "Grey Acolyte", a mage with one 100% elemental random, recruitable in all castles but costing almost as much as a full-trained Wizard from the capital, 80 gp or so. Of course, if you want to make mages rare and national commanders common on purpose, feel free to ignore this.

Halberdiers and Brown Wizards both mention that they are renowned for thier fortitude. I suggest giving both just encumberance 2. Also, Halberdiers have defence 13, Foot Knights just defence 11.

All of their heroes are WONDERFUL! I also like how you used so many of the new modding capabilities in Dom3 in simple but effective ways. The heroes, again, but also the new magic sites. Ley Line Conflux... I love it!

EDIT:
Also, forgot two things:

The national pretender is very interesting. Perhaps he should have defense 5 instead of 0, too. Also, he seems to be missing his weapon (Spear). It might be impossible to actually give him attacks, what with the #immobile tag. You might want to change that to mapmove 0 instead, if that's possible. I like the idea of a pretender who has limited ability to move, but won't leave the capital.

High King could have a magical scabbard giving him rejuvenation. That'd also increase his maxage a bit, so he'd be less likely to get afflictions (even if he was old).
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Nice mod. I like everything from the concept to the graphics.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road

Excellent nation but perhaps a little too restricted in magic even for late age (especially with all mages capital only). Adding an elemental random (say 50% AEFW or even 10%) on all mages, allowing some use of cross-path spells and items, would be a good idea IMO as well as a non capital only mage to make research easier (with 1 pick, random elemental or eventually astral or nature). With all mages capital only princes will probably never be recruited.
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Sergeant

Boron, I envy the MTW2...

NT Jedi, I dunno, the fish just seemed particularly vengeful at the time.

Endoperez, thanks for the detailed critique and kudos. Your comments and suggestions helped me a great deal in improving some of the Dom2 mods I made earlier in the year. The wizards' descriptions suggest those aspects of their personality to tie each of the colleges in with one of the cardinal virtues of Catholic philosophy. For whatever reason I imagined the red wizards being the arbiters of justice. I'll make the tweaks to the brown wizards, halberdiers, and foot knights. I intended the Colossus to be an earth magic version of the Sacred Statue, giving Teutanion a unique, immobile, high-dominion pretender. I had thought about allowing it to move and fight, but not leave the capital as you suggest, but to be honest was too lazy to draw another sprite for it... I may change this in a later version. As for the high king, I wanted him to come into the game already in old age. I imagined Sean Connery as an elderly but strong crusader-king (read Richard the Lionheart in Robin Hood: King of Thieves) and built the unit on that idea. He takes up the sword again in his old age with the coming of the god in order to seek an honorable death on the battlefield before the advance of time claims him.

To those who think the mages are too restricted, you are probably right. I haven't had a lot of experience with Late Ages games (a terrible fault since I'm making a number of nation mods for the Late Ages), and I got hung up on the idea that LA nations were supposed to be magic-poor. Endo and Twan's suggestion for a low-level elemental random mage recruitable in all fortresses will be implimented for v1.1.

What is the proper command for patrol bonuses?