.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:33 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The New Hinnom Nation

Is it? For getting heroes?

For most things, invading a high luck neighbor should be like having no luck, until your dominion takes over, but I'd always assumed the hero chance was calculated at your capital since that's where he appears.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:52 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

I've often wondered about this.
What is the purpose of having luck in each terrain, unless each terrain has a possibility of generating an event in that terrain.

Are there capitol only events?

So the question, more or less, are there capitol only events, or do things like temples/labs/capitol merely enable certain classes of events.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I think the game chooses a province and an event (perhaps not in that order), checks if they work together, and tries again until it finds a combination that works. So labs are only destroyed if there are labs, and you get something else if there isn't a lab.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:20 AM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

IIRC at least in dom2 forums it was said that the event frequency was dependant on capital dominion, but the exact nature depended on scales of the province (which was randomly chosen).

As it was, turmoil/luck nations had terrible day when invading order/misfortune lands. Ewww...
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

Gem generating events seem to be tied to terrain type, among other things. "Huge amount of water gems floated ashore" happens in coastal provinces. Death in swamps, fire in wasteland... So there's a slight amount of extra strategy involved in your conquests.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Chrispedersen, I somewhat doubt you have gotten most heroes by turn 30 with luck -3. Since the heroes have worked this way since dom 1 and most other people seem to have impressions consistent with the way they are supposed to work I think you might have misremembered.

The appearence of heroes is based solely on homeprovince luck scale. Captured provinces won't matter. As someone said it should be 3% +/- 1 per scale setting a turn to get a hero.

Number of luck events are determnined by homeprovince scales and number of provinces, IIRC. The events are categorised as either bad luck or good luck events, the ratio of which are dependent on your home province luck scale. Once the general nature and number of events are determined the will be randomly assigned to provinces. There they will be randomly generated if the province does not have the requirements for an event the event will be rerolled. For the purposes of what events might occur enemy dominion luck scale in a province will be coniderewd unluck, unluck scales will still be unluck. So in order to get the 3000 gold event you will have the event occur in a province where you have your dominion and a plus 3 luck scale.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:29 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

I have had Order 3 Misfortune 3 in over a dozen+ games and I have never had a hero.

Misfortune 3 = no heroes!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:50 PM

Sergeant

hunt11 is on a distinguished road

my view is that the best scales for Hinnom is 3 in everything but luck and magic with a -1 for luck and 1 for magic, I know that any race would work well with those stats, but you get a lot better results out of Hinnom with these
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
johan osterman said:
Chrispedersen, I somewhat doubt you have gotten most heroes by turn 30 with luck -3. Since the heroes have worked this way since dom 1 and most other people seem to have impressions consistent with the way they are supposed to work I think you might have misremembered.

The appearence of heroes is based solely on homeprovince luck scale. Captured provinces won't matter. As someone said it should be 3% +/- 1 per scale setting a turn to get a hero.

Number of luck events are determnined by homeprovince scales and number of provinces, IIRC. The events are categorised as either bad luck or good luck events, the ratio of which are dependent on your home province luck scale. Once the general nature and number of events are determined the will be randomly assigned to provinces. There they will be randomly generated if the province does not have the requirements for an event the event will be rerolled. For the purposes of what events might occur enemy dominion luck scale in a province will be coniderewd unluck, unluck scales will still be unluck. So in order to get the 3000 gold event you will have the event occur in a province where you have your dominion and a plus 3 luck scale.
You may be right. I have no idea what the total number of heros are. But in the current game, with luck -3, with less than 30 turns, I have two of the sons, the first and the 3rd son.

In a Gath Game, with -3 luck ... less than turn 40 .. I have 2 heros as well, although I cannot recall their names.

I do not mean to say that I am getting more than 50%. I do mean to say that having a negative luck scale, and -3 in particular does not seem to be precluding getting national heros.

I also do mean to say that I have observed this on enough games that I believe this is not statistically aberrant.

So, I don't know if its
a) because we do not know the mechanism for heros
b) perhaps its a racial feature of the new races

but I'm reasonably sure its not
c). I'm hallucinating.

I would further contend a couple of points:
I don't believe luck scales consider a ratio at all. I believe rather it represents each individual luck events chance of being good or bad.

However, the ratio of events will vary widely.

I do agree that luck, dominion, and scales, as well as the contents and territory type do contribute and/or unlock certain events.

Lastly: I have often wondered did fortune teller units reduce the percentage chance of bad events - or, did it represent the chance of cancelling a bad event. I tend to believe the latter.

To illustrate:
Suppose you have 10 fortune teller units with a cumulative 50% chance.

Suppose you have Negative luck, to the extent that you have a 33% chance good, 66% bad.

Does the fortune teller reduce the chance of bad to 16%.. or as I suspect if a negative event occurs, does it have a 50% choice of cancelling it.

The former makes fortune tellers much more important.
But I have to say in thinking about it.. with around 10 fortune tellers.. I don't EVER recall getting a negative event.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:26 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

I didn't realise you were talking about the new Gath heroes specifically. IIRC these Gath heroes are not proper heroes per se, but commanders recieved as nation specific events. That is you recieve them as events rather than through the national hero mechanism. The reason this mechanic was used, once again IIRC, was primarily because there is a hardcoded limit to the number of specific heroes available to a nation and the number of lords of civilisation exceded the maximum number of heroes, so in order to have sons of each lord Kristoffer figured he would go this route. Still, perhaps the event is a bit to common.

I guess my english failed me. Because it was very much my intent to convey the idea that the luck scales result in a a percenage that an event is either is good or bad, not that luck scales determine a fixed number of good or bad events for each number of random events. Perhaps it was my use of the word ratio that muddled the issue.

The fortune tellers have a chance of cancelling events.