.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 26th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Sergeant

Molog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A thought from my brother and I...

When casting site searching spells I would like to be able to see whether a province has already been searched and the type of terrain of a province when selecting the target of the spell.

A backpack item slot in which units could store any item. Possible for cursed items found on the battlefield.

Immunity to disease for certain magical beings like angels and elemental royalty.

All dominions 2 bugs fixed .
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:17 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

> When casting site searching spells I would like to be able to see whether a province has already been searched and the type of terrain of a province when selecting the target of the spell.

Good point.

> A backpack item slot in which units could store any item. Possible for cursed items found on the battlefield.

Cursed items don't let themselves be put in bags. They invariably end up in the possession of their finder and corrupts him. The finder will never part from his precious once he gets his fingers on it.

> Immunity to disease for certain magical beings like angels and elemental royalty.

Hmm. In some part a good idea. But I really like diseased angels. Sort of losing their divinity when they come to our world.

>All dominions 2 bugs fixed .

We wouldn't want that would we?
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

Scott Hebert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:
> When casting site searching spells I would like to be able to see whether a province has already been searched and the type of terrain of a province when selecting the target of the spell.

Good point.
A point regarding this. May I suggest a palette shift on provinces that have been already searched? That seems the easiest way to know whether a given site has been searched with a given spell. Alternatively, being able to bring up the F1 screen to select a province that way would work just as well.

Along these same lines, could we please have 'sticky-note' capability? I'd dearly like to be able to put notes directly on the map that tell me certain things about the provinces in question.

'Knights - avoid' or 'Library here' and stuff. It would work best if it were completely configurable (i.e., I type in what the note says), but even a color-configured push-pin system would work, too.
Old March 28th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Sergeant

sushiboat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Dominions 3: \"Wishlist\"

In the screen for casting ritual spells, a player's gem inventory is shown at the top. When going down a long list of spells, however, the gem inventory scrolls off. If the gem inventory could be locked at the top so it doesn't scroll, that would be great.

The unit info cards in the battle movies should have the nation's flag. Sometimes a unit will switch sides during a battle, and it's not always easy to tell.

Most suggestions are for the programming side, so I wil make a couple of game art suggestions. First, a splash screen or animation for major events -- especially final victory -- would be nice. Second, the event messages are very plain. I'd like to see some small pictures or icons added. For example, any province disaster could show a dark sky and people weeping over dead bodies. Tarot card art or CCG art might be good places to get ideas. I know that creating new art for every possible spell effect would be a lot of work, but using themes that cover several spells or kinds of events should be manageable. In some cases, you could even use existing Dom2 art -- e.g., the icon of the magic site found. A good luck event could have the four-leaf clover.
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Sergeant

sushiboat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Dominions 3: \"Wishlist\"

How about a magic shop that sells magic items and summoned creatures? Every turn, some of the unsold items and creatures would drop off the inventory, and new ones would be added. Most RPG games have a magic shop, though I don't think it is common in war/strategy games. In addition to adding an element of random fun, the magic shop might also collect information about the relative demand for different items and units.

Here is a possible game description:

The Mage Guild

The Mage Guild is devoted solely to advancing the study and practice of magic. It is an independent international organization, with a branch in every nation's capital. Although each nation is suspicious of an organization not under its control, the Mage Guild is tolerated because its scholarly activities benefit the training of new mages. The Guild sells magic items and summoned creatures at reasonable prices.
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:52 AM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road
Default three unrelated suggestions

Three unrelated things:
  • I've come to think about Taqwus "Forced March" proposal again. I really like the idea to be able to trade battle force for mobility, but I think it should not be generic and available to everyone:

So a forced march should give ordinary living non-flyers, non-swimmers an additional movement point at the cost of a temporary moral loss and initial fatigue.

I think that the fatigue obtained by forced marching should be based on the encumberance score and that 0 encumberance units should be excluded. A soulless is already marching at his top speed, so there is no way to force it to move faster. So maybe the lifeless and mindless tags should prohibit forced marching too.

Maybe "forced march" could allow to move one single step behind enemy lines, like flyers are able to do.

• It's ok that the world population will eventually drop to zero in a war of gods and raw magical forces, but I would really like to see more immigration effects due to bad/good scales, high/low taxes, natural disasters and good/bad scales.

• The map editor should allow the deletion and adding of white dots while preserving the semantics of the map file. Have you ever added or removed one or two provinces in a map? The renumbering throughout the file is a pretty dull and error-prone task.

Idea: All province numbers should have a unique syntax, e.g. like adding braces to distinguish pronvice number [32] from the terrain modifier 32 or for the unit type number 32. It would make manual editing much more simpler (search and replace) or allow lazy bats like me to come up with an external tool for renumbering map files, as one would not need to care for the semantics of all those numbers inside the mapfile...
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:15 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: suggestion

I think its been mentioned but I'm not sure. I'd like mages in hand to hand to be able to cast the touch only spells. Either automatically or (better yet) as another option in the tactical combat screen.

The best I can do now is script something like "buff buff buff attack attack spells" which sort of works, but that has lots of problems.
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:31 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

I'd really like to see the game announce when turns aren't given for a nation - this would really help to know when some @*#$ decides to start staling for 5, 10, 20 turns, and he could be set AI, or at least everyone knows that it's time to start clawing out a piece of those territories.
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:45 PM

Corporal

Azhur is on a distinguished road

Armor and weapon breaking would be a nice add to bring that one bit more realism. The breaking would show up on the unit sheet similarly to a battle affliction (broken sword&shield icon) pointing which equipment is broken. There would be two possible break-downs: 'halving' and 'complete'. Halving would halve the power/protection/defence of the equipment, while complete destroys it entirely. Magic equipment is much more resistant to the breaking effect.

This naturally brings up 'repair'-skill, (compare to 'heal) which repairs X amount of equipment depending on how good repairer you're using (More uses for Master Dwarf).
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Armor can already break down. They need to be weakened first (with Acid spells or Rust Mist/similar spells), and even then it takes a strong hit to actually break the armor, but it does happen. The armors are repaired when the units spend some time in province with spare resource points.

Magical armors (magic items) are immune to this, and there might be a flail/morning star having this effect in the magic item lists.