.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Keeping Kristoffer in the dark.

You can also write your ideas with a good old pen-and-paper. I know it seems quite prehistoric, but I heard some bushmen still use it, and that it really works.

For my part I use this method to write my RPG scenarios, but I'm french (=backward redneck), and we're still waiting for the first Ford T to arrive to our country.

Senior member of the GLIN !

Last edited by Humakty; November 17th, 2008 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: spelling...
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Corporal

Singularity24601 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
There are ways around it, yes, unsatisfactory though they may be (and 10 dollars is actually a lot of money for me, right at the moment. I've got exactly $9.75 in free spending money that has to last atleast until Christmas-provided ofcourse, that I would even be allowed to use a pendrive on this computer. I'm severely limited by major security perogatives, and there's very little I can do, or would want to do, to get around them. The computer hardware itself isn't that bad, it's just that it can only be used in certain severely prescribed ways.) but really, I'm most bothered by the paradox: I want to post my work on the forums, I want people to see it, and I want creative freedom, but I also want more Nations from Kristoffer, and by posting my own ideas, that seems to cause Kristoffer to limit himself.

And ofcourse, multiply "I" by everyone here.

The question is, is there a solution that satisfies both the consumer who wants to produce, and the producer who wants to produce entirely original work?
(Warning, I'm writing this while sleep deprived and having taken a StillNox... I am now in a consciousness-impaired state ).

Well... I for one found HoneyBadger's planning posts very enjoyable. I don't believe in "idea squatting". 'Uncopyrightable' ideas from fiction/non-fiction should be a shared resource for everyone. 'Copyrightable' ideas can be presented for peer-review, and may even enrich competitive ideas. Even ideas that don't eventuate into a mod are valuable in my opinion. So I say, HoneyBadger, thanks for sharing in this forum, and the more the merrier! (If there's issues about newbies becoming confused, there should be other ways of overcoming that.)

Yeah, I dream of a community where research resources are shared, where mods and ideas come with references, whether to a book *cough* *Osprey*, or an author's explanation of how a fictional unit was created, eg:

- These vampiric knights are loosely interpreted from the historical Vlad II, Vlad III, and the Order of the Dragon.

- I watched the movie 'Lone Wolf and Cub' and have abdapted its fictional 'Kogi Kaishakunin' into my mod as sort of the Shogun's Champion.

- Cretan archers were famous in their era of warfare as exceptional archers, but ('for conceptual portability/invariancy') I have renamed them "Makrophetes" (Anglicised Greek = long bows) because the use long bows, unlike other Greeks.

And if the terms you're talking about cannot be found on Google/Wikipedia/Wikidictionary if would be great if something were provided so that one could read further, which might even lead to new interpretations.

Last edited by Singularity24601; November 17th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: line spacing
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Heehee. Most of my posts are planning posts. And I specifically say (often) that I am thrilled if someone takes it from me and creates it. Im big on ideas but its only interesting to me until I prove that it will work. Then I never seem to finish it and upload it. Im really not big on the maintenance thing that such items require.

Some of the best items in the game (IMHO) came about that way. Mega games, SemiRand, automatic servers, map editors, etc.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humakty View Post
You can also write your ideas with a good old pen-and-paper. I know it seems quite prehistoric, but I heard some bushmen still use it, and that it really works.

The last time I dabbled in these arcane and cryptic arts, I got Horror Marked. True story, it's a *****.
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the support, everyone. I don't have any negative issues about this at all, it's just a confounding dilemma.

Gandalf, I'm afraid I don't know Linux. Do you remember BASIC? I know a little BASIC...One time I wrote this awesome program that made this little yellow ball bounce across a screen. Other than the competitive game element, it was almost as good as Pong-and unlike Pong, my program had color!
well, it had one color Yeah...I miss BASIC.

My problem is that I have a whole lot of time to research new ideas for Nations, but not that much time to actually complete them, since I work on the phones all day, and can read online, but can't do actual work very well, so it's easy for me to develope Nation ideas, but not so much to do graphics or .DM coding, so that's why I do all the planning posts.

And if anyone here ever wants to create a Nation, but they don't know what they want to make, please let me know! I've got tons of ideas, good ones, I think, that I'll probably never, ever find time to complete myself.

Last edited by HoneyBadger; November 17th, 2008 at 03:54 PM..
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Yeah I remember Basic.
I still use it. Writing system tools on my servers, CGI's for my web pages, programs for modifying files in Dominions 3. The SemiRand program is in Basic if I remember right.

A knowledge of Basic, and DOS, is a great tutorial for the linux system. You would find yourself at home (and empowered) by its text mode.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

only 9.75 till X-mas.. that sounds ... weird for someone with a job
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM

General

Someone with a job, a wife, a mortgage, a family to buy presents for, a healthy appetite, and current gas prices...yeah, it's actually not that weird
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

The whole situation seems weird to me.

But what do I know.
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM

General

It's a little weird, but it's for security (and since 9-11, security in this country *has* gotten weird).